PDA

View Full Version : Many questions and looking forward to getting to know you from CA

Alex bradeis
03-02-2017, 10:39 PM
I want to start with how much I admire those continuing traditions of our ancestors and those reviving them. Nothing is more beautiful but to work with nature rather then destroy it. I want to learn so much more although I have endless questions before I do. One life is not more important than the other and I do not want to take away from the birds quality of life. I currently am working full time on top of taking some classes at school. I want to know how much time is necessary and how others go about incorporating falconry into their daily lives? Has it ever been a problem bringing your falcons eyc to school or inside businesses?

Thank you for taking the time
Alex Bradeis

dboyrollz76
03-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Depends, if you got 2-3 hours of daylight in the morning that's good enough but you got to get up at sunrise to fit your bird in for daily flights or if you got a couple hours in the evening through the short winter months, that works to.
There are probably a few falconers that do well on weekends and what ever time they can scrape up through the week.
It's good to think about how much time you have, but it's better to think about how much dedication and desire you have to work with a bird. If you find a true passion in falconry, you will find and make time.
I get lost in it, I found that once I got started and found the passion! That no matter how hard I tried to work falconry into my life, I always seemed to be working life into my falconry. I've been consumed! Oh well!!!
Please don't take my sickness as advice!crazyy:)

Alex bradeis
03-03-2017, 12:32 AM
I work graveyard and definitely have till 1030 everyday. That's already two hours. I though it would be another full time job connecting with them.
Thank you Derek McCollum
Alex Bradeis

dboyrollz76
03-03-2017, 01:04 AM
It is a everyday thing, you gotta stay on top of your weight control and hunt them. The weight control is a daily thing. Hunting should be to, but a lot of falconers are not privileged with time and work demanding schedules and don't fly birds as much as others only out a few days a week in the field. Daily hunting is great for the birds. If you can dedicate a few days a week that's fine. Especially if they make a kill and get a hefty crop they might not fly for a day or as they will be to high in weight and it will take a day or two to get them down again. To counter this you trade them off with weighed rations, which if done properly will put them on mark the next day. A sponsor will help you get a good understanding of this.
Husbandry on the other hand is everyday. Equipment is inspected, bird is inspected and weighed water pans emptied rinsed and refilled.
That might not seem to bad, but you gotta think this is everyday without wavering. If you get a good sponsor you'll have it licked. That's the biggest thing is a good sponsor. Second is dedication and time you put into your birds. The more time you invest in them the more aquatinted you'll become. It's important to get to know behavior and posture along with normal actions. Changes could indicate something is wrong with health or handling. Again good sponsor. Almost every question your going to have the answers is a good sponsor.
Learn all you can on your own, but don't hesitate to ask questions. Once again good sponsor! There's a lot of great guys and gals here on nafex that will answer your questions. But a sponsor is on hand you should be able to text or call your sponsor any time if you have problems. In an emergency your sponsor will be a phone call away with on the spot advice or answers. Here on nafex, even though everyone it helpful that answer may be to late waiting for a reply.
I hope you get going, because my personal take is it's freaking awesome!
Good luck. And get a good sponsor!

Steve Jones
03-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Derek's advice is spot on. I will just add, make sure you find a good sponsor. ;)