PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason why Marshall hasn't made the HSL yagi standard on all new receiver?

redbird1
06-11-2015, 11:18 AM
I think there would be an appreciation for this from those who have heavy investment in VHF tx's and want to upgrade - but have a hard time reconciling the additional yagi upgrade cost. Seems like it would make sense to make this the standard yagi on the FM 100 (like the FM 800). The FM 800 didn't get a price bump for this feature - why continue equipping the FM 100 with outdated technology? Am I missing something (no attitude, just asking)?

BestBeagler
06-11-2015, 11:39 AM
I think there would be an appreciation for this from those who have heavy investment in VHF tx's and want to upgrade - but have a hard time reconciling the additional yagi upgrade cost. Seems like it would make sense to make this the standard yagi on the FM 100 (like the FM 800). The FM 800 didn't get a price bump for this feature - why continue equipping the FM 100 with outdated technology? Am I missing something (no attitude, just asking)?

You get what you pay for.

DtRooster
06-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Standard marketing to put a little some thing special on the higher priced stuff for awhile before the lower end gets the upgrade. If the extra channels aren't worth an extra $200 maybe a more convenient yagi is. Chevy/GMC and Ford/Lincoln have been pulling it off for years :)

rkumetz
06-11-2015, 12:45 PM

The HSL is more costly to produce. The FM800 has a higher margin so that product could absorb it and it is an incentive to by a product on which they make more than an FM100 but obviously slightly less than they used to on an FM800.

Maybe they should offer an upgrade price for an FM100 equipped with the HSL. Call them and see what they say. As my grandfather used to say, "all they can do is say NO". (well they could also hang up on you or laugh but they are unlikely to do that)

rri32701
06-11-2015, 04:44 PM
I got the FM100 with the HSL and it cost me $100 extra.I always wondered if the HSL worked as well as the full size.It didn't make sense to pay for the 800 when all I fly is 2 birds.

rkumetz
06-11-2015, 04:46 PM
I got the FM100 with the HSL and it cost me $100 extra.I always wondered if the HSL worked as well as the full size.It didn't make sense to pay for the 800 when all I fly is 2 birds.

The difference is measurable (slightly in favor of full size) but such a small
difference that the convenience makes up for it.

redbird1
06-13-2015, 05:04 AM
I had wondered if there was a cost differential in production of the two yagis. And it does make sense that if the FM 800 has a wider profit margin, it would be better positioned to absorb the added production cost. That is what I was wondering about - thanks!

rkumetz
06-13-2015, 11:22 PM
I had wondered if there was a cost differential in production of the two yagis. And it does make sense that if the FM 800 has a wider profit margin, it would be better positioned to absorb the added production cost. That is what I was wondering about - thanks!
The HSL elements are not just physically shorter, they also have loading coils which make up for it electrically. That is where the extra cost is. As usual with MRT stuff it is masterfully machined.

Captain Gizmo
06-15-2015, 12:06 AM
The MRT loading coils are as mentioned a little marvel of the machinists art. They are made from a gold plated insulator with screw terminals at both ends and the gold machined to a spiral on a precision screw machine. It takes six of these little hybrids of the jewelers and watchmakers art to do an HSL antenna.