PDA

View Full Version : Broken antenna stud not under warranty?

gemiller
02-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Anyone else dealt with a broken antenna stud? I bought my UHF with a leg mount scout UHF set back in October and on Friday she crashed a squirrel and when back at the truck and I went to turn off the transmitter I noticed I had no signal.

I then took to the transmitter to find the antenna was gone. At first I thought the antenna just broke as had happened at few times this season (replaced it a few times from bending/creasing etc). It turns out the stud broke off flush with the transmitter.

I called in to Marshall today and they said that's most likely non-repairable and that the stud is normally not under warranty. I'm a little upset that a broken stud isn't considered a "warranted failure" as it was used as intended as a leg mount transmitter, and at bare minimum it's a bad design if the stud is truly non-replaceable.

Anyone else have experiences with broken studs?

I did go ahead and order a micro tailmount and backpack to use, but I'm still a little disappointed with that response.

gemiller
02-09-2015, 07:17 PM
I did want to add that their offer for a non-repairable transmitter is 20% off a new one for anyone curious.

gemiller
03-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Update: The transmitter was sent back to Marshall. They did not warrant the item as I was told would happen on the phone. They did give me a better deal on the replacement transmitter though than originally offered. They gave me a $100 dollar credit towards a replacement. It was a nice gesture and better than i was expecting after the original phone call. I did use it on a tail mount scout (I had already ordered a tail mount micro for my gear set to use until I had resolved this issue. I had installed a backpack and used the Micro until the Scout came in.

I'm still a little dissapointed that a transmitter used as intended can break under warranty with a non-repairable part and it be considered not under warranty but I am happy with Marshall's communication and ability to realize that a transmitter should last longer than 4 months and offer at least a better alternative than the original offer.

rkumetz
03-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Update: The transmitter was sent back to Marshall. They did not warrant the item as I was told would happen on the phone. They did give me a better deal on the replacement transmitter though than originally offered. They gave me a $100 dollar credit towards a replacement. It was a nice gesture and better than i was expecting after the original phone call. I did use it on a tail mount scout (I had already ordered a tail mount micro for my gear set to use until I had resolved this issue. I had installed a backpack and used the Micro until the Scout came in.

I'm still a little dissapointed that a transmitter used as intended can break under warranty with a non-repairable part and it be considered not under warranty but I am happy with Marshall's communication and ability to realize that a transmitter should last longer than 4 months and offer at least a better alternative than the original offer.

I understand your frustration. It sucks to have stuff break particularly when it is not inexpensive to replace.

The type of damage that your Scout suffered is a real problem for any manufacturer - physical damage. Exactly where do you draw the line between warranty failure (more or less defined as a failure caused by a defect in workmanship or materials) and abuse. In this context abuse doesn't constitute wonton disregard for proper use and handling but simply subjecting the item to excessive physical force. The line is not as clear cut as if (for example) you tried to go 4-wheeling with a compact cart and
then try to claim that the suspension should have been able to endure it.

The issue is further complicated by a type of product that is potted (sealed) like a telemetry transmitter. There are simply parts that can't be replaced and there is no getting around it. Given that it has to be tiny and lightweight you can have it waterproof or you can have it repairable but you can't have all 3.

gemiller
03-02-2015, 12:02 PM
I understand your frustration. It sucks to have stuff break particularly when it is not inexpensive to replace.

The type of damage that your Scout suffered is a real problem for any manufacturer - physical damage. Exactly where do you draw the line between warranty failure (more or less defined as a failure caused by a defect in workmanship or materials) and abuse. In this context abuse doesn't constitute wonton disregard for proper use and handling but simply subjecting the item to excessive physical force. The line is not as clear cut as if (for example) you tried to go 4-wheeling with a compact cart and
then try to claim that the suspension should have been able to endure it.

The issue is further complicated by a type of product that is potted (sealed) like a telemetry transmitter. There are simply parts that can't be replaced and there is no getting around it. Given that it has to be tiny and lightweight you can have it waterproof or you can have it repairable but you can't have all 3.

Oh, I completely understand it's a fine line for them to work through. It seems to me though, that the antenna should be the male fitting if they can't physically make the stud replaceable (and I'd believe there has to be a way to make that possible, but maybe there isn't) so that it could be removed via a small left hand screw remover if it did sheer in this manner. Or even recessed so that if the antenna did break it would not be a physical fastener failure.

Don't get me wrong, I know my bird probably got that transmitter into a branch more than once, but it is a device designed to be mounted the way it was, and it was only on when hunting. Perhaps, also, they should disclose this more fully as well because I normally don't attribute field failure as non-warrantable even outside of falconry.

In your example, however, i'd like to say a ATV (had an atv axle replaced myself when it broke on a hunting trip) is covered for most field failures and it's known to have been used on the offroad trails, that's more similar to this situation to me. I'd attribute your example more to me using the transmitter for something it is not designed to do, or mounted in a manner it was not designed to be mounted to, or mounted to a non-bird item.

Also, as I said, I am happy in general with the outcome and the way marshall's customer service handled it; I don't want anyone to think they didn't at least handle it well.

The long and short lesson learned for me, is no future bird will ever see a leg mount transmitter. Went to backpack and not looking back.

hcmcelroy
03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Gregory,

Agree the BP is a simple answer.

Also feel that Marshall's service is impressive.

