PDA

View Full Version : I live to learn!

IMOwly
09-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone!
I am a wildlife tech at an animal hospital currently, but for seven years I was the Bird of Prey and Wildlife curator at the local zoo. Now I run my own educational programs (Phoenix Wildlife Education) using my Barred owl- Ripley and Screech-Seymore along with a myriad of my other 27 exotics (all rescues and donations). I go to local schools and businesses and educate on native wildlife here in FL and on responsible exotic pet ownership.
I am looking forward to gaining any and all information I can to better myself and my programs.
Looking forward to learning from you all!

mcogar88
09-21-2014, 09:45 AM
http://www.nafex.net/misc.php?do=cfrules

Read this, and make sure to sign your name or you will get written up. =)

Also, how are you using a barred owl, and screech owl for you shows. I know in Wisconsin at least your not permitted to use falconry, rehabilitation or education birds for profit. I know there are loop holes like allow the use of exotic's, and I believe captive bred birds. Just curious what permit your holding the birds under.

Otherwise nice to meet you welcome to the site. Don't forget this is a falconry site, dedicated to falconry.

"Falconry is the taking of wild quarry in its natural state and habitat using a trained bird of prey"

IMOwly
09-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I did get a warning and a point...oops. My shows are non-flight educational and I do not charge a fee for the programs. I have a special purpose educational permit that requires 12 public shows per year. I didn't realize that I could not use this site if I was not a falconer. I came here just to get and share information, techniques etc. Am I not allowed to be here because I am not a falconer?? There are not many forum sites for raptors and I thought this would be interesting.

Jenny Henry

Tyme2fly
09-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Oh you are allowed just realize that this is a falconry site. Welcome to the chaos.

IMOwly
09-29-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if more chaos is what I am looking for. Working at an animal hospital I get enough of that with the rehabs not getting along with one another on a regular basis. I appreciate the welcome Tyme2fly, but I was hoping to learn from people and to not be judged. I was not expecting my first interaction to be questioning my ethics.
Jenny

gemiller
09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
That's not at all the intent of everyone's response IMOwly, it's more to make sure you're aware that we are involved in hunting sport here on NAFEX. Falconers sometimes get flack from "rehabbers" for what we do and other times people just think the forum is for "bird keepers". We can respect everyone else's place in the birds of prey world, and just want to make sure you can see it the same way.

harrishawker1
09-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Hi Jenny.
Please don't be so uptight.
Like already stated. This is a falconry site.

WJN
09-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Welcome Jenny. We are all interested in the art of falconry. That being said we are also interested in the health and conditioning of our birds. I have found there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. Enjoy.

sharptail
09-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Hi Jenny,
To most real falconers, owls are for bird fanciers not falconry. Those that have owl pets are sometimes refered to as having the 'Harry Potter syndrome'. Another Forum has become overrun with falconer wannabees and a lot of them KEEP owls. Very few owls make good and consistant HUNTING falconry birds and bird keepers are not well respectected in our hunting community. When your avatar come along with the name Owly you may understand how many of us cringe and think, oh lordy, not again, as the Owl keepers proclaim their right to be called falconers and demand respect which they don't get, mainly. I don't think that there is a problem with nonfalconer raptor people using the site to learn, as long as they are not anti falconry. I hope this helps you understand why your intro may not have been well recieved.

IMOwly
09-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Now I understand! I can see why you all thought what you did. Please let me explain...
I was trained to work with birds of prey by a falconer at the zoo I worked at. I have NO problem with falconry and appreciate it's incredibly long history and have the utmost respect for the work and dedication to this passion. Yes I have owls, no they are not pets. They live in a mew and are weathered like other raptors I would love to be a falconer, but I know for a fact that with my lifestyle I do not have the time required to dedicate to a bird. That being said, I love to educate the public on wildlife, especially raptors. I work at an animal hospital where we get everything from Eagles to Vultures that are injured by people who only see them as a nuisance. My passion is educating the public on the importance of these animals. I came to learn from you, that's all.
Jenny