PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NE Ohio

SteveH
11-08-2014, 10:18 AM
My name is Steve and live in North East Ohio on a farm. A few years back we retired from all livestock. Now we are a small grain operation. I grew up in the fields and woods with a great appreciation for nature and the outdoors (Thanks Dad!).
I love hunting, bow hunting, photography (amateur, nature, wildlife and outdoors), and working in the woods and fields. My favorite subjects for photography are raptors, especially the eagles along Lake Erie.
I have had falconry in the back of my mind for a long time, but didn’t know much about the process until recently. I’ve unofficially helped our local raptors hunt while mowing/raking/baling hay and brush hogging or plowing fallow fields pushing out mice, moles and rabbits. This summer a young RT crashed at a cottontail 3 times before nailing it only 30 yards from my tractor. Gave great chase and I was thrilled to have a front row seat. I watched him for the next hour as the hawk picked apart and downed the fresh meal.
Last year I struck up a conversation with a local falconer who was looking for permission to hunt. That conversation lasted a long time. It was great to get some first hand information about falconry and the process from trapping to hunting with a raptor. I have joined NAFA, OFA, and this forum. I’ll hopefully be joining the Pennsylvania Falconry and Hawk Trust also (I need to know a member for a reference) as I am fairly close to the OH/PA border. I am also looking for a sponsor. I have a been on a few hunts with a local Falconer (who unfortunately just moved away). I am also reading recommended books on Falconry while I wait to find a sponsor. I’ll appreciate any help and guidance to help me become an apprentice.

Breeze
11-08-2014, 12:34 PM
(welc) to NAFEX! Enjoy your journey into falconry!

Buckeye Falconer
11-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi steve. My name is Joe. I'm the apprentice director for OFA. I'd be more than happy to help you find some other falconers in your area. Just shoot me a PM and I'll get back with you.

SteveH
11-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks Deb & Joe. Joe, I'll send you a PM, that'd be great!

Falconer_hopeful
11-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Good luck Steve hope you get a sponsor soon.