PDA

View Full Version : opening kills

wesleyc6
05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
McD advises us to open up the kills for the birds. He states that the first time or two the fat eyass may step of the kill and then return. I would assume this must be at least a little offensive to the eyass. Does anyone else think this could cause resentment on the kill. I know when I tear skin there is usally a point where it "pops" and my hand jerks. I thought maybe it would be better to just reach in and touch the prey and hawk often?

What do you guys/gals think?

Saluqi
05-28-2008, 11:07 AM
McD advises us to open up the kills for the birds. He states that the first time or two the fat eyass may step of the kill and then return. I would assume this must be at least a little offensive to the eyass. Does anyone else think this could cause resentment on the kill. I know when I tear skin there is usally a point where it "pops" and my hand jerks. I thought maybe it would be better to just reach in and touch the prey and hawk often?

What do you guys/gals think?

If no one else is going to take a stab at it, I will. When they are young and fat, pre-penning, it's all good and well to reach in and open up the "kill", it gives them the idea that there's food under them thar feathers, or fur as the case may be. If you don't want to rip it open with your hands for fear of jerking your hand, you can very carefully use your game shears, put your gloved hand over the birds feet for protection and snip open the kill with your right.

In my opinion, once the bird has penned and you are out in the field for real hunting you shouldn't need to open up the kills for the bird. If they are at the correct weight they'll quickly transition from the initial excitement of catching prey to the next step which is plucking or pluming. Then you have to decide what strategy you want to use from that point onward.

Edit: I didn't answer your question about resentment, no I don't think it causes resentment in the pre-penning eyass, I do think you open the door on resentment in the penned eyass, especially if your are bumble handed on the kill - allways a possibility during the excitement of the catch. I'll tell you a horrific story sometime about an experience I had with Frieda last fall, just not now.

John
05-28-2008, 01:11 PM
I agree with Paul on this. IMO the idea about opening kills early on is to accomplish two things: 1) get the bird used to you approaching and reaching in, and 2) get it eating quickly so it becomes routine. There's no question if you're heavy handed with the early stuff, you can cause resentment. I've been guilty of this and it's a great point to make that your own excitement can lead to clumsy handling on the kill.

I also think once the bird is catching consistently and seriously hunting, you don't need to do it anymore because catching and immediately eating should be habit. Myself, I try not to place any part of me between the hawk and kill after the initial catch. I don't do the stretch anymore, but use the squeeze to dispatch rabbits and keep my arm and hands from covering the rabbit. Once she's settled down and focused on eating, I can trade her off, but before she's settled, I just try to stay out of her way. I also try to never move her from where she's made a kill unless I have to. I just think the less you can offend them when they're all geeked up after a kill, the better. JMHO.

wesleyc6
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for sharing the insight fellas!!! Maybe a few others will chime in also.(welc)