PDA

View Full Version : Here I be!

Yarak_Eric
04-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Greetings all! Just was referred over to this thread the other day. Wanted to start out and introduce myself etc. My name's Eric and I'm in the process of attaining my falconry license at this point. I've been intrigued with falconry since the fourth grade when we read My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead-George. Those books still mean so much to me even now as I've come to realize a lot of falacies with the ideas of the hunting style approached with Sam's little peregrine. Anyway, that's beside the point.
I currently reside in Vermillion, South Dakota (SE corner, close to Sioux City, IA, and across the big muddy from Nebraska). I've spent the last year, completly geeking out on forums, specifically the IFF (International Falconry Forum), reading every book I can get my hands on, mostly from the likes of Beebe and Webster, checkin out every DVD (Dan O'Briens SDPB DVD comes to mind), and preparing myself for my test this summer, as well as designing a suitable mews, and the plotting the appropriate placement in the backyard! I'm trying to make sure that there is no way that I am unprepared for my first Red-tail! There's a GRIP of em out this way, and on this side of SD, plenty of bunnies and pheasant! Been spottin some Kestrel lately that have had me thinking, but I think if I do decide to do anything with one, it'll be in my second year.
My mentor is a fellow the next town west in Yankton. He flys a beautiful Gos named Chip who's a bunny takin machine! I'm very confident in his experience that he will be able to guide me down the right path, as he's been at this for almost 30 years himself.
Gettin a bit long of wind, but I think I got everything covered in there. I guess I'd like to start off with a question as well. Does anyone know of any South Dakota Falconry clubs or associations where I may find people to share intrests with? I know falconers for the most part tend to be loners, but I've seen that there is a Nebraska gathering somewhere. Don't know how far off, but if it's not to distant, I might be interested in makin a trip.
I look forward to many discussions with you all, and learnin from the years of experience that you all have put in. I thank you for providin a great forum for us "Yanks" who fly a world a part than those on the other side of the pond!

Eric C. Reeves
Apprentice Falconer in Training

chamokane
04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome Eric, if you have rabbits and pheasants, there's a lot you can do with a Redtail. Have fun.

Chris L.
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Eric,
welcome to NAFEX. I hope you enjoy the falconry forum. We are a great group and there is a ton of info with in these pages. Take a look and have fun

good luck

KidK
04-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Eric,

Many of us were drawn to falconry through My Side of the Mountain. I know I was. I was more drawn thought to running away from home and living off the land. When I was 12 and told my mom I wanted to run away and live off the land, she said "Why you don't have to run away.. I'll drive you!" Kinda knocked the wind out of my sails..

There are a few falconers up around Pierre (Erickson comes to mind and I think Brad Mitchel is moving down that way).

There is no club in SD and the falconers are spread around the state. I have spent quite a bit of time hawking in SD (Northwest corner, Perkins county) and absolutely love it there. Attached is a shot of me and one of the goshawks I flew out there while visiting a friend. Goshawks are a ball in SD!

I think you will have a ball flying a redtail in your neck of the woods. Please keep us posted on your process. We are looking forward to hearing of your adventures

Yarak_Eric
04-17-2008, 09:29 PM
hehe, I'm still trying to plan my trip into the wilderness. I've since gotten into Wilderness Survival and Primitive Technology skills as well. Camping without tents or tools! Making everything on the spot! This is a recent addition into my hobbies, so not much experience there, but I'm hoping this summer brings a bit of experience my way. Gonna try to escape as much as I can. I'll see if I can find a pic of my mentor's Gos. and throw that up on here real quick.

Falconry Equipment International
04-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Eric welcome to the forum from a brit ( well paddy anyway) who is some way north of you! , did you now DAn O'Brien is in SD?

