PDA

View Full Version : Hello from British Columbia, Canada!

AlexandraG
04-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Hi!
My name is Alex, I work at a bird of prey/falconry centre, and it has really kindled my love for these amazing birds. I'm now looking forward to getting my own bird to hunt with (probably a Harris Hawk, although I also love working with redtails as well), unfortunately there aren't many other practicing falconers in my area so I am looking for as many other avenues to absorb falconry as possible! There is always so much more to learn, and it's awesome to see communities like this :)

Alexandra Goguen

nayeem
04-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Hi Alexandra,

Welcome to the forum. What part of beautiful British Columbia are you in?

What sort of quarry do you have in your area, any squirrels?

If its your first bird it may be best to trap a red tail so you can release it after the season, if you wanted to. Plus you also get to experience trapping a wild bird, which is traditional to the sport.

There is a lot of helpful information on this forum. Enjoy!

AlexandraG
04-02-2016, 12:29 AM
I'm from Vancouver Island.
There are squirrels, and lots of cotton tails in my area too.
I've perused the forum a bit so far, lots of excellent information!

Alexandra

red_tailed
04-02-2016, 12:51 AM
Welcome. Hawking squirrels with a red-tail is some of the most fun I've ever witnessed (better suited for them than a HH, passage rth that is). Many of our club members are on the island. Some close to Duncan area. We are having a BBQ this summer on the mainland. All welcome

Bob
BC, Canada

AlexandraG
04-02-2016, 01:12 AM
That's awesome, I live pretty close to Duncan! I tried googling falconry clubs around in the area but couldn't find anything. I knew joining this forum was a good idea ;)

Alexandra

goshawkr
04-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Welcome. Hawking squirrels with a red-tail is some of the most fun I've ever witnessed (better suited for them than a HH, passage rth that is). Many of our club members are on the island. Some close to Duncan area. We are having a BBQ this summer on the mainland. All welcome

Bob
BC, Canada

Hey Bob,

If you send information to your neighbors to the South about the whens and wheres, some of us might join you. <hint, hint, hint....>

red_tailed
04-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Geoff. Yup it will be an open invite. It will be at my place (only like 10 min from Dan pikes place, Aldergrove border crossing)

Bob
BC, Canada

red_tailed
04-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Still working on dates and other finite details. But will be around late June-mid July.

Bob
BC, Canada