PDA

View Full Version : Greetings All

GregP
02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Just wanted to make my introductions- My name is Greg Pearson and I'm located near Manor TX (small town just east of Austin.) I'm returning to falconry after a LONG hiatus (like, 20 years!) Apprenticed under Tom Buchanan in Abilene back in the 70's, flew Red Tails, Harris' and Cooper's. Worked at the Abilene zoo for about 5 years doing raptor rehab and captive breeding with goldens and peregrines. Now learning all the old stuff over plus all the new stuff (a lot has changed!) [smilie=yikes.gif] Going to have to start all over again (Tx. Parks and Wildlife won't except my old General Permit status) [smilie=angry5.gif] Oh, well. So I'll be a 50 year old apprentice! Now just gotta find a sponsor.. Joined THA already (froze my butt off in Abilene during the Great Ice Storm of '06) Anyway, just wanted to say Hi to everyone and looking forward to flying again [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Jimmy
02-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Welcome Greg.

What kind of things do you think have changed since way back when?

`Chris L.
02-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Greg,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you came back to the sport. What made you decide to get back into it?

I hope you find a sponsor.. I know texas has a pretty big club and alot of active falconers.

Keep us posted and please dont hesitate to post

Good luck and Welcome

GregP
02-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Welcome Greg.

What kind of things do you think have changed since way back when?

Hi Jimmy,

Quite a few things- on the equipment side such things as using parachute cord for jesses and creances, digital scales, giant hoods for transporting birds to the field, kite training, etc. There's also been a huge gain in general physiological/behavioral knowledge of raptos in the last 20 years. Try finding a Vet who had a clue about raptor health n 1970 [smilie=dontknow.gif] Certainly captive breeding and AI has changed drastically: who would have ever thunk you could cross a Redtail with a Harris', or a Gyr X Merlin (doesn't that make a bird about the size of a Peregrine?) [smilie=eusa_think.gif] Not sure I agree with all the hybridization? I was on the IFF for awhile- scary what the British are creating over there [smilie=yikes.gif] (JMHO) Personally I'm lookig forward to flying a good 'ol Redtail again- always was one of my favorite birds and perfect for where I live.

GregP
02-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Greg,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you came back to the sport. What made you decide to get back into it?

I hope you find a sponsor.. I know texas has a pretty big club and alot of active falconers.

Keep us posted and please dont hesitate to post

Good luck and Welcome

Howdy NAFEX!

Glad I'm coming back too- wasn't really a decision to come back to it so much as I never "mentally" left it (after 35 years if you still can't drive down a highway without checking out every telephone pole or fence post for a hawk then there's something wrong with ya!) [smilie=eusa_think.gif] But I chose to quit flying years ago because of job/personal responsibilities that would have prevented me from properly maintaining a bird. Bird has to come first, period. Now I'm in a position to put the bird first again! [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

everetkhorton
02-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Greg:
Welcome to the site, I am sure you will enjoy yourself. On line groups have to be another item that was not around much 20 years ago. I have found this group to be a very nice group. If you go into your profile you will be able to sign your name to every post. Along with some other comment if you wish. User names just do not stick with people, not for me anyway.
Good luck, I hope all goes well and glad to see you are on the active live after all the year. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] I stopped typing because I changed my profile [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

wesleyc6
02-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Glad to have you Greg!! You live in a game rich area, or so I hear! I have started the process of sending in some resumes in TEX. I am hoping it will work out to move there in a few months. I have to find a church and my wife needs to have passed her cert tests in GA. That will give her a one year provisional for Tex if I understand their site.

Glad you are back in the groove of things!

Tiercel78
02-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Wes I think that it's good that you are giving all those falconers over there a early warning of you anticipated arrival.-Zach

wesleyc6
02-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Just want to make sure those Texans cherish that high game population before I arrive. hehehehhe I was just planning out how to get my breeding birds out there safe and sound. Hopefully I will have 6 adults and all their babies!!!!

GregP
02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey Wes,

Not real rich in game right where I am, mostly rabbits. But we do get a lot of ducks on the ponds here during the winter (which is almost over- already seeing flowers showing up in the garden.) Do you know where in Texas you'll be settling?

wesleyc6
02-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi Greg,
I am sending resumes into El Paso and Lubbock and Amarillo. I have already sent some. We want to be near a large town again as my wife is from Savannah. I like the large towns to, as long as I can hunt the "country" areas. A small town just outside of one of the big cities would be ideal. There is only once church available in El Paso that I know of, but there are several around Lubbock and Amarillo to look at.