View Full Version : Hello from North Central Washington

icentropy
07-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi all, Just started getting really interested in Falconry recently (have always dreamed about starting as a younger guy but had never been in the position to get started (due to location, job, etc.). Now I finally find myself in an ideal location (very rural with a decent sized property and with many neighbors with thousands of acres that i could hunt) and a job that gives me a lot of flexibility and enough free time that I can finally pursue this dream. As what may or may not be an added bonus I've also begun breeding rabbits which i think might come in handy. Right now I'm just in the beginning stages and have contacted the WFA to see if there's any Falconers in the area but it seems there isn't. Either way i was told I could still work with someone that was further away so I'm very excited. I purchased The Falconer's Apprentice by Oakes and have started reading through the modernapprentice website while the book gets here. Any Falconers in the area? I'm up in north central washington 30min outside of Oroville, WA. Also any one have any suggestions on good Falconry books for beginners?

Goshawk635
07-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I know you said you contacted WFA about falconers but try Steve Seibert DAL for WFA. He knows those falconers that fly below the radar and there are a couple guys in North central WA. Best of luck!

http://www.wafalconers.org/index.php/contact-info

icentropy
07-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I know you said you contacted WFA about falconers but try Steve Seibert DAL for WFA. He knows those falconers that fly below the radar and there are a couple guys in North central WA. Best of luck!

http://www.wafalconers.org/index.php/contact-info

Thanks for the lead Phil. I contacted the Central Director (Ron Updegrave) via the WFA website and also contacted them through their facebook page which I believe Lee Tostevin moderates. He said he'd start asking around for me. I'll send Steve an email if I don't hear back. I've got a lot of learning to do so I'm in no rush but it would be nice if there was a local Falconer (maybe within an hour or so) that I could go out with a few times to get some face to face time with the sport while I do my studying.

bdyelm
09-02-2015, 07:50 AM
How's the search going? Did you get the book A Falconry Manual by Frank Beebe? Its a good starter and also inexpensive.

Ally
09-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Washington has a ton of awesome members. Good luck in your journey!!!

icentropy
09-02-2015, 09:39 AM
How's the search going? Did you get the book A Falconry Manual by Frank Beebe? Its a good starter and also inexpensive.

No luck with Falconers in the area yet but I finished the Modern Apprentice's website (though i have to admit I had a hard time trying to absorb all the technical info in the health and mutes sections...holy smokes), and also finished the up Falconer's apprentice. I have "A Falconry Manual" on it's was as well as "Falconry - ...." by Gerald Lascelles. I spoke with Lee to get his opinion on good sources to study for the state test. He suggested the California Hawking Club Apprentice Manual and Study Guide, so I'll be picking that up as well. Lots to learn but I'm very excited. The more I learn the more I feel this is where I want to be.

Washington has a ton of awesome members. Good luck in your journey!!!

Thanks! I can tell it's going to be a long one but one way or another I feel there's always a way even if i have to do an apprenticeship at a distance but hopefully it doesn't come to that. I haven't exhausted my search yet for a local falconer but I decided if I'm going to try to win someone over that flys under the radar they probably don't want to deal with and waste time on someone that isn't serious so I'd better get to learning and be ready to show that I won't be someone that doesn't appreciate their time.

bdyelm
09-06-2015, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=icentropy;358907](though i have to admit I had a hard time trying to absorb all the technical info in the health and mutes sections...holy smokes QUOTE]

You'll pick it up once you start doing it. Things like weight management may seem confusing at first, but once you start seeing a change in the bird, and weigh the bird and feel the keel, get used to what mutes look like etc, it'll all start to make sense quickly.

I had a hard time finding a sponsor, one person was willing, but she was moving. Another person was only sponsoring very locally... Luckily I had known someone who was a falconer, but at the time he was out of state. Just keep looking, learning and asking.