PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Arizona

AzTallGuy
12-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Hi folks.

Falconry is something I've wanted to pursue since my teens, and I am now 60 years old. I finally believe I have the time and means to do a bird justice, and so I'm embarking on the adventure. I'm refreshing (and expanding) my knowledge in order to take the Arizona exam, and have gotten in contact with our local club's sponsor liaison. I'm also planning my mews and weathering yard, and continuing to assess how falconry will fit into my life: again, to ensure I can fulfill me end of things.

I look forward to learning from everyone here!

MrBill
12-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Hey Jim,

You are in a wonderful place to learn about falconry, and raptors in general. Good luck on your adventure; it's never too late.

Bill Boni

Falconer_hopeful
12-31-2014, 05:34 PM
(welc)to nafex hope you pass the test.

MrBill
12-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Hey Jim,

You are in a wonderful place to learn about falconry, and raptors in general. Good luck on your adventure; it's never too late.

Bill Boni

I was talking about Arizona, but this list isn't a bad place to begin either :-)

Bill Boni

AzTallGuy
12-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Thanks, guys.

Trying to decide what sort of mews/weathering combo is best for our climate. Does get cold in winter, but mostly you are worried about keeping animals cool enough. I may go with a very 'breezy' mews, with panels or canvas to close it off in winter. Either that, or a more closed in mews, with a greater reliance on the weathering area.

Breeze
12-31-2014, 11:59 PM
Welcome to Nafex, Jim! I live in East Texas where heat is primary, but winters can get chilly as well. My mews has three large windows; during the summer it helps let the air flow through. Have mounted roll-up shutters above the windows. Lower and lock them down in winter, when it gets cold enough to worry about it, and any time in the year when bad storms are expected. Seems to work fine - going into the third year with no problems. Lived in Tucson back in the 70's - loved it!

MrBill
01-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Jim,

Here's a thread that you might want to go through: http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=15038&highlight=mews

Bill Boni

HawkinCrazy
01-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Hey Jim, Matt's a good guy. Lots of good information there. If he recommends or invites you out to go to the field I would definitely take advantage of it!. Good luck in the journey!

AzTallGuy
01-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the weather-related tips, Deb. Much appreciated.

Bill - I've gone through that thread twice already, and found some others as well. Fortunately, I have a fair amount of yard space to work with. Thanks!

Dan - Yes, Matt got back to me right away, and said he'd help find a sponsor once I pass the exam. I'll be contacting Game and Fish Monday to get that scheduled.