PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice just moved to Milwaukee, WI!

jason vandewettering
09-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Hello all!

I first got into falconry waaaaayyyyyy up north in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I was stationed up there for 5 years and in my last year there I was introduced to a couple young harris hawks. Oh how I wish I would have been introduced to this sport earlier in my tour there. I fell in love with Samwise and Sadie and decided to take up the sport.

I was able to get licensed while up there, but within a couple months of obtaining my license I was transferred to VA. My job in VA was intense and I didn't want to get a bird as I had a fear I wouldn't have the time necessary to devote to it. Fast forward a couple years and I was transferred to FL where I had the same problem....But now!!!!

I was recently transferred up to Milwaukee, WI where my job once again allows me to practice falconry. My sponsor from MI has agreed to maintain his sponsorship, so I'm not soliciting a sponsor (from what I read in the regs, WI has an agreement with MI where I can have a MI sponsor even though I'm in WI). I'm very much looking forward to getting back into the sport. Oh, and hanging up this career that has me dragging my kids all over the country.

I'm hoping to get connected to the WI Falconers Association, beat some brush for some people, and hopefully...just maybe, be able to trap my own Red-Tail this fall (provided I can get my mews up, inspected and have my license transferred to WI). Eventually, I'd love to meet someone who can spend some time with me and be a mentor since my sponsor is so far away, but chemistry, availability, etc...I know there is a lot that goes into that kind of stuff.

So just a little about me. I'm a 36 year-old newly-single father of 2 (a pre-teen and a 13 year-old). I'm currently in the military, but I'm trying my best to make this my last move. I'm setting up an exit strategy so I hopefully can get a civilian job and stay here in Milwaukee. I grew up on a horse farm and love just about any animal. We have two dogs at home (a mini-dachshund and a golden-pit we are training as a service dog). I do have a busy life, but falconry is very important to me and I am willing to make some sacrifices to free up time for the sport.

If there is anyone in the Milwaukee area (particularly the north side, up by Glendale), please message me. I love to beat brush or even just sit around talking about falconry (maybe even while having a beer or two).

Right now my entire biography is out-of-date as well as my signature. For some reason it won't let me update it and I'll have to figure that out later...so I'll just end up with two signatures on here I guess.

Respectfully,
~Jason Vande Wettering
Milwaukee, WI

Buckeye Falconer
09-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Hey Jason!! Welcome back to the fold! Good to hear you've still got that doxie!! Looking forward to hearing your trapping and Hunting stories.

jason vandewettering
09-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Hey Joe! Yes, we still have little Eugene. We found out early on he's not much of a farm dog. Before he turned 1 we brought him out to the farm and he immediately got away from us and wanted to play with the horses. It resulted in him getting stepped on and breaking his pelvis. Thankfully he didn't need surgery, just a lot of kennel rest and it seemed like all was good. Now that he's getting up there (7.5 years), he's really starting to favor that hip and you can tell he doesn't like it touched much. Not aggressive at all, just doesn't like it touched.
Anyway, having career responsibilities that took me out of the field over the last 3 years and with his hip bothering him so much, he's out of practice chasing rabbits, but he's turned into a great family dog.

Buckeye Falconer
09-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Good to hear! Welcome back to falconry!!.