PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a book to review

Steve Jones
02-18-2015, 10:37 PM
I'm looking for a book for Mike and Joe to review for our next issue, anyone got any suggestions? We prefer to review books that are newly published, but that's not a requirement. It does have to be available however. For a list of books that have been reviewed in past issues go to: http://www.americanfalconry.com/TakingAPitch.html

rkumetz
02-18-2015, 11:04 PM
How about the revised Desert Hawking II?

poleyc
02-18-2015, 11:45 PM
H is for hawk

JRedig
02-19-2015, 09:03 AM
H is for hawk

+1

mainefalconer
02-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Another vote for "H is for Hawk"
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/27/costa-book-award-helen-macdonald-h-is-for-hawk-win?CMP=share_btn_tw

She has won several awards for the book and it has been reviewed a pile of times already, but if you folks end up reviewing it, I believe it will be the first review to be done by a member of the falconry community. In terms of newly available books, you can't beat it. "H is for Hawk" has been available in the UK for a while now, but just came out in the US about 10 days ago.

falcipiter
02-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Currently I am in Costa Rica getting away from the white stuff! ( you really don't want to know the weather here!)
Anyway, was just talking to a couple of fellow birders from the UK and both highly recommended "H" is for Hawk, knowing that I am a austringer.
I am going to be suggesting this book for my book club as well.
Pura Vida,

rkumetz
02-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Wow. The first car hit me and they just keep running me over.....:D

MrBill
02-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Currently I am in Costa Rica getting away from the white stuff! ( you really don't want to know the weather here!)
Anyway, was just talking to a couple of fellow birders from the UK and both highly recommended "H" is for Hawk, knowing that I am a austringer.
I am going to be suggesting this book for my book club as well.
Pura Vida,

I hope you are enjoying yourself. The wife and I went there not too long ago and they have some interesting raptors, but they do not allow any hunting :-(

Bill Boni

falcipiter
02-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Ron,
Not that Harry isn't worth reviewing, he is! But, there a lot of bibliophiles on here that enjoy a good read that is new.
Now don't feel bad. Wipe off the tire tracks and get hawking.
Cheers,

Tony James
02-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Another vote for "H is for Hawk"
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/27/costa-book-award-helen-macdonald-h-is-for-hawk-win?CMP=share_btn_tw

She has won several awards for the book and it has been reviewed a pile of times already, but if you folks end up reviewing it, I believe it will be the first review to be done by a member of the falconry community. In terms of newly available books, you can't beat it. "H is for Hawk" has been available in the UK for a while now, but just came out in the US about 10 days ago.

Hi Scott,

as you know, Helen's a dear friend of mine, so how could I not support that suggestion?

But let me suggest another, by another dear friend. How about John Loft's epic translation, 17th Century French Falconry: Harmont and St.Aulaire?

Best wishes,

Tony.

rkumetz
02-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Ron,
Not that Harry isn't worth reviewing, he is! But, there a lot of bibliophiles on here that enjoy a good read that is new.
Now don't feel bad. Wipe off the tire tracks and get hawking.
Cheers,

OK. I get it. I will go back to my books with pictures....:D

I agree. I suggested Harry's book because it a worthwhile read that new falconers have had trouble acquiring until the reprint. I suspect that Steve's agenda is well served since he now has multiple suggestions to task the boys with book reports!

Remember lads: 500 words double spaced!

Steve Jones
02-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Some good suggestions, thanks everyone. I'll get with the guys and see what they want to do, but it looks like we may be covered for at least two issues.

joekoz
02-20-2015, 03:53 PM
2/19/2015 - NYT H is for Hawk Book Review

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/books/review/helen-macdonalds-h-is-for-hawk.html?emc=edit_bk_20150220&nl=books&nlid=207231&_r=0

mainefalconer
02-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Just an FYI for you folks that suggested other titles;
You'll be pleased to know that there are two book reviews in the back of the new NAFA Journal. One is by Hans Peeters and is a review of John Loft's book, and the other is a review of McElroy's reprint that was written by the Coulsens. See that Tony James and Ron Kumetz? Ask and you shall receive!

Those of you that are NAFA members can read the Journal on the website at any time.

And if you're NOT a NAFA member, but would like to be, (and thereby have access to all publications in a digital format, on the website) you can join for a mere $29/year. (that's my shameless plug for our national association) :D

jeffreyj
02-21-2015, 10:30 AM
The Wall Street Journal review of H is for Hawk is in this morning's issue. A very positive review with a nice head pic of a goshawk.

americansharpy
04-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Steve how about a new angle on book reviews? Review books which came out before your publication launched (the 1980-1993 period). It affords the reviewers a chance to evaluate these books based on the many changes we have undergone in raptor understanding and the application of new training techniques developed over the last 30 years.... Specifically Webster's "Game Hawking"

I'm looking for a book for Mike and Joe to review for our next issue, anyone got any suggestions? We prefer to review books that are newly published, but that's not a requirement. It does have to be available however. For a list of books that have been reviewed in past issues go to: http://www.americanfalconry.com/TakingAPitch.html

Steve Jones
04-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Steve how about a new angle on book reviews? Review books which came out before your publication launched (the 1980-1993 period). It affords the reviewers a chance to evaluate these books based on the many changes we have undergone in raptor understanding and the application of new training techniques developed over the last 30 years.... Specifically Webster's "Game Hawking"

Thank for the suggestion, but I hate to say it we thought of that years ago. We have published reviews of lots of books from that period, including Game Hawking...At It's Very Best way back in Volume 7. We do, when possible, prefer to review books that are still available. Don't want to tease people with books that can't readily get.

Tony James
04-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Just an FYI for you folks that suggested other titles;
You'll be pleased to know that there are two book reviews in the back of the new NAFA Journal. One is by Hans Peeters and is a review of John Loft's book, and the other is a review of McElroy's reprint that was written by the Coulsens. See that Tony James and Ron Kumetz? Ask and you shall receive!

Those of you that are NAFA members can read the Journal on the website at any time.

And if you're NOT a NAFA member, but would like to be, (and thereby have access to all publications in a digital format, on the website) you can join for a mere $29/year. (that's my shameless plug for our national association) :D

Hi Scott,

sorry my friend, I missed your post until now, shameless plug and all ;-)

Best wishes,

Tony.

mainefalconer
04-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Hey Tony,

I'll take any chance I can get to toss out a shameless plug for folks to join NAFA.

"Hey, all y'all that aren't members! JOIN!!!" <----- see?

And also, a comment for Steve Jones; Go ahead and review all of the old books you want! Go on! Tease folks with rave reviews of old and hard to find books. It will only serve to increase the value of those titles and that's music to the ears of folks like me and Tony James. :D:D
(I should be ashamed for writing such a thing)