PDA

View Full Version : Found red tail

skooky20
12-07-2014, 01:11 PM
My friend just called me, he managed to catch a red tail that he found with equipment on. it is in the auburn area of new york, adult bird he is guessing in its third year, we have not heard of anyone in ny loosing a red tail so possibly from out of state. its eqipement will be identifiable to the owner, so if anyone knows of anyone loosing a red tail let me know

skooky20
12-08-2014, 10:05 AM
we are guessing the bird has been out less than a month, the jesses look new, one bell looks a little worn the other looks new. it did have hunting jesses on.

dirthawker12
12-13-2014, 04:24 PM
post a picture..it helps

Flintknapper
12-14-2014, 07:59 AM
How can you tell its been out less than a month? Does it have a federal band on the right leg? That should locate the owner with a phone call to the USFW . They have all bands registered and paper work. If it has one bell on it more than likely has been out a lot long than that. Most kangaroo leather will hold up for two years plus. The anklets may last longer than that.

mcogar88
12-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Austin it has two bells. One looks new the other looks a little worn.

MarkT
12-14-2014, 10:59 AM
I know a lot of people like that their state does not require bands on most types of wild caught birds but this is the reason that I like that Indiana kept the requirement in that all wild caught birds must be banded. At least I have one more way my bird can be identified if it flys off. It is also a very good idea to have a name tag you your bird. I would say that is more important than a band. At least with a name tag the general public would be able to track you down. I'm not sure they would know what to do with a bird that has a federal marker on it.

forensics
12-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Anyone listed it with FalconFinders. Not California specific. May help.

Hawkmom
12-14-2014, 08:08 PM
I sell raptor ID tags on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161429983239?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Flintknapper
12-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Austin it has two bells. One looks new the other looks a little worn.

In that case its more than like just recently escaped. Wonder why someone would not put forth a little more effort to find it. Maybe it wasn't that great of a bird and they don't care. I think I would still attempt to locate it or at least put a heads up on the internet forums.

JRedig
12-15-2014, 11:45 AM
How can you tell its been out less than a month? Does it have a federal band on the right leg? That should locate the owner with a phone call to the USFW . They have all bands registered and paper work. If it has one bell on it more than likely has been out a lot long than that. Most kangaroo leather will hold up for two years plus. The anklets may last longer than that.

I can't tell you how many times a banded bird can't be traced through its band...its a great theory that fails in execution regularly.

GONEHAWKN
12-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Exactly, Jeff.....some years ago I came i to possession of a captive bred hybrid falcon that had been found. The bird had a sealed band from the breeder. Ironically, this birds number was ONE digit off from a bird I flew some years ago. I called that breeder....it did not originate from him. USFW was of no help either. With all the BS one has to go through when breeding, selling and acquiring such birds, one would think this info would be readily available to the right people. It is not. So don't go putting your faith in a birds band, sealed or otherwise. Buy a reward tag from Kitty or put your contact info on its transmitters(or do both)

FredFogg
12-15-2014, 11:18 PM
I wonder if the Freedom of whatever act it is that is supposed to allow the public to view government records would allow someone to get the 3-186A records. It would be so simple to write a program that would keep track of all band numbers and the information related to them in a database. I would be willing to give it a go if I had access to the information!

DtRooster
12-16-2014, 12:28 AM
That would just make to much sense. We're not required to band but A system like that would be the tits. It would be telling in other ways other than just recovery also

Flintknapper
12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Wow guys I didn't know their records were not conclusive and in order. It's a good thing they didn't come to someone's mew and do checks without correct information and claim that a falconer didn't send his paper work in on a bird.
But it's like every th8ing else now days. You go to Mc Donald's and order a Big Mac and they give you a chees burger. It seem no one takes their responsibilities on their jobs serious.
Any way maybe this bird is doing well on its own.

460shooter
12-16-2014, 09:29 AM
This fact that this system of banding birds doesn't work very well shouldn't surprise anyone! Its a government program!! When was the last time you saw a government program that WORKED??!!

Just sayin....

cvandermerwe
12-16-2014, 09:34 AM
This fact that this system of banding birds doesn't work very well shouldn't surprise anyone! Its a government program!! When was the last time you saw a government program that WORKED??!!

Just sayin....

Now that's funny!!!

footbound
12-16-2014, 10:55 AM
IRS seems to work.

460shooter
12-16-2014, 10:57 AM
IRS seems to work.
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Touche'!!:D:D

jal4470
12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
The bands work perfectly as intended. They are not there to match a hawk to a person, but to match a person to a hawk. They are there so they can call up the office, ask to check your records and verify that nice hawk on your glove is in fact supposed to be there. The search only works one way.

Charko
12-16-2014, 11:53 AM
IRS seems to work.
The IRS is actually not a government run program. Although the government has a lot to do with it. It is a collection of public and private revenue collection groups hired by the US to collect outstanding debt.

460shooter
12-16-2014, 03:24 PM
They can match up numbers when its in THEIR favor, bit not ours??

So in other words, it is yet another example of the government NOT working for the people, but rather having a system to CONTROL the people. I see how this works......

DtRooster
12-16-2014, 03:44 PM
IRS seems to work.

The IRS is an unnecessary disaster that costs more tha it's worth. Just like everything else government sanctioned

Flintknapper
12-16-2014, 06:22 PM
IRS seems to work.

That's not funny at all. lol.

Flintknapper
12-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Lets have a picture of this RT.

skooky20
12-16-2014, 08:50 PM
state says we have to release it if we cant find the owner within the next week.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv7/skooky20/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7e6ad0ff.jpg (http://s664.photobucket.com/user/skooky20/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7e6ad0ff.jpg.html)

Flintknapper
12-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Well its got some age on it. The feet look like its been hunting a while in the fields. Well I guess freeing it is a just reward for possibly what it has gone through.