PDA

View Full Version : "Eaglet"

raptrlvr
05-19-2008, 07:31 PM
This Golden eagle chick appears to be about 8 or 9 days old. The other chick is to the left and was too young to stand up. If you look to the right of the one standing up, you can see part of a snake that the parents caught for food. there was also rabbit in the nest.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0002AB-11.jpg

Kenn Filkins
05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Jim,

Great photo! clapp Eagles are awesome.... Golden eagles that is.... We have many bald eagles here in the EUP (Eastern Upper Peninsula) of Michigan.

Thanks for posting the pic.

raptrlvr
05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Ken, we have lots of goldens here year round. When it gets a little colder, we have a few balds. I think they are awesome also.

FredFogg
05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Jim, great picture! Love that black beak! I didn't realize the goldens mouths went back so far, almost looks like a ferru, but that black beak gives it away. Would love to see goldens on a regular basis. Only saw one when I went to the NAFA meet in Kansas and only one at the meet in Nebraska. I guess further west and I would see more.

raptrlvr
06-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Went back out to check on the eagles today. They are both doing great and one is pretty well feathered. They flattened out in the nest as soon as we got close to them. They had their heads together and you can see the eye of the one that is feathered. BIG BABIES.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0013A-2.jpg
When my wife and I got home, this is what we saw from our front door. Lucky for us the winds were in our favor today. These pic's were taken from my front yard.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0070A.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0080A.jpg

robhawkyyz
06-10-2008, 12:19 AM
great pics of the golden chicks!!! and i didn't know you guys were on fire? you only seem to hear California is blazing. i hope the winds work for you!!!

raptrlvr
06-10-2008, 12:44 AM
When we left this morning we were not on fire. When we were driving home from checking the eagles, my wife and I were joking that the smoke we saw was our house. Come to find out it was between 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile away from our house. They made about 25 air drops because most of the area was not accessible by roads or foot and that knocked down most of the fire. I just went outside and I can see a couple of flare ups burning, but, nothing to worry about. It was pretty awesome to watch those planes come in and make the drops. Here is another one. The pilot in the small plane was really good at guiding the bigger plane in to the hot spots.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0191A.jpg

everetkhorton
06-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Jim:
That is getting way to close, keep us posted. Keep safe.

awahl
06-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Those fires in California... they are here in my city. My parents, inlaws and brothers family had to evacuate a few days. We were camping at the time, so they used our house down the hill. It is a mess around here. 50 homes lost. I think they are getting a handle on it now.

raptrlvr
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
California always has lots of fires. I have cleared away most of the dried grass and dead trees from around my house. I have about a 25 yard fire break and I'll be clearing more in the next few weeks. I don't think our house would be in danger even if the fire was on our property because of the fire break.

tacatanach
06-15-2008, 02:40 PM
California always has lots of fires. I have cleared away most of the dried grass and dead trees from around my house. I have about a 25 yard fire break and I'll be clearing more in the next few weeks. I don't think our house would be in danger even if the fire was on our property because of the fire break.

That is a great idea. My family owned a cabin up in the San Bernideno mountains (outside of Los Angeles). 5 years ago or so a huge fire went threw, most of our neighbor's homes were destroyed but ours was saved. The firefighters later said the only reason they were able to save ours was because we had a 20 yard fire break (our dirt circular driveway) that gave them enough room/time to coat our house with foam. None of our neigbors had firebreaks and so the foam wouldn't have protected their homes and the firefighters couldn't have applied it safely with the fire so close. Guess my grandma knew what she was talking about when she insisted on a wide, clear, circular driveway. It was a pain to keep stuff from growing on it, but it paid off during the fires.

I have an obsession with wildland fire and had found a way to link into the fire radio in that area and listened to this all go down, it was amazing hearing the announcements that our place was the only made it especially since we'd all given up on it after seeing TV footage of a news van burning down about 50ft below our place.

raptrlvr
06-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Yea, I still own a house just below San Bernardino {Norco} and I worry every time I hear about a fire in California. Especially when the Santa Ana winds come up with the fire. I remember the fire you are talking about and if I remember right several people died in it including 4 or 5 firefighters.