PDA

View Full Version : Hi folks I'm Sherry in East Texas helpp

SherryG
06-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm in the Piney Woods area of Texas and need some help. A week ago, I found an Am. Kestrel youngster male (still had some down) on the ground. There weren't any parent birds in sight or ear-shot. A big storm was about to hit, so I brought it in. We have a big raccoon/possum/bird eater population, so it wouldn't be safe.
It eats very well (chicken breast/heart/gizzards in real thin strips). I called a couple of Raptor Rescue operations to see what they had to say. They said it was probably already human imprinted, un-releasable and they'd have to euthanize him. I'm not willing to go that route with him. I'm not a Falconer/Hawker and I don't have time, and darned sure not the knowledge, to teach him Falcon things.
Most of his down is gone now, just a couple of white 'hairs'.
I'm looking for someone that would want him and train/fly/work/hunt him, so he can be happy & safe with someone that knows them.
If anyone can connect me with someone that would want him I'd really appreciate it if you'd contact me.
Thanks, Sherry

passagejack
06-18-2015, 12:16 PM
He will NOT be imprinted Sherry. I would do my best to get a hold of a falconer near by and go from there. Hopefully someone on here will chime in on what falconer may be close to you so they may help. Keep up on the feeding you are doing great and throw in some grasshoppers if you can. It should be fairly simple for a falconer to hack him out for release or perhaps a falconer may want to fly him a while before release. Putting him down is certainly not the best option.

SherryG
06-18-2015, 12:42 PM
OH Thank you, Jeremy! He's so adorable and isn't aggressive. He's given me 2 very light bites/pinches earlier on, but I moved the finger on my other hand and he straightened right out. : ) He'll get on my hand/finger and we go into the kitchen for meals. He gets prettier every day. I raise rare breed chickens (great, huh? lol) and I don't think I'd have time to train/raise him right. I'd kiss him, but if he took my lip off he might accidentally take his first flight! hahahahaa
By not aggressive.. When I first brought him in and would go to get him out, he'd flip on his back and threaten to bite.. but didn't. I'd turn him over and make him step on my finger and put my other hand on his back to make sure he didn't lose his balance. Now when I go to get him out, he opens his mouth and sounds off and slightly spreads his wings. When I put my hand in, he stops doing that and I get him and take him to dinner. : ) I'll go try to catch him some grasshoppers to chase in his 'house'. Are crickets just as yummy and good for him?
Thank you so much for getting in touch, Jeremy, and confirming that his diet is ok, with a few new entrees added now. I already feel better.
Sherry

Breeze
06-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Hi Sherry - responded to your PM. Please call and we can hopefully get this bird all squared away. I am VERY close to you and am willing to come pick it up.

DtRooster
06-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Hi Sherry - responded to your PM. Please call and we can hopefully get this bird all squared away. I am VERY close to you and am willing to come pick it up.

clapp

SherryG
06-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Hey Lew,

Baby Kestrel has found a great home.

YES!! Deb deserves a big applause and Heaven knows she get an ovation from me. I am so grateful for the support and advice I've received trying to find this beautiful baby a wonderful home. He'll be going to live with her tomorrow. Of course I have a little sadness with it, but knowing what a great life he's going to have outweighs it.... barely. :D lol
Sherry

DtRooster
06-18-2015, 03:21 PM
You deserve some yourself Sherry clappclapp

Breeze
06-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Sherry deserves BIG kudos for taking care of this bird during the tropical storm mess that we just had pass through us and doing the right thing for the Kestrel! clappclappclapp

Am excited about meeting her and receiving the bird from her tomorrow afternoon! peacee Getting all set up for it here at home now. ;)

SherryG
06-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Y'all are amazing people. This is a really, really nice forum of folks... no hint of sniping or poo-pooing people's birds. There is another bird species forum that could take some cues from y'all. I'm excited for him, for the life that's about to open up to him. I'm grateful & looking forward to meeting, also. See ya tomorrow afternoon, Deb!!! woooo hooooooooo
I'll be calling you 'fore long. Sherry
Thanks and clapp clapp clapp to each of you that helped and supported me & Baby. ; )

passagejack
06-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Way to go gals!

