PDA

View Full Version : Charleston WV

Russell313
11-15-2016, 10:54 PM
hey every1 my name is Rusty i live in charleston wv and im looking for any help from members who may live in the area. After over a month of reasearch and failed attempts to get a return call or email from both vera from the dnr and the wv falconry club ive hit a brick wall on finding amy potential sponsors in the charleston area.

Gregg
11-16-2016, 01:03 AM
Rusty, I would continue trying to get in touch with Vera, or head over to the office. We have been here (Morgantown) four years and she has always been extremely helpful. She did experience a few health issues not to long ago that caused her to lag behind some with her communications.
There aren't many falconers in the state, but all that I've been in touch with have been more then helpful.
Gregg

Russell313
11-16-2016, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the reply Gregg.That would be a good reason i havent been able to contact her. Ill keep trying and hopefully ill find a sponsor in the area i know its getting kinda late in the year this go around but at some point luck has to change right?
-Rusty

Gregg
11-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Chances are you will not find a falconer within driving distance <g> I know at least one apprentice in WV that is a couple of hours from his sponsor. That said, it's not a bad idea to touch base with the Kentucky and Ohio clubs to see if anyone is close that would let you come out and help beat the brush for them. It won't help with regard to sponsorship, but it will sure help with regard to experience and getting to know people within the community.
Gregg

FlyWV
11-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Rusty you can pm later I'll give you my contact info. I'll be more than happy to help you out. I'm in the Clarksburg/Fairmont area.
Tim

Russell313
11-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Pm sent Tim.
-Rusty

Russell313
11-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Well good news finally got in touch with vera she was very helpful emailed me a ton of information i have been searching high and low for now i can move foward.
-Rusty

Gregg
11-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Great news Russell. Tim's not that long off the apprentice tract and can help you navigate local waters (I came from Texas and at my age, five plus years is a blip on the radar) and I know there are a few apprentices (West By God Apprentices) that are on this list and the Red-tail falconry FB page.

Gregg

Russell313
11-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Yea from the list sent tome there is one local guy about 15 miles from me other than that Tim is the next closest to me i would have thought there would be more in the state but from the looks of the list there are only 12 who are willing to sponsor. I dont mind to travel for experience this is not something i want to be ok at i want to know everything there is to know and pass it down. I seem to have a high concentration of red tails at the family farm and i often find myself watching them instead of the deer.
-Rusty

Gregg
11-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Local is good. If the person 15 miles from you will let you help flush game, volunteer. Like I said, I am new to the state (relatively) and hated leaving my Avian Vet in Texas (Dr. Greg Moore) but, we have a pretty good one (excellent really) in Dr. Jesse Fallon here in Morgantown. That is not that much of a drive considering I would drive 4 plus hours to Greg on a regular basis. If you have a local falconer and access to good vet care....your doing pretty darn good. Onward!
Gregg

Russell313
11-16-2016, 07:08 PM
its looking alot better today than a when i made this post thats for sure. now to track down a number for the local falconer. name is colin vera gave me an address but thats all the contact info she had for him. maybe someone around here will know him.
-Rusty

Gregg
11-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Trust me, a well written letter delivered via snail mail will go a long way. Add to that my original recommendation of touching base with Ohio and Kentucky falconers that are within driving distance, will help quite a bit when it comes to accumulating practical experience. It will be a couple of weeks before my bird is ready, but once she is ready to go, you are welcome here.
Gregg

Gregg
11-16-2016, 07:35 PM
PS: and I know Tim and his apprentices will do what they can as well!

Russell313
11-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Every1 has been a huge help so far its so much easier with help. I have tims contact info and also got into contact with the local falconer also now to keep studying.
-Rusty

Russell313
11-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Turns out the local falconer doesnt have a bird this year and doesnt know when he will get one again.
-Rusty

Gregg
11-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Is he willing to sponsor?
As far as the study guide goes, I will ask my apprentice about local regs...........and Tim can tell you how close the California Guide can help.

Gregg

Russell313
11-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Not sure Gregg i didn't really ask due to the fact he has no bird and didn't seem to interested at this time so i just left the conversation where it was and ill take him up on his invite when he decides to get another bird.
-Rusty