PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

shane21613
09-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Hello,

My name is Shane and I am currently living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. About 10 years ago I came into my first contact with falconry while stationed in North Carolina. I have been a very active hunter since I was about 8 years old and I immediately fell in love with the sport. Due to the fact that I was in the military, afraid I would not have the time to dedicate to such an endeavor, I placed my thoughts on hold. I have been out for two years now and have finally gotten to a point that I feel I am interested learning more. I have found this forum very helpful and thank those who have passed on knowledge to help. I am hoping to find a sponsor soon, to at least have some hands on experience other than the inter-webs. I feel this will help with my decision to continue forward because I understand how big of a decision it is. Again, I thank you for the time and for the giant resource that has been collected here, any and all info is welcomed.

Shane

Heero
09-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi there Shane,

There are a bunch of good falconers over on the Eastern Shore. Im currently on the other side of the bay in Baltimore County.

Good luck with it. I hope you can get some field time this season.

Mike

shane21613
09-01-2015, 09:39 AM
I sincerely hope so as well. I have not had any luck finding anyone (sponsor) yet. I live in Dorchester county, and I am really excited. I find myself looking up and all over the place trying to spot birds now. Interesting enough, I have seen quit a few in my area. I am not going to give up though and if I have to travel, I don't mind a bit. Good to meet you and maybe we can catch up one day. I am in Annapolis very often.

Heero
09-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Sure thing, Shane. If youve hunting access (particularly if youve access anywhere you we can scare up a few quail :D), Im usually up for a trip down your way.

As for finding sponsors, it usually goes you spend a season meeting and hanging out with guys beating brush and the like then hope one of them will agree to take you on for the following season. Theres a list of potential sponsors somewhere on the MD DNR website, but Im not sure if any of the guys on the list are down your way.

Mike

shane21613
09-01-2015, 10:08 AM
I do have access to a lot of hunting land actually. From Kent Island down to the lower regions of Dorchester county. I have been hunting them since I was very young. I did call a couple of the numbers on the DNR site, only one seemed to be a correct number for an individual. I left a message and plan on maybe calling back this weekend. I don't want be a pester about it. I really don't mind doing the time or brush beating, I figured that goes with the territory and we have done that in the past with regards to the field dogs. I plan on going to a couple farms up by Kent island in the next week or so to do some scouting. I know there are several different types of game birds there, I will keep my eye out and see what I can find.