PDA

View Full Version : From Beaumont, CA - JUST PASSED STATE TEST!

MrProducer
09-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Greetings everyone from hot and arid, Beaumont, CA.

I JUST passed the state written test in California and I am looking for friends, advice, and a sponsor to take me on.

I e-mailed the California Hawking Club apprentice chair two weeks ago with no response. Below are the answers to the auto-response e-mail they sent me.

I would appreciate any help and tips you could give me. Thanks!!!

-Mark L.

Have you passed your falconry exam with the state?
Yes. 96%

Have you joined the CHC?
Yes. I paid for membership.

What is your Zip code?

Tell me a bit about yourself (i.e. age, occupation, are you a hunter, why you are interested in falconry).
I am nearly 33 years old. I am a film producer.

I am an occasional hunter and have started to go on more hunting trips now that my sons are in cub scouts.

I was first introduced to falconry last year when I worked for CBS television. A man was hired to fly his Harris' hawks around the Water Garden office building. Every afternoon I would see him clearing the central lake of sea birds during my lunch break. One day, I decided to come up to him and he explained all the responsibilities of falconry and since I lived near Hemet that I should really consider it if I was ready for the challenge. After a year of contemplation and study, I feel that I am ready for the challenge.

Do you know what you want to fly? (Kestrel, Redtail, don't know.)
I honestly want to find a mentor that suits me first. I hope one day to fly a number of birds.

kw1001
09-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Congrats on the test.
My brother and I grew up in Calimesa and flew hawks and falcons in Beaumont, Calimesa, Yucaipa, Hemet, Ontario, etc. What a great place to be for falconry (at least it was back then - 1990s.)
Keep asking and I'm sure you'll find local falconers to be helpful. You'll want to look into slope soaring redtails for jacks and cottontails. Many great memories!
Kenny Wahl

kw1001
09-18-2014, 03:41 PM
We're both about 600 miles north of you now. He still practices. I don't. Best of luck~

Big Foot
09-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Hey mark,

Welcome to the roller coaster, congratulations on passing you test. I expect you may struggle "finding a sponsor online". If you're unsure whether to fly a kestrel or redtail, drive around your home and see what quarry you can find for either species/sex. Whatever you have the most of should determine what raptor you get.
Nothing will frustrate you or your bird more than failing to provide suitable slips.

On a side note, you might want to make use of the signature setting - that way your posts are signed with your name.

kekekwag
09-19-2014, 08:53 AM
congrats on passing the test!

forensics
09-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Congrats, your now on your way to a wonderful and exciting endeavor.

WJN
09-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Welcome and congrats! I'm finishing up my first year so I know what its like. The CHC is probably contacting prospective sponsors trying to find one for you in your area. There is an on line directory on the CHC site that has the name, city and contact info. It does not have everyone who is a member, just those who fill in the online data. But it could lead to something. Good luck!

MrProducer
09-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks so much everyone for the help, advice and well wishes!

Through these boards, I found an awesome sponsor in my area. I spent about 2-3 hours with him today.

These boards are awesome. Expect to see me on here a lot.

WJN
09-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Great! You're on your way!

KBT56
10-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Mark,

Congratulations on passing the CA exam and finding a sponsor. I live near you in Orange County, my family also has a place in Big Bear. I am planning on taking my CA exam in the near future and starting my apprenticeship.

Have you found any places to trap and hunt in your area? I would to maybe stay in touch with you to learn about where you are practicing.

Let me know....thanks...!

MrProducer
10-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Absolutely, Kevin.

I am lucky to be surrounded with apparently the best hunting fields in southern CA.

Tell me a bit about yourself...

What are you gonna fly? I also have access to some sponsors now. If you need help, let me know, then I will hook you up with some good ones. I have met new falconers in Corona and Riverside, that's really close for you.

What are you planning to fly? Working on my mews now, but I am going red tail...specifically, my sponsor knows where to get the dark morph Harlan's Hawk variety...all black and white. YESSSS!

Contact me anytime. Look for me on Facebook under Mark V. Lagrimas or marklagrimas@gmail.com

Pass that test so I can see you in the field soon!

KBT56
10-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Mark,

I will send a more lengthy reply via G-Mail...