PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Dubai

Tobi
05-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Hi,

my name is Tobi and I'm new on here. I currently live in Dubai where I am working for a private falcon breeding project. I am German, have 2 dogs:D. Looking forward to meeting some nice people on here and have some relaxed chats on hawking, hawks and other stuff.

sakerjack
05-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Welcome aboard!!

goshawks00
05-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Tobi,
Welcome to the site!! So tell us about yourself ... who's project are you working for? What do you do for them.... , experiences doing that, how long have you been employed there and what birds are you working with?
That will work for starters<G> Hope you become an active member here...
Barry

Lee Slikkers
05-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Welcome aboard Tobi...I look forward to hearing things from your side of the world.

p.s. what type of bird is on your avatar...it looks familar but I can't place it. Thanks

Tobi
05-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Welcome aboard Tobi...I look forward to hearing things from your side of the world.

p.s. what type of bird is on your avatar...it looks familar but I can't place it. Thanks
it's a black chested eagle buzzard (Geranoaetus melanoleucus). The bird on the pic was 2yrs old at the time, in her immature plumage. I used to fly her in Germany, really nice bird.

Lee Slikkers
05-06-2008, 09:29 AM
it's a black chested eagle buzzard (Geranoaetus melanoleucus). The bird on the pic was 2yrs old at the time, in her immature plumage. I used to fly her in Germany, really nice bird.

Very stunning bird...what is their typical size/weight range and what type of quarry was he flown on? What type of flight style...free flying, off the fist, etc? Any pics of them in adult plummage?

jhausman
05-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Welcome Tobi! (welc)

RTJim
05-07-2008, 12:04 AM
(welc) Welcome Tobi......please give us your thoughts .....jm

Tobi
05-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Very stunning bird...what is their typical size/weight range and what type of quarry was he flown on? What type of flight style...free flying, off the fist, etc? Any pics of them in adult plummage?

This particular bird was a display bird, she used to soar and stoop on my fist. She was around 1900-2000 grams. My girlfriend used to hunt a tiny male round 1200 grms at rabbits, from the fist and following on. Nothing like my FRT at the same weight though...:D

Lee Slikkers
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
RT's are hard to beat...you'll get no arguments from me on that one.

jfseaman
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Tobi, does this look familiar.

Black Chested Eagle Buzzard in Germany October 2007.

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/bceb/bceb1.jpg

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/bceb/bceb2.jpg

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/bceb/bceb3.jpg

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/bceb/bceb4.jpg

Tobi
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Tobi, does this look familiar.

Black Chested Eagle Buzzard in Germany October 2007.

This does look more than familiar!! That's the place where I learned my first falconry bits and where I finally bought my RT. She is in their breeding chamber now, sitting on 2 eggs, as I could not take her with me to Dubai.frus
Anyone ever coming to Germany, YOU MUST VISIT the GAMEPARK in HELLENTHAL near Cologne. My girlfriend literally grew up in this park. They are very nice people and always take time for foreign Falconers.
The guy with the bird is Thomas, their head Falconer, the guy in the back with the mic is Karl, the owner of the place...
It's not the place where I worked with the bird from my avatar though.

jfseaman
05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
This does look more than familiar!! That's the place where I learned my first falconry bits and where I finally bought my RT. She is in their breeding chamber now, sitting on 2 eggs, as I could not take her with me to Dubai.frus
Anyone ever coming to Germany, YOU MUST VISIT the GAMEPARK in HELLENTHAL near Cologne. My girlfriend literally grew up in this park. They are very nice people and always take time for foreign Falconers.
The guy with the bird is Thomas, their head Falconer, the guy in the back with the mic is Karl, the owner of the place...
It's not the place where I worked with the bird from my avatar though.
I was there in October 2007. Had a coffee with Karl and Thomas showed us around. I probably saw your RT if it was there then as we were behind the scenes in the breeding area. It was a 'bus mans holiday'. Some former co-workers and I made a trip from England to Belgium and Germany. They were swapping some breeding stock and checking in person on some potential purchases. I was checking on my lanners, hunting and visiting Hellenthal and Parc Paradisio.

Tobi
05-09-2008, 01:00 PM
So you are flying lanners in CA? At game? I'm currently imprinting my new hawk, a Shikra. It's around 10 day old, sex yet to be determined. This is my first imprint accipiter, so we'll see how it goes.

Lee Slikkers
05-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd love to see pics nad read a journal of your Shikra experience...they are very neat birds.

Tobi
05-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I'll take some pics of the chick tomorrow and post them. I'm really excited about it. They are said to be small Goshawks, as they have thicker and shorter toes than Sparrowhawks, Cooper's or Sharpies. I've only flown passage European Spars so far. My aim with her (hoping that she is a female) are palm doves and mynahs, possibly sparrows depending on her skills. If it is a musket there are plenty passerines around here....

jfseaman
05-09-2008, 09:13 PM
So you are flying lanners in CA? At game? I'm currently imprinting my new hawk, a Shikra. It's around 10 day old, sex yet to be determined. This is my first imprint accipiter, so we'll see how it goes.

Sadly, no they are my breeding project. I would love to hunt with them but as you probably know, the restrictions on falconry and falconry related activities are severe. If I were to hunt with the lanners, I wouldn't be able to get a passage redtail in the autum.

I will hunt with their offspring.