View Full Version : Greetings from Orlando

jmfp85
04-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Joel. I live in Winter Springs, FL which is just north of Orlando. I work in the county court system and when I'm not at work I enjoy spending time at the theme parks or hanging out with friends. Currently, I am working on getting back into falconry. About 7 years ago I had a sponsor for a year. After hunting for a season and carrying her through the moult I had some major life changes happen and had to get out of the sport. Luckily, I am now to a point in my life where I am settled enough to again devote my time to caring for, and properly flying a bird. I have accumulated most of the necessities for flying a RT (jesses, leashes, perches, scales, hoods, etc) and am in the process of ordering what I don't currently have. I am also starting on my mew within the next week, so that I can have it completed for inspection by the middle of May. Completing a retake of the state exam in the month of May is another priority. The plan is to have everything taken care by June so that hopefully I can locate a sponsor and start trying to trap a bird when the season opens. I am being as proactive as possible in order to facilitate this.

If anyone knows a potential sponsor that would be willing to talk with me to see if we mesh, please let me know.

Cheers everyone!

forensics
04-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the group. You can find much info on Florida regs and such here. Many are near or in your area and we have two good clubs in the State both can be found at the link.

http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/applications/falconry-biblio/

http://myfwc.com/media/2790927/Falconry-Information-Checklist.pdf

Riefler1969
04-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Joel,
Welcome! I'm North of you a little in Gainesville.
Rief

jmfp85
04-25-2015, 12:38 AM
Thanks Joe and Rief.

jmfp85
04-25-2015, 12:57 AM
Rief, are you currently licensed?

rri32701
04-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Did you use to work at the Pet Bazaar?

rri32701
04-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Joel ,the advise I gave 2 others looking for sponsors was to join the clubs and the facebook pages and go out hunting with falconers they met that way.Both found sponsors in short order.They actually had their pick.Finding a sponsor is easy once you get out and meet them personally.Hunting seasons over so you may need to be a little patient.You can also volunteer at the Avian reconditioning center in Apopka.

jmfp85
04-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks Robert. Glad to hear from you again.

I'm a member of the FFA and sent my app to the FHF. I'm a member of the Florida Falconers group on Facebook. I've also contacted the people that I know in the community. I've got a recommendation from my previous sponsor, so hopefully that helps, along with having my ducks in a row and everything ready for season.

Riefler1969
04-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Joel,
No sadly I'm not. Pre-apprentice. Getting all my requirements met. No luck thus far finding a sponsor up here. You have some good folks in your area. You'll do fine ;)

jmfp85
05-16-2015, 07:12 PM
So I have some good news. I got an email from the FHF and I will be attending their summer apprentice workshop in July. I'm very excited!

Nimure
05-20-2015, 07:55 AM
There is also a falconry picnic, set to be in June I believe (separate from the FHF apprentice workshop). Look for the Florida Gamehawkers group on FB. Terry or Trish should be able to give you more details.

Like Robert said, get out there and meet people. Might be slow for the summer, but there are a few events running.

jmfp85
05-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks Lindsay. I messaged Trish about it.