PDA

View Full Version : Californians?

Tiercels
12-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Hello all,

I'm writing as a college student in California. I graduate this summer, which means I'll finally have the time and facilities to begin my apprenticeship! I spend my time between the Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara areas.

I discovered falconry two years ago, and have been studying for the exam since then. Currently I work with injured and unreleasable ambassador birds, presenting to the public about birds of prey. Most of our birds aren't flighted, so I'm always eager to attend falconry meets and tag along on hunts.

Good to meet you all!

- Hannah

Megapode
12-14-2015, 09:59 PM
The CHC meet is coming up soon. You sound like you should take the test asap.If you have passed the test, getting a sponsor hook up at the meet is possible. I have seen it happen before. It is getting late in the season to trap a raptor, so concentrate on making a few friends that are willing to show you what to do.
Nothing like getting up before dawn to meet some guys you just met then follow them in the fog for an hour to the middle of nowhere, walk around for an hour not knowing where the bird disappeared to, finally someone yells that it is down on game, but you missed it because you were looking the wrong way. My first time out a Harris tried to land on my head. You find out if you are peculiar / determined / patient enough to pursue falconry.