SherryG
06-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Thank you, Jeremy. Thank you to all the folks that rallied around to help this little Kestrel.
GOOD NEWS, FOLKS!!
I met Deb (Breeze) today, and she's delightful!! She also has great taste in birds!! LOL The hand-off went as smoothly as butter and I know that being with Deb is where he belongs... even if it stings just a little. : ) Deb told me that sometime we'll get together so I can watch her birds doing their thing, and see how Lil' Kestrel is coming along. I'm excited about that, and I appreciate her a lot. He's going to thrive under her care & training.
beeer (make mine a root beer, please lol) Here's each and every one of y'all Hugs for everybody!!!! woooooooooo hoooooooooooooo
Thank you all again & again!! Sherry

Breeze
06-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Hey Sherry! Enjoyed meeting with you yesterday and am thrilled to have received your little Kestrel male! So far all is going extremely well - he's quite the little man. ;) Bob and I are both enjoying him tremendously!

Provided lots of details via personal email with Sherry, but to let the group know the highlights:

This boy has a name - we are calling him Bobber! My husband is tickled that it's a play on his name and it sure fits as the boy bobs his head a lot!

Thus far Bobber has consumed two whole hopper mice (1/4 ounce each) - putting each one down in its entirely when it was offered. The mice were cut up into small pieces as he isn't tearing food yet. Has also eaten several smaller meals of quail meat with skin and feathers. Certainly no feeding problems. :D Have been adding tiny bits of Vitahawk to his meals.

Bobber weighed in at 92.5 grams, when we got home yesterday at 1600 hrs. Had been fed some chicken, by Sherry, a short while before he was delivered. First weight, right after getting up this morning at 0645, was 90.5 g. He was clueless on using scales, but is rapidly figuring it out. To set a routine he weighs before every meal, eats from the lure for every meal - and he's all ready getting much better at the whole "step up on the scale perch" thing (and back off!). Smart little bugger!

Last night he started trying his wings - laddering about in the living room. Thus far today, he has continued this trend. Learning to use his wings and most importantly, how to land once he gets airborne!

Bobber is very good about being on the fist. Now that he is laddering, when I sit in the recliner, he flies up to my head for awhile (feels like he is nesting up a storm there) then hops off to the back of the overstuffed chair and hangs out. Thus far, his favorite perch in the house! Relaxed earlier today and stretched out on his belly on the chair - resting. Lots of rousing, warbling and stretching - on the fist and off, so obviously not too stressed over anything!

No screaming, but he has let loose with some excited singing, when he flies and successfully gains a new perch! He verbally announces his location changes. He's a character - that much is for sure. peacee

Have created kangaroo hide anklets that should fit just fine. Tested them, without actually locking them on and looks great. TINY. OMG! Getting them ON will be interesting, for sure; using removable style! Not time yet anyway, but we are getting close! Also plan to braid Dacron jesses and a leash this afternoon.

Bobber spends his sleeping time at night in Breeze's GH. Will make a Kestrel sized GH, but haven't had a chance yet! For now, he sleeps in there; not crowded for space at least. :D

No jesses = no safe way to get him outside, but this morning he did sit on my fist and enjoy the early morning sun for an hour and a half or so. I was busy doing some business on the computer. Wouldn't have taken quite as long, had I not been typing one handed. ;) But he was TRYING to help. :D

Great little bird, Sherry! I'll keep you posted on how he's doing!

Falconer_hopeful
06-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Congrats Mrs. Deb. Are you planting on hunting him?
how is breeze doing in the molt?

Breeze
06-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Hi Luke!

Sure do plan on hunting Bobber! We have a lot of sparrows and starlings in the area - and I know a couple places to go after field mice. Should be right up his alley! Ought to be a whole lot of fun flying the mighty mite!

Breeze is doing great, thanks! Just dropped another primary from the left wing today, which evens his wings back up. He has over half of his primaries down on both sides now and exactly half of his retrices have dropped; decks are 100% back in with the next pair showing well. Many body feathers, contours, coverts, etc., molt is moving along well. As for behavior, he's acting like he's actually enjoying the vacation this time around! Very nice!

Whatever you get to do for fun this summer, ENJOY!