PDA

View Full Version : Hey hey hey from SW Florida

Primitive Hunter
11-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Hey everyone,
My name is Kevin and I just wanted to swing in and say hello. I live in southwest Florida. Englewood to be more exact. I'm originally from Texas but moved here about 10 years ago. My grandfather and his friends were into falconry and as a kid I grew up beating bushes to chase out game (dog) and caring for his birds. He passed away over 15 years ago and I miss the sport. I never took the exam or furthered myself into falconry but I wish I had frus) silly college got in the way haha. I have always been an avid bow hunter and bird watcher but nothing compares to the excitement and the sense of acheivement when hunting with a predator of the sky. I have reached a point in my life where I feel it is time to further myself into falconry and get my license. I look forward to working with the birds again and being back in the woods watching the birds work on their natural predatory instincts. I would appreciate any and all advice to help me get going as I'm not sure exactly what I need to do and in what order to do them. If anyone is in my area I would love to assest on hunts and help in anyway possible. Thank you in advance for any advice or tips and I look forward to seeing yall around in the forums :D. Best regards, Kevin Pruett PH

tampamatt
11-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Hey Kevin, welcome! I don't know anyone down your way personally, but if you get in touch with FHF they can probably point you in the right direction. If you're ever around Orlando let me know. Also, winter meet coming up in January.

http://f-h-f.org/Club%20news.htm

Primitive Hunter
11-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks tampamatt, I contacted the southern rep in FHF so hopefully they might know someone down my way. Fingers crossed haha. I checked out your link and I will try to make it to the event in Orlando. I don't travel that way very often but I think that event will be well worth the drive. What do you guys normally do at these events? Never been to one personally. Thanks again! Best regards, PH

tampamatt
11-29-2014, 01:59 PM
What do you guys normally do at these events? Never been to one personally. Thanks again! Best regards, PH

Hunt, eat, drink, and tell lies. It's a pretty good time.

Tyme2fly
11-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Welcome to the chaos we are up in Wesley Chapel. We are goin to the meet as well. You should come up its a blast.

Primitive Hunter
11-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a good time and I plan on making it :D. For you folks that have your falconry license, what are some good books and study guides for taking the exam? I see the California hawking club study guide gets a lot of recognition as being the go to guide. Is Florida any different? Just trying get some direction. Thanks guys! PH

forensics
12-10-2014, 12:59 AM
We have a nice group of Florida Falconers on facebook as well. Search out ansd join the Florida Falconers Group if you wish.

rri32701
12-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a good time and I plan on making it :D. For you folks that have your falconry license, what are some good books and study guides for taking the exam? I see the California hawking club study guide gets a lot of recognition as being the go to guide. Is Florida any different? Just trying get some direction. Thanks guys! PH
When I took the test I'd say at least 90% of the questions were directly out of the study guide word for word.After that I would focus on books dealing with your intended first hawk/falcon.The falconers apprentice is a good one if your first bird is to be a RT.North American falconry and Hunting Hawks is another good choice.

Primitive Hunter
12-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Thanks Robert.. I ordered the CHC study, falconer's apprentice and North American falconry and hunting hawks 9th edition. I had several people say those were the best books to get so your advice is spot on with the rest. I appreciate the tip for taking the exam. Once I pass I hope I can find a sponsor. They seem to scarce in my neck of the woods. Haha

rri32701
12-11-2014, 11:53 AM
They're not that scarce.Just pass your test and make it to the meet in Mt.Dora.