PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Central Florida

winningsoul
09-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Hello to all!

My name is Astrid. I became interested in falconry from the first grade. A book, My Side of the Mountain, sparked my interest and other books continued it. From then on I have always wanted to fly a falcon, but never knew how to begin. Recently I decided to do something about it, and began to research how to become a falconer. I was overjoyed to discover falconry is still a sport, and has a wonderful community of dedicated, passionate people. I am studying to take my examination, and hopefully, once I pass it, get a sponsor. This forum is such a fantastic opportunity to learn and grow. Blessings to you all and a warm thank you!

vampdragon
09-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Greetings Astrid! I hope you do well on your test!. It is a life changing event when you get involved in Falconry, but it is a wonderful one. You will learn a great deal in your first two years as and apprentice, but the learning never stops.

winningsoul
09-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Thank you for the welcome! I am excited to learn all I can, and do my best.

vampdragon
09-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Have you found a sponsor yet?

Tyme2fly
09-12-2015, 07:38 AM
What part of central Florida do you live in?
Florida Hawking Fraternity is having their annual picnic check out the website for more information. F-H-F.org
Welcome to the forum.

winningsoul
09-14-2015, 12:16 PM
No, I am not looking for a sponsor yet. I am still studying to take my exam. I want to prepare as much as I can so I can be ready when I do have a sponsor.
KT, I live in Lakeland, Florida. Thank you for the information and welcome. It would be wonderful to go.

vampdragon
09-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Just a suggestion, something that really worked very well for me, is to start looking and if possible find your sponsor soon, going to the meet would be a great place to find yourself a sponsor. Getting some "hands on" and having your future sponsor there to answer questions while you are studying and preparing will be a huge benefit to you. It will also give you an opportunity to work with your potential sponsor to make sure your personalities match as well, which will make your apprenticeship much more enjoyable.

winningsoul
09-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Thank you for your advice. I would love to go to the meet, but most likely will not be able to make it to this one. I really do want to get some hands on experience. My time will free up considerably by spring 2016 by which time I should have passed my exam. Falconry is a life long pursuit that I look forward to beginning. I have my mind set to dedicating 2016 to learning, becoming an apprentice, and continuing to learn. I guess you could say I am jumping the gun by partially beginning before I can fully dedicate myself and find a sponsor. Truth is, I am so impatient to start, I might as well start by learning what I can until I have the time to get out there and become a part of it.

rri32701
09-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Astrid,it takes a while to get you permit, possibly 4 months or longer.The best way to meet a sponsor is to go out with falconers hunting.If you are thinking about getting into it by next season then this season is your best bet to go out and meet people. I would try to go to the meet and the picnic.Its much easier to get a sponsor when they know who you are.

winningsoul
09-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Robert, thank you. I will keep that in mind.

Shoe
09-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Good luck Astrid! Keep us updated on your progress. I too am in central Florida near the attractions. It's been quite awhile, but I know Robert (rri32701) and he helped me trap a bird a few years back when the pickin's were slim. Always a plus to know falconers near you!

winningsoul
09-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Thank you Kevin!