PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Phoenix, AZ

Haroldiv
10-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Apprentice Falconer here and very excited to begin my journey in this amazing sport. I just trapped a passage female american kestrel last week and things have been going swimmingly so far. I think I have watched just about every youtube video ever made with the keyword kestrel in it which has been great.

We have just gotten to the point where she hops to my glove for food. I really took to heart the advice I read about spending as much time as possible with them in the beginning. She has either been on my glove or on a perch next to me just about non stop since I got her. She was 98g with an empty crop when I got her so she wont be a monster but shes not a runt either. I am just about to begin slowly dropping her weight now that I have built up some trust with her.

Anyway, cant wait to start diving into the threads here. Look forward to talking with you all. Here are some pics I took of her. I am biased but I think she's gorgeous!

https://i.imgur.com/sZLb2LE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DnGCbwb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xEiGozf.jpg
-Harold Smith
Phoenix, Az

Chris L.
10-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Hi Harold,

Welcome to NAFEX and this amazing sport. Congrats on trapping her, She is beautiful for sure.

There are some very talented micro hawkers on this forum. If you ever have any questions please dont hesitate to post.

Good luck and keep the updates coming

Captain Gizmo
10-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Kestrels are neat. Making a good score on feather with a Kestrel is on my life list.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert

P.S.: I am also the Cheap Beep Project. Check in with me when you are ready to do telemetry. I can provide advice and hardware for low cost systems.
Transmitters as light as 2.0 gm.

HaHas
10-25-2016, 01:52 PM
so funny I saw this on reddit first and was thinking i got the two sites confused congrats

Shawn Grahn
Gilbert AZ

Haroldiv
10-25-2016, 01:57 PM
so funny I saw this on reddit first and was thinking i got the two sites confused congrats

Shawn Grahn
Gilbert AZ

Haha, yeah i am an active redditor but jeez /r/birdsofprey is low pop. When I found this site I was ecstatic to see it has such an active community!

Haroldiv
10-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Kestrels are neat. Making a good score on feather with a Kestrel is on my life list.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert

P.S.: I am also the Cheap Beep Project. Check in with me when you are ready to do telemetry. I can provide advice and hardware for low cost systems.
Transmitters as light as 2.0 gm.

Hey Tom! Absolutely! We actually got a chance to chat at the prescott picnic a few months ago. I was there with my wife. I just had a recent death in the family so I will be busy for the next week or so with arrangements but will be contacting you soon after to get started on putting it together.

jaredharris
10-25-2016, 04:33 PM
is that a goat on your front porch lol?

welcome to the forum buddy! you, the bird and the goat dog

Haroldiv
10-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Yes indeed it is. We have quite the family. 2 goats, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 1 horse, 1 bunny and now a falcon, or as my wife calls her "The Vampire Quail". Thanks for the warm welcome =)

HaHas
10-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Haha, yeah i am an active redditor but jeez /r/birdsofprey is low pop. When I found this site I was ecstatic to see it has such an active community!

Exactly it's like a ghost town there compared to most reddits.
I'm out in Phoenix area to would love to meet up sometime and talk birds I live in Gilbert but work out in Peoria.

Haroldiv
10-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Exactly it's like a ghost town there compared to most reddits.
I'm out in Phoenix area to would love to meet up sometime and talk birds I live in Gilbert but work out in Peoria.

Absolutely. And ouch that's a hell of a commute but I actually live right along your path at the 101 and 51 lol. So yeah lets grab a burger or a beer. Im currently sharing a sponsor with a dude who just trapped a harris and lives almost across the street from me so i'll get him to come too!

HawkinCrazy
10-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Welcome! You must be Matt's second apprentice. I've met Pete, and I look forward to meeting you out in the field. Good luck with her. I love micros, I've had a couple of merlins that were fairly successful. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.