PDA

View Full Version : Newbe

02-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Hi all new to the site. gonig on my seventh year oct master . Flying female Harris at 800 Gr. out of Broken Arrow ,Ok. This is my first Harris she is a first year bird. got her secound hand. When I got her she was and still is a screamer. None stop in the mew . In the field jsut sometimes when I get her out of the giant hood. Any help to stop the screaming would be helpful . then maybe I could change her name from Siren to Silence Dew Good.
Kelly

`Chris L.
02-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Kelly,
Welcome to the forum. I see that you got one. I am not one for advise on screamers. Maybe some others on here could help you out. [smilie=dontknow.gif] .. it sucks to get a second hand bird and all the problems the first owner gave them

How does she do hunting???

I look forward to your posts. Have a great weekend

everetkhorton
02-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Kelly:
Welcome to the site. Harris Hawks are outstanding birds. Lot of fun to fly. Are your mew in plan view of everything. Can she see everything going on? Do you know at what age the harris was remove from the
parants? Please keep us posted.

02-11-2007, 12:52 AM
yes my mews is open . she can see me in my kitchen and starts immediately when she sees me in the house. when in the field she never makes a sound. Not sure of when she was brought home. She hunts great but she still makes a lot of mistakes . I wish some time she would be a little more patient and other times I wish she was a little faster. she has only caught two rabbits a squirrel and five misalanious(rats) tried for a white tailed deer and hit a great horned owl in a tree.
Kelly

02-11-2007, 12:55 AM
By the way can you see a picture in my profile loaded one but I cant see it ?
kelly

`Chris L.
02-11-2007, 01:22 AM
yes my mews is open . she can see me in my kitchen and starts immediately when she sees me in the house.
Kelly

Sounds like they pulled that bird young.. thats going to be a tough one to get over.

Keep us posted.

About you avatar, I look in your profile there was nothing there. It has to be 10175 and 7mb big.. cant be any bigger than that. If it is it wont upload. If you are having problems send me the picture and I will upload it for you

SGC
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Kelly

How old is your Harris? If she is a young bird and you have the patience, I think she'll grow out of it. The first thing I would do is set up your mews so that she can't see you in your kitchen. Then when the molt rolls around, keep her hog fat through the molt. I've had a few Harris' that screamed alot and quit after about two or three years. I have a male now, he screamed almost non-stop his first year while in the mews wheather he could see me or not, but was completely silent in the field. He was considerably quieter his second year and by his third year he hardly made a peep.

02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
thanx sgc > From the ground up 5ft. my mews is sheet metal then 3ft is 2 in. coated wire. So should I close it up all the way around?

Jimmy
02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
You might try hanging a white sheet over the side facing the house. It'll block her view, but still let light through.

SGC
02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Kelly,

Something else you might try: when you put your bird up for the molt, set up your mews (one wall) so you can feed her without her seeing where the food is coming from. This is if you free-loft. I've never tried this with an adult bird or one that is already screaming, but it is sure a big help with a young captive bred or eyas. One that is old enough to feed it self.

SkyPredator
10-15-2013, 11:04 PM
new to the form too. cant figure out how to start a new forum though, driving me insane frus)

FredFogg
10-15-2013, 11:16 PM
new to the form too. cant figure out how to start a new forum though, driving me insane frus)

Welcome to NAFEX!

First, click on User CP in the menu bar above and then click on Edit Signature. Put in there your name and what ever else you want and it will put it at the end of each of your post. If you click on Forum Rules, you will see that is one of the rules.

To start a thread, click on the big picture at the top that says NAFEX.net and it will bring up a list of topics, click on Introductions and then New Thread, enter a subject and then tell us a bit about yourself.

Again, Welcome to NAFEX!