PDA

View Full Version : Video of Gyrs and Wolves!

FredFogg
04-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I saw this video posted on another forum and watched it and I really enjoyed it and thought you all might enjoy it too. It is 47 minutes long, so wait until you have the time to sit down and watch it.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4908418291000360936&hl=en-CA

goshawks00
04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Great post Fred.
Barry

jfneumann57
04-02-2008, 11:51 AM
It's a nice video

kimmerar
04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I liked it too. I didn't listen to Fred and started it at 12 am last night. Of course I was going to pause it and finish it later - WRONG.

I never seem to find stuff like that browsing the internet. Guess I'm browsing wrong!!

Jimmy
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I never seem to find stuff like that browsing the internet.

Maybe if you stayed off those x-rated sites, you'd find more interesting stuff...................

toungeout:D

kimmerar
04-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Maybe if you stayed off those x-rated sites, you'd find more interesting stuff...................

toungeout:D

You're such a man!!!! You all think a like. frusfrus

sharptail
04-02-2008, 10:47 PM
This nesting territory is only marginal for gyrs, having mainly arctic hare as prey. The narration, stating that the Jerkin was lazy or a poor hunter is a load of crap. The fact that he is of advanced age, and living in that harsh environment is evidence to the contrary. Lifting and carrying hares is marginal even for a female.

A better nesting habitat would have more prey items available in his size range. This makes me think that the better sites are already occupied by other breeding pairs.

anasari
04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Excellentclappclappclapp

Griggs
04-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Cool video, I really liked it!

cnoel08
03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
thank you for posting!

hawkguy1
02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
awsome video!

michaelberan
02-04-2011, 10:07 AM
great one

NMHighPlains
02-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I have it on DVD and that's why my youngest son was so enthralled to actually see (and HOLD!!!) a white gyr at the NAFA meet. See avatar.

Lowachi
02-04-2011, 12:56 PM
nice Fred --thanks!

Heero
02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
This was so good.

Mike

Yeomanfalconer
02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
This nesting territory is only marginal for gyrs, having mainly arctic hare as prey. The narration, stating that the Jerkin was lazy or a poor hunter is a load of crap. The fact that he is of advanced age, and living in that harsh environment is evidence to the contrary. Lifting and carrying hares is marginal even for a female.

A better nesting habitat would have more prey items available in his size range. This makes me think that the better sites are already occupied by other breeding pairs.

Yeah, I thought that was bull too. If the tundra was crawling with Lemmings as evidenced by the huge Snowy Owl brood, I am sure the gyrs would/could have used them too. Those three eyasses did not seem to be hurting for food. Leave it to humans to try to think like a bird, to try to shape a story in human terms.

bobpayne
02-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I thought that was bull too. If the tundra was crawling with Lemmings as evidenced by the huge Snowy Owl brood, I am sure the gyrs would/could have used them too. Those three eyasses did not seem to be hurting for food. Leave it to humans to try to think like a bird, to try to shape a story in human terms.

Leave it to humans to think that everything else in the animal kingdom thinks like they do.

I dislike it with all of the great new HD camerawork out, that somebody has to make a storybook story line to go with the footage that they have the pleasure to edit, and giving the animals human like characteristics. Seems that everyone of these shows were met for the girl and boy scouts. Sorry I don't mean to pick on you if you liked the flic or were in the scouts.....I was in the scouts for a short time myself.

Zarafia
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that this the "Nature" documentary that they showed a week or two ago on PBS. From Jeff's comments about the "lazy" male, I'm actually quite sure that it's the same video (with the straying female wolf?).
I loved the footage, but was also annoyed by the nararration. They spoke of the nest failing the previous year and I'd love to know if the "observation" of the pair that year was overzealous and perhaps contributed to the failure. But who knows.
Still really cool footage of the gyrs taking the hares.
Thanks for posting it here Fred.

everetkhorton
02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Nice Video. I liked it better when I turned down the volume and just watch the Gyrs & Wolves do there thing.

Yeomanfalconer
02-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Leave it to humans to think that everything else in the animal kingdom thinks like they do.

I dislike it with all of the great new HD camerawork out, that somebody has to make a storybook story line to go with the footage that they have the pleasure to edit, and giving the animals human like characteristics. Seems that everyone of these shows were met for the girl and boy scouts. Sorry I don't mean to pick on you if you liked the flic or were in the scouts.....I was in the scouts for a short time myself.

More like the Disney, Wild Kingdom legacy of nature shows.

bobpayne
02-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I stand corrected:D

Big Foot
02-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Hey fred,
could you please post the link.. I can't seem to watch it full screen.
thank you

EddieT
02-07-2011, 08:19 AM
This documentary was filmed by Fergus Beeley who is a member of, and the press officer for, the British Falconers Club.

awahl
02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Here is the link. It is a different narrator though.
http://video.pbs.org/video/1746037971/#

FredFogg
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey fred,
could you please post the link.. I can't seem to watch it full screen.
thank you

Man, I posted that in 2008, I have no idea where the link is now. LOL