PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Begin!

blkdout
02-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Hello everyone!

I always thought this kind of thing was out of reach for me and simply admired all that do it. After spending hours reading and watching videos, I realized I can pull this off! I just found out there is a school here in central Ohio that sponsors hawk walks and lends some hands-on experience handling the birds.

I cannot enroll until April and have quite a bit of learning to do anyway, so here I am!

Looking forward to all the education the site has to offer!

raptor38
02-20-2017, 11:00 PM
I would suggest you find a falconer in your area and ask to tag along with them on a hunt. Falconry and hunting is much different than hawk walks. I am not saying don't go to the school and check it out.

blkdout
02-21-2017, 12:23 AM
I would suggest you find a falconer in your area and ask to tag along with them on a hunt. Falconry and hunting is much different than hawk walks. I am not saying don't go to the school and check it out.

That's exactly my plan :)

I'm hoping the "school" will help make my acquaintance with a falconer. However, I really want to learn as much as possible before meeting someone so I can at least speak the language.

Besides the hunt, I'm also interested in what happens during the off season and how to be a good caretaker when illness or injury occurs. I'm not looking for a pet or companion but definitely want this to be a healthy relationship for the animal and myself.

HGlider
02-21-2017, 04:04 AM
Hawk walks are fine if you think hawks are beautiful creatures and are deserving of others understanding. Falconry is more for the person that is interested in what makes them tick. And that their normal lifestyle is neither cruel nor disgusting in that they have to kill to stay alive. And that nature is fascinating in all it's aspects and that you want to see nature in all it's realities and watch the skill of the raptor on it's daily hunt. Nothing wrong with schools as they play their part in educating the average Joe. Falconry is more for the down and dirty type of person.

blkdout
02-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Falconry is more for the down and dirty type of person.

That's me!

Falconers aren't exactly sending out invitations and flying balloons at their mailbox in my area so I was hoping the walk/class would help get my foot in the door.

Are you guys saying I should just skip the walk? Are they dumb?

Ken S.
02-21-2017, 09:45 AM
There are some falconers on here from Ohio that are still out hawking(season is starting to wrap up for the year for most), hopefully someone will speak up and take you out hunting. I don't know anything about hawk walks, but I'd probably suggest saving your money and using it on books, equipment, mews, etc.

blkdout
02-21-2017, 11:06 AM
There are some falconers on here from Ohio that are still out hawking(season is starting to wrap up for the year for most), hopefully someone will speak up and take you out hunting.

Well, that would be a dream come true!

Buckeye Falconer
02-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Hi Jason!
I'm Joe Dorrian, the Director of the Ohio School of Falconry. While we do teach actual skills used in falconry, I always suggest that people who are serious about getting into the sport join our state club. As their past Apprentice Director (a position I held for 5 years), I can assure you that they will be able to help guide you through the process of beginning your apprenticeship. They actually have the state meet coming up the weekend after next which is always a great way to meet falconers in your area. Feel free to send me a PM and I can help get you connected with them.
Regards,
Joe

raptor38
02-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Go to the state meet if possible that Joe mentioned! This is the best way to meet falconers and it is always the best time. I just got back from a meet in Tennessee and I will be going to Alabama's Thursday.
Good luck!

blkdout
02-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Hi Jason!
I'm Joe Dorrian, the Director of the Ohio School of Falconry. While we do teach actual skills used in falconry, I always suggest that people who are serious about getting into the sport join our state club. As their past Apprentice Director (a position I held for 5 years), I can assure you that they will be able to help guide you through the process of beginning your apprenticeship. They actually have the state meet coming up the weekend after next which is always a great way to meet falconers in your area. Feel free to send me a PM and I can help get you connected with them.
Regards,
Joe
Thank you so much! PM coming your way!

Go to the state meet if possible that Joe mentioned! This is the best way to meet falconers and it is always the best time. I just got back from a meet in Tennessee and I will be going to Alabama's Thursday.
Good luck!
I'm on it! Didn't even know that was a thing to do!

Glad I joined. :) Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction!

blkdout
02-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Feel free to send me a PM and I can help get you connected with them.

Message isn't showing in my sent folder... maybe I'm too new to send PMs?

Buckeye Falconer
02-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Hi Jason!
For some reason, my attempts to send you replies has not worked. Anyways, I fully understand your excitement regarding falconry. All of us had that sheer enthusiasm when we got started. Regarding the club, you can join the club and find out more at www.ohiofalconry.org. Once you join, you'll get full access to the web site (including the membership list) as well as more info on the meet. Please let me know if you have any additional questions that I might be of help with!
Regards,
Joe

blkdout
02-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Hi Jason!
For some reason, my attempts to send you replies has not worked. Anyways, I fully understand your excitement regarding falconry. All of us had that sheer enthusiasm when we got started. Regarding the club, you can join the club and find out more at www.ohiofalconry.org. Once you join, you'll get full access to the web site (including the membership list) as well as more info on the meet. Please let me know if you have any additional questions that I might be of help with!
Regards,
Joe

I have received the messages and replied - It appears the status on the folders doesn't seem to work. Anyway, thanks for reaching out and looking forward to talking further!

I'm signing up for the club today!

blkdout
02-22-2017, 10:16 PM
I signed up for the club and am awaiting administrator approval. :)

A little more about myself (which I do not disclose on other forums) I am 33 years old. I manage a package-trailer repair shop for a very large shipping company. Separately, I own 16 semi-trucks that run daily. For a short while I climbed, maintained and repaired wind turbines in Southern California. Never went to College or Trade School. Was born in a small town in Tennessee and have never lost my love for wildlife.

The past couple years I've been bird watching at my parents' estate and cannot get over the raptors in the area. Bald eagles, turkey vultures, hawks (mainly red-tail), a few different owls and more than enough quarry than I can list. Falconry has always been in the back of my mind when I see those birds... My only regret is not reaching out sooner!

You guys have been so helpful in such a small amount of time. Something I thought impossible. I've received lots of PM's and even a very awesome phone call. I can't thank you all enough.

I've also been reading Breeze's page and all the shared stories of amazing teamwork. Love it!

Breeze
02-24-2017, 11:08 PM
I've also been reading Breeze's page and all the shared stories of amazing teamwork. Love it!

Breeze is my wonderful hunting partner; glad you enjoy his thread. :) For me, personally, teamwork and sharing a partnership out in the woods with my hawk, is the very best part of falconry. Welcome to an amazing sport!

1badmotorscooter
05-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Hawk walks are fine if you think hawks are beautiful creatures and are deserving of others understanding. Falconry is more for the person that is interested in what makes them tick. And that their normal lifestyle is neither cruel nor disgusting in that they have to kill to stay alive. And that nature is fascinating in all it's aspects and that you want to see nature in all it's realities and watch the skill of the raptor on it's daily hunt. Nothing wrong with schools as they play their part in educating the average Joe. Falconry is more for the down and dirty type of person.

Well said!
Being able to get right into the middle of that dynamic IS the appeal of Falconry!! I can't wait till I can get that 1st bird and begin the whole process.