PDA

View Full Version : Imprinting and hacking should I?

E71000
07-16-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking that i would like to try imprinting and hacking a bird in the next year to 3 years as where i'm living now i think it would be a good place to hack a bird but i will not be living here for very long. I have only read threads about imprinting and hacking so i know ver little so wanted to know what are some good books i should read and good websites anyone i should talk to etc.

so where i live there is houses but my house backs on to a nice size of woods there is a coopers hawk living back there this year after seeing him hunt in my back yard a few times that is what has given me this idea frus).

i would like to try it with a AK or a coops i have all ways wanted to fly a ak but i have heard they aren't the best for hunting more for just having fun with the lure and i think how my land is set up it would be better for a coops or maybe i'm thinking to small of a bird? or is something a little bigger is easier? i don't want to spend a lot of money on the bird if i'm going to hack it if i was going to just do an imprint then i wouldn't care that much about the money but i would be pissed at my self if i spent a lot just to see it never come back from the hack

frigginchi
07-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Your AK will become a coops snack if you have a resident coops.

docdearmas
07-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Erik and Chi,
I agree with Chi. This raises a question for me as well. I am considering imprinting and tame hacking a coops next year. I live on a hill and there is a resident pair of RTH that have lived here longer than I, 15+ yrs. 5 years ago I had a passage RTH and during mating and nesting season the pair routinely harassed him in his weathering yard. Ultimately they got use to him being around. Is hacking in the territory of resident birds a serious concern?

Joe