Harry.

dbleyepatches
03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
I too had an interesting issue with a scout this year. I bought a new scout and put it on a back pack. When I went to change the battery for the first time I had a very difficult time getting the cap to unscrew. Once I got it off it was very difficult to get the battery out and then hard to get the new battery in and to get it to make a good connection. The cap was again very difficult to thread on. I am guessing that the case is bent (this is the only thing that really makes any sense) but there is no sign of external damage at all. Marshall was great to deal with and they said in should be covered and asked that I return it so they can take a look at it.

I guess strange things can happen when you strap electronics on to hard hitting raptors.....

AxelFortWorth
03-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Ok, recently I had to use one of my three scout transmitters. For about two years now I have used the remote control to turn it off and on. Since it is on my HH, I really did not have to use the receiver.

Well, about two weeks ago I did. The receiver did not see the transmitter. I had it about 5 years. No telling when it actually went out. My other two transmitters worked just fine.

I contacted Marshall. They are great to talk to. Of course my warranty is way out. I sent in my transmitter and they could not figure out what was wrong. They did give me the 20% off on the new one I ordered and received within 3 days. In order to get the 20% I had to let them keep my busted transmitter. confusedd

Guess one of the things I learned out of this, check your transmitters every so often with your receiver rather than relying on that $40 remote switch.

Still, Marshall is a great company.

:D

rkumetz
03-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Ok, recently I had to use one of my three scout transmitters. For about two years now I have used the remote control to turn it off and on. Since it is on my HH, I really did not have to use the receiver.

Well, about two weeks ago I did. The receiver did not see the transmitter. I had it about 5 years. No telling when it actually went out. My other two transmitters worked just fine.

I contacted Marshall. They are great to talk to. Of course my warranty is way out. I sent in my transmitter and they could not figure out what was wrong. They did give me the 20% off on the new one I ordered and received within 3 days. In order to get the 20% I had to let them keep my busted transmitter. confusedd

Guess one of the things I learned out of this, check your transmitters every so often with your receiver rather than relying on that $40 remote switch.

Still, Marshall is a great company.

:D

The Signal Finder doesn't care what frequency your transmitter is on. It just knows that there is a Signal which is what it was intended for. The transmitter in question was off frequency for some reason. It probably lost its memory and bounced to some unknown channel or something happened to the frequency synthesis circuitry.

I use my Signal Finder a lot for turning my transmitter on and off because it is easier particularly when you have a bird on the glove.

Every day I check the receiver to make sure that it hears the transmitter before I leave home. Remember that just because the transmitter is working doesn't mean that the receiver is. MRT receivers are so quiet when there is no signal that it is pretty easy to leave it turned on and have the battery go dead. THAT is not a good thing to discover when you pull out your receiver.

dbleyepatches
03-02-2015, 10:18 PM
The Signal Finder doesn't care what frequency your transmitter is on. It just knows that there is a Signal which is what it was intended for. The transmitter in question was off frequency for some reason. It probably lost its memory and bounced to some unknown channel or something happened to the frequency synthesis circuitry.

I use my Signal Finder a lot for turning my transmitter on and off because it is easier particularly when you have a bird on the glove.

Every day I check the receiver to make sure that it hears the transmitter before I leave home. Remember that just because the transmitter is working doesn't mean that the receiver is. MRT receivers are so quiet when there is no signal that it is pretty easy to leave it turned on and have the battery go dead. THAT is not a good thing to discover when you pull out your receiver.

A good friend recommended that I keep a fresh set of batteries in the side pocket for the receiver for this very situation. I haven't need it yet but I am sure it is just a matter of time.

rkumetz
03-03-2015, 05:44 PM
A good friend recommended that I keep a fresh set of batteries in the side pocket for the receiver for this very situation. I haven't need it yet but I am sure it is just a matter of time.

I have a cool little cord that Mike Garcia gave me which has plug that goes into the MRT receiver on one end and a 9v battery snap on the other. I can power it off either a 6 x AAA battery holder from the now defunct Radio Shack OR from a 9v battery. Either way I don't have to open the battery compartment and lose the screws in the snow. I must say that is the one part of the MRT design where I do the "V-8 salute" and say "what were they thinking?" The screws should have been captive.

gemiller
03-03-2015, 08:06 PM
I have a cool little cord that Mike Garcia gave me which has plug that goes into the MRT receiver on one end and a 9v battery snap on the other. I can power it off either a 6 x AAA battery holder from the now defunct Radio Shack OR from a 9v battery. Either way I don't have to open the battery compartment and lose the screws in the snow. I must say that is the one part of the MRT design where I do the "V-8 salute" and say "what were they thinking?" The screws should have been captive.

All I did (to avoid that very problem) was take the screws with to the hardware store and find a "shakeproof" (i think thats what they call them, http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31diHDKqLcL.jpg) washer that i could force over it on the inside of the battery cover so when I spin them loose (i have to go back and forth so it doesn't bend to far) they still can't pop out. It took a while to find one with a small enough OD to not be near to the battery terminals though.

rkumetz
03-04-2015, 10:06 AM
All I did (to avoid that very problem) was take the screws with to the hardware store and find a "shakeproof" (i think thats what they call them, http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31diHDKqLcL.jpg) washer that i could force over it on the inside of the battery cover so when I spin them loose (i have to go back and forth so it doesn't bend to far) they still can't pop out. It took a while to find one with a small enough OD to not be near to the battery terminals though.

That is just an internal tooth lockwasher as far as I can tell. The right size
might work for this application. Might need to use a metric one to keep it
from falling off.

I also tried "E" clips but they require a smaller diameter area to clip onto. That is probably the best way to do it but MRT would need to modify the
screws.