PDA

View Full Version : Completely Newbie SOFLO

MikeGolden
12-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Hi my name is Michael Martin and I have been fascinated with the falconry sport and the sense of being able to form a respectful relationship with these awesome animals. I have been looking at information and different videos on the sport for a little while now.

Im brand new to the forum and wasn't sure if there was a place to learn more about the sport or if there was a location or club near me i could get involved at in pursuit of gathering more info as well as getting some exposure.

If anyone has any ideas or any direction for me that be awesome!

GHuntsman
12-20-2014, 12:53 AM
I would recommend the website http://www.themodernapprentice.com/ as a starting point. It will give you all the info you need to get started. I would also recommend the CHC Apprentice Study Guide. I am sure your state has a club and they will be able to help get you in touch with some good people.

Just remember, It is more of a lifestyle than a sport, in the fact that it requires a lot of time and dedication. Perseverance is key. Get out with falconers and watch hunts and help flush game. (Don't be afraid to hoot and holler and flap your arms like a fool.) When you have shown that you are serious and are dedicated you might be lucky enough to get a sponsor. I never asked for a sponsor I just worked as hard as I could as much as I could and when it came down to it the local falconers didn't have a problem sponsoring me.

I am sure you will be just fine and will be addicted after a very very short time and then you will never look back.

MikeGolden
12-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. Ill deff look around but being in south florida there isn't a whole lot of open areas for this so it may be difficult to find clubs or groups still participating.

Tennbird
12-20-2014, 01:17 AM
From what I understand, Florida is very active in falconry.

And if you want open area, go west. Belle Glade, Clewiston, Moore Haven are all farming areas. Lots of openness within an hour of you.

Tom Scheib
12-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Florida Club link, dates for upcoming winter meet, forms, state info, etc:
http://www.f-h-f.org/

forensics
12-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Mike feel free to join the Face Book Group "Florida Falconers". They have a large collection of files filled with regulations, test, and info for beginning falconry in Florida. Active group with a lot of good info and members.

Charko
12-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi my name is Michael Martin and I have been fascinated with the falconry sport and the sense of being able to form a respectful relationship with these awesome animals. I have been looking at information and different videos on the sport for a little while now.

Im brand new to the forum and wasn't sure if there was a place to learn more about the sport or if there was a location or club near me i could get involved at in pursuit of gathering more info as well as getting some exposure.

If anyone has any ideas or any direction for me that be awesome!
Don't forget to go in user cp and set ur signature. If u don't u can get banned from the forum. On another note welcome to the crazy awesomeness of falconry!

toneill100
12-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Saturday January 10 is the main hunting day for the FHF meet. So if you can only make to Mount Dora one day, that would be it. There are hunting parties that go out in the morning as well as the afternoon. You have about a three hour drive via the turnpike to get there.