PDA

View Full Version : Lost Peregrine

jmnucci
10-14-2015, 09:49 AM
I lost my female peregrine Monday afternoon. Tracked her 120 miles from WY to the mountains around Silverthorne, CO. Had a decent signal up in an inaccessible area Monday night and no signal when I came back yesterday morning. Wearing a Marshall RT on a trackpack transmitting 434.005 but it went to double beep during the chase so if probably is either dead or about to be. Only hope is someone notices the transmitter on her back and reports her. If she continues to head south at that rate she will probably be in NM by now. Give me a shout if anyone hears anything. 303-877-3792.

Tanner
10-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Hang in there Justin. The double beep starts quite a while before the battery dies, you have at least a few days.

jmnucci
10-14-2015, 03:04 PM
The problem is the area where she ended up. I'd never tracked a bird through the mountains before. I was pretty much determining where she was by where I could and could not get a signal from. She could be a mile away "as the falcon flies" but you will not get a signal if there is a mountain between you. You'd have to get real lucky to drive past where she was, get the signal, and then hopefully have access to that area. It was so freaking frustrating. That chase took me over two passes and three valleys. Heartbreaker to not get her back.

Not to mention that where I lost her is a 2 hour drive from my house...

Guess I should have bought a GPS system.

JRedig
10-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Rent a plane/pilot.

jmnucci
10-15-2015, 10:03 AM
I've reached out to the HAM radio community and have gotten a lot of calls and feedback regarding what they are listening for and how it could help me. So far no luck, but I will have to say it has been a good experience reaching out to them and getting so much response. Hoping someone hears something. I don't think that transmitter has got much left in it.