PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the UP eh

Sloath
11-23-2014, 04:38 PM
I gather from my reading I'm technically classified as a pre-apprentice, yes, thats right I'm just getting started on my journey to becoming a falconer.

As with most of the introductions I've read so far, I'm doing all the typical things an aspiring falconer does; reading, studying.. more reading, videos and reading some more. A big thank you to NAFEX and it's members, you've really given me some great material to sift through, this place is great!

At this point I feel like I've picked the worst time of year to discover my calling, just before the first foot of snowfall, at least it feels that way, there's so much I'd like to do. In good time I guess. I'll just have to settle on getting the testing out of the way and be patient.

The biggest obstacle I see in my future though is my location, I'm near the MI/WI border. I've been in contact with the few falconers up here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but we're pretty widely dispersed. That being the case I've been trying to locate others, maybe in the Northern Wisconsin area as well.. If you're near by give me a shout, I'd appreciate a good conversation and possible exposure to the sport.

Well, thats about it.. if you made it to this point in my ramblings, thanks for reading. I look forward to this process like no other :)

Regards,

DirtHawker
11-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Welcome to an obsession from a Troll (for those not from MI that is one that lives in the lower peninsula, or below the bridge)
Sue

Sloath
11-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Haha.. Thanks Sue. (good thing you clarified that here on the boards for non michiganders.. ;)) . Feels like it's going to be a longer than usual winter with the added anticipation of spring.

Falconer_hopeful
11-24-2014, 10:12 AM
(welc)to nafex.
Hope you pass the test when it comes. As for being patient have fun with that ;).
I live in GA so I do not know, but does Michigan have a state club? if so that would be a good place to meet some falconers.

Sloath
11-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks Luke. One of the first things I did was join our state club, Michigan Hawking Club (MHC) as well as the Great Lakes Falconers Association (GLFA) where I'm still pending membership. It was a great place to at least see how many people were in the sport and how they were distributed around our state. Since our state is basically divided into two parts it wasn't a surprise the bulk of the membership lived in the Lower Peninsula (LP), while I think there are 3 up here in the Upper Peninsula (UP). Since I'm close to Wisconsin, I thought maybe there was a chance to find others closer but over the state line.. though I'm not certain how that works entirely.

drmchsrmle
11-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Welcome Scott! I am in Wisconsin, just north of Milwaukee. I also spend some time at my families cabin in the Crivitz area. Here in Wisconsin we have a great group of falconers in the Wisconsin Falconers Association. Our winter meet this year will be held in the Black River Falls area. Come check us out if you would like.

Sloath
11-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome Emily, I may just have to take a look-see ��.

Sloath
12-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Ok, a quick update: I hate this sport!

I haven't been able to sleep for weeks... I wake up in the middle of the night panicked about Jess's or Hood's or Mews or Birds or Rabbits or Traps or Perches or... THE TEST! dohh

Honestly, my only regret is not knowing about it sooner in life, or at least earlier in the year when I could be more active in getting the ball rolling :)

Still searching for falconer's in the Northern Region's of Wi too.. If you're out there give me a shout. Thanks for all the great reading here on NAFEX folks.. it's helped (I think) ;)

borderhawk
12-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Ok, a quick update: I hate this sport!

Honestly, my only regret is not knowing about it sooner in life, or at least earlier in the year when I could be more active in getting the ball rolling :)

I'm with you on that one!! Sure wish I had found it years earlier, too!

Actually this is probably the perfect time to get interested. It works out really well if you can get out in the field with other falconers for a season first, then deal with the sponsor, equipment, test, and facilities the following Spring/Summer, and be ready just in time to trap a bird the following Fall. This is the season to get some face to face time with local falconers, and just look at what everybody else does equipment/training/hunting wise, and study for the test. You're more like to find the right sponsor for you this way as well.

Sloath
02-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Well.. I'm on my way. Exam taken and passed. Thanks everyone for the encouragement so far.. really appreciate it :)

Red-tail
02-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Congrats!! And good luck as you continue your journey to becoming a falconer peacee