PDA

View Full Version : Iowa - Fields of Dreams??

iowafalconer
03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey all,

I am a general falconer from Iowa. In a nutshell, I got started in the mid to late 1990s. Marriage and kids butted into falconry time for the better part of the last 7 years. With our baby going to pre-school next fall I find myself feeling the falconry itch again and able to scratch it.

Unfortunately, we had a house fire in 2005 and we lost everything except the clothes we had on, including all my falconry gear! I replaced "most" of it and have been spending the past months dreaming yet again.

I have no solid desire on what I want to fly. I enjoy dirt-hawking, but who knows what I will decide...

Regards,

Chet - from northeast Iowa

zx2run
03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum! From what i have seen of Iowa it looks like good hawking country. What kind of birds did you fly in the past?

iowafalconer
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I have flown a couple redtails and had an imprint gos (that later developed asper and died). I also had a kestrel for a week or so but it had "mouth cheese" so I treated it and let it go...

everetkhorton
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I have flown a couple redtails and had an imprint gos (that later developed asper and died). I also had a kestrel for a week or so but it had "mouth cheese" so I treated it and let it go...

Chet:
I have never heard of "Mouth cheese", could that be frounce?
Ev.

iowafalconer
03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
It was indeed frounce.

Shungar
03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi and (welc) to NAFEX.

Chris L.
03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Chet,
Welcome to NAFEX. I am so sorry for the loss of your house to a fire. It is good to hear all are ok. If you need any equipment let me know I am sure I can get something together for you.

Good luck with this up and coming season, keep us posted

again Welcome

John
03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Hey, Welcome. Where are you in Iowa? I've been hunting near Iowa City just about every year for the past eight years or so. I love it up there and most years it's just loaded with pheasant. Usually I visit family and hunt, but since they're moving, I don't know when I'll be back.

iowafalconer
03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey, Welcome. Where are you in Iowa? I've been hunting near Iowa City just about every year for the past eight years or so. I love it up there and most years it's just loaded with pheasant. Usually I visit family and hunt, but since they're moving, I don't know when I'll be back.

I am north of IC about an hour and a half.