PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada

RaptorRoy
11-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum, so thought I would say hi and introduce myself. I am not a falconer yet. I am just learning as much as I can through reading and forums such as this one to prepare myself as much as possible for the time when I am able to properly take care of a raptor. I am fascinated by Red Tails and dream of the day when I can hunt with one. I just moved to the Ottawa/Gatineau area, but so far haven't been able to meet anyone else interested in/practicing falconry in the area. I look forward to learning from all you experienced falconers :)

Regards,

Brandon

red_tailed
11-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Check the Ontario hawking club. They have a meet coming up in London. Great group of hawkers

Bob
BC Canada

RaptorRoy
11-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks Bob. I was a previous member of the OHC when I lived in Mississauga, but have let my membership expire because I moved to Gatineau, QC (just across the river from Ottawa). Since I now reside in the province of QC, I wasn't sure if I should continue my membership with the OHC or try to apply for membership AQFA(one downside is that my French ability is not great yet). I noticed the field meet with the OHC started yesterday and runs to the 16th. Unfortunately, it is too late to register and those dates wouldn't work for me anyways. :( I really appreciate your help though.

Regards,

Brandon

kitana
11-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Hi Brandon,

Welcome on NAFEX!

Even if you French isn't perfect, you can adhere to AQFA. Maybe half of our members are of anglophone descent, and we have a few who do not speak French at all. Unfortunately we had our annual meet last weekend, next opportunity to meet each other would be the annual general assembly somewhere in June/July.

It's sad though, from a falconry point of view, that you are not in Ontario anymore. Their laws are so much more falconry friendly than here in Québec! But either way, you will be able to practice falconry if you wish to put the effort into it.

:)

RaptorRoy
11-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Hi Kitana,

Thanks for the information and the warm welcome. It is very reassuring to hear that my poor French will be ok. :) I am disappointed to hear that I missed the annual meet, but I look forward to meeting some more people interested in and practicing falconry.