PDA

View Full Version : Spring Banding @ Whitefish Point, Michigan

Kenn Filkins
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I thought you all may like to see a few pics and a map from one of the best SPRING trapping/banding places in the Midwest. Whitefish Point (see map) is a "funnel" for the raptors trying to get to Canada around Lake Superior. The pic for may Avatar was shot of three Sharpshinned hawks being released at the same time.... No Photoshop work there.... Included below are a pictures of a Quad of Sharpies, a scene of the dunes at Whitefish Point, a falcon face, and a scream pic. The bander in the scene pic is Tim Lickly, of Clare, MI.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn122/jaakmerlin/WFPmap.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn122/jaakmerlin/QuadSharp.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn122/jaakmerlin/falconFace.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn122/jaakmerlin/WFPscene.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn122/jaakmerlin/scream.jpg

kimmerar
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
clapp What fun that would be!! Thanks for posting so many pics of my favorite birds!! Wish I lived closer. I thought that was a photoshop when you first joined. Cool that it's not.

Thanks again

MikeT307
05-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Looks like an awesome spot and beautiful birds!

Lee Slikkers
05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Now THAT is some cool stuff Kenn!

wesleyc6
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes, great pictures!!!! I can't believe you guys were arguing over who ate all the potato chips though when there were birds to trap;)

Kenn Filkins
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Yes, great pictures!!!! I can't believe you guys were arguing over who ate all the potato chips though when there were birds to trap;)

But they were special chips with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce!

hawkstir
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Absolutely love the Kestrel head shot, great detail!

Kenn Filkins
05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Absolutely love the Kestrel head shot, great detail!

That's my favorite K-shot.... I thought others might like it too. I especially like the horizon scene (no Photoshop here either) in the eye of the falcon.

BTW: The crew at WFP band hundreds and hundreds of hawks and some owls each spring.

FredFogg
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Uhmm, I will take a 1 passage sharpie, 1 passage gos, and ...hmmmm...that will do for now! LOL Awesome pictures, looks like the perfect spot to trap.

Lee Slikkers
05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Fred, you are on the right track here I think :D

Ok, here's a question I probably shouldn't ask out loud...who knows what the Fed reg's are on taking Northern Hawk Owls?

redtailflyer
05-20-2008, 07:02 PM
looks like fun!!

jhausman
05-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Hey Kenn,

Do you know Mike Jones? He traps up there every year. One of the best of men.

Good stuff! Thanks for the great photos!

Jason

Kenn Filkins
05-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey Kenn,

Do you know Mike Jones? He traps up there every year. One of the best of men.

Good stuff! Thanks for the great photos!

Jason

I've know Mike Jones, South Bend, IN, since I moved to Northern Indiana in Oct. of 1979.

He was my sponsor for falconry in 1979. He's long been a great friend, even after I moved from Indiana....

jhausman
05-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I've know Mike Jones, South Bend, IN, since I moved to Northern Indiana in Oct. of 1979.

He was my sponsor for falconry in 1979. He's long been a great friend, even after I moved from Indiana....

He is a really good guy... best of the best. Figured you would know him! I am originally from Terre Haute, IN and am a member of IFA. I make the yearly February trip to the Terre Haute meet. Hang out with Don Garvin, Mike & Jeff Jones, Doug Arnold, Greg Thomas and the gang. Lots of fun. I have seen a lot of the pics from the adventures at Whitefish Point... great stuff! I am going duck hawking with Doug Arnold in ND in October. I am really looking forward to that trip!

Thanks for the great pics!

Jason

Kenn Filkins
05-21-2008, 03:07 PM
He is a really good guy... best of the best. Figured you would know him! I am originally from Terre Haute, IN and am a member of IFA. I make the yearly February trip to the Terre Haute meet. Hang out with Don Garvin, Mike & Jeff Jones, Doug Arnold, Greg Thomas and the gang. Lots of fun. I have seen a lot of the pics from the adventures at Whitefish Point... great stuff! I am going duck hawking with Doug Arnold in ND in October. I am really looking forward to that trip!

Thanks for the great pics!

Jason

ND duck hawking sounds like a great time. Make sure you post some pics after you get back. I miss the Terre Haute meets. I'm planning to go to the Merrillville meet in N. Indiana... I think I was the first Indiana falconer to hawk Merrillville fields all those years ago.... It will be fun to get back there.

gabboon
05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
and some owls each spring.

I think they have banded over a thousand owls this spring.

Its one of those places I'd like to visit someday.

thanks for the photos.

jhausman
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
ND duck hawking sounds like a great time. Make sure you post some pics after you get back. I miss the Terre Haute meets. I'm planning to go to the Merrillville meet in N. Indiana... I think I was the first Indiana falconer to hawk Merrillville fields all those years ago.... It will be fun to get back there.

I will certainly post pics after the ND week. I am also planning a trip to AZ and of course the Terre Haute meet. So, I should have some good pics and video from those trips as well. Have fun in Merrillville!

Jason