PDA

View Full Version : Passage Red Shoulder wanted

Grr5000
12-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Hello All,

I am actually looking to trap a passage red shoulder, but currently are not allowed to be trapped in my state due to being threatened. I am currently in NJ. I checked New York's regulations and they have the same situation up there. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

Ken S.
12-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Hello All,

I am actually looking to trap a passage red shoulder, but currently are not allowed to be trapped in my state due to being threatened. I am currently in NJ. I checked New York's regulations and they have the same situation up there. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

Looks like this is your first post so I wanted to chime in and welcome you to NAFEX. You might also want to throw in an introduction post with a little background on who you are and what you're asking. I don't understand what type of ideas you're looking for. For example, are you wondering what states would allow a non-resident to trap a red-shouldered hawk (near NJ)? Maybe check PA or MD because I think they do, but it's pretty late in the year. Just my opinion, but I'm also not sure how many other falconers are going to chime in to help you trap a bird that isn't common as a falconry bird and generally not viewed as such... so people are probably going to wonder why you want a RS instead of a RT, Cooper's hawk, etc. But... I'll say good luck and I hope you'll share your experiences here.

Thanks!

Grr5000
12-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Looks like this is your first post so I wanted to chime in and welcome you to NAFEX. You might also want to throw in an introduction post with a little background on who you are and what you're asking. I don't understand what type of ideas you're looking for. For example, are you wondering what states would allow a non-resident to trap a red-shouldered hawk (near NJ)? Maybe check PA or MD because I think they do, but it's pretty late in the year. Just my opinion, but I'm also not sure how many other falconers are going to chime in to help you trap a bird that isn't common as a falconry bird and generally not viewed as such... so people are probably going to wonder why you want a RS instead of a RT, Cooper's hawk, etc. But... I'll say good luck and I hope you'll share your experiences here.

Thanks!

Hello Ken!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm sorry about not introducing myself, as I have been following Nafex posts for awhile but decided to finally make a post! Thank for the excellent questions. My name is Greg and I am a falconer from NJ. I have recently become a General at the beginning of the season and was looking to try something different. I have experience with 3 red tails so far. I currently have a big female that I am working with and was interested in checking something new out.

As for red shoulders, I have had many people state that they are not falconry birds, but on the flip side of things I have also spoken to a few who have flown them with success, catching bunnies and birds. In the wild they do take a wide variety of prey and seem fairly agile so I was interested in giving them a go. I have not yet checked out PA regs and you are right as far as it being late in the season, but I had been contemplating working with one so wanted to see if possibly anyone had recommendations on where to trap and if PA might be a possibility. Are they available for take in Maryland?

Thanks again
Greg