Yarak_Eric
04-17-2008, 09:46 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/whitetigersamurai/Chip1.jpg

Chip - Mentor's Goshawk (furry killin machine)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/whitetigersamurai/DougChip.jpg

The Total Package. Doug Winstead and Chip

FredFogg
04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey Eric,

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you hve done plenty of research and are ready to venture into this way of life. And believe me, it isn't a hobby, it is a way of life. LOL Not sure if you are aware of these websites, but here are a few that might help you along your way. You mentioned about nearby meets and falconers, well here is the link to the Nebraska Falconers Association, it will give you dates on meets and you can contact someone from there for more information.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nebraskafalconers/

And you probably have already seen this site, since you have already done your home work, but if not, it is a very good website for apprentices.

http://www.themodernapprentice.com/

And tell your future sponser to get that chicken off his fist! LOL Just kidding, absolutely beautiful gos he has! You look like you will be in good hands!

Good luck,

Yarak_Eric
04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the links Fred! I've spent a good bit of time at the modern apprentice site. Very interesting section they have about the details of mutes I most say! Hehe, I wasn't aware of the Nebraska link however, and I am very appreciative for that information! I'm so ready for September and the migratories comin along this year! I think I damn near drive my wife nuts with how much time I spend researchin and talkin her ear off about...."how everything's going to be this fall!" Or..."Look at that red-tail over there on that post!, That's the 33rd one I've seen so far on this drive!" Or so far, my favorite..."hey hunny, what was that lil bird there?" "uhhh..a Kestrel?" "GREAT, and was it a boy or girl?" "uhh..boy?" I must say she is very tolerant of my passions, and so far she hasn't let any of it REALLY get to her, in fact she's been telling me lately, when we go on our walks, or are driving somewhere, how much she's come to notice and recognize the wonderfulness of nature out there, that she never paid attention to before. I feel very lucky to have such a wonderful woman in my life, especially since she's carryin my first born! My little son, Jesse Tyler, is due June 6th, but we're thinkin he'll be here anytime within the next three weeks! I can't wait to be a dad, I'm already in the process of ordering the Raptors poster I found from the Peregrine Fund's site today, so that I can hang it right next to his crib to start his development and recognition off early! I can only hope he'll share his dad's passions, which will bring us closer together. Okay, sorry for ramblin guys, I'm just very excited to have such a warm response from you all!

Eric C. Reeves
Apprentice Falconer in Training

FredFogg
04-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Eric,

Are you scheduled to take your test yet? If not, I would get on the ball about it. You may think it is only April, trapping season isn't until the fall, but getting the test scheduled, then an inspection of your facilities and equipment and then the state getting the paper work done and then the feds, and finally getting your actual permits, well, it takes them a while. And more importantly, after the baby comes, your free time is going to be even less. LOL

Yarak_Eric
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
That's a good point. Uhm, here's where all my studying has not taken me. Where do I go, or who do I call, and how do I get scheduled for the test? I know I need to get that done and was hoping to get it done sometime around the end of June, beginning of July. I don't feel I've gotten alot of the Medical Terminology down yet. I was going to be ordering the California Hawking Clubs Apprentice Manual and Study Guide tommorow, unless someone knows a link where I can find all the text on line, or has a spare that they wouldn't mind donatin to the cause. So yeah, all the studyin I've put in, I still want to study more before I attempt to take that test. If I get below 80% I'll be out for the season doin this...confuseddfrushelppranttnoidea:mad:

FredFogg
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
You will have to contact the SD Wildlife folks, not sure what it is called out there and request information on taking your Falconry Exam. You probably should get with Doug if he is going to be your sponser and he can fill you in on who to contact. Here is a link to the CHC Study guide on Ebay, I would snatch it up. It should be all you need to pass the exam. Everyone says to read this and to read that, but for the exam, I found the Study Guide was sufficient. Read all the other stuff after you pass the exam so as not to get to confused. I would get on this as soon as possible, you don't want to wait until the end of June, if you do, you will end up not getting your permits until December.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apprentice-Study-Guide-Falconry-FB1076_W0QQitemZ370043348148QQihZ024QQcategoryZ378 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem