View Full Version : Future Apprentice

GarrisonJe
05-08-2017, 01:44 AM
Greetings, I am a youth from Montana, I hope to begin falconry soon and could really use help from whoever can offer any. Please reply to this. Also my goal is to own and train a Gyrfalcon, but id like to learn more about the bird itself, anyone who would be willing to answer my questions concerning Gyrfalcons please contact me.

Spencer Jessop

Saluqi
05-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Greetings, I am a youth from Montana, I hope to begin falconry soon and could really use help from whoever can offer any. Please reply to this. Also my goal is to own and train a Gyrfalcon, but id like to learn more about the bird itself, anyone who would be willing to answer my questions concerning Gyrfalcons please contact me.

Spencer Jessop

Hi Spencer,

Gyrfalcons are a fantastic goal to set for yourself as a falconer, but before you get to fly one you'll have to fly probably several other species of raptor. I recommend that you start your journey with the Modern Apprentice website, you can find it here: http://www.themodernapprentice.com/ Since you're young you should take advantage of the time you have available to fly as many species as possible that are suitable for the country and quarry where you live. Also, if you use the search feature on NAFEX you'll find many threads on gyrfalcons to read and learn from, good luck!!

wphillipsoutside
05-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Spenser,

Good luck on your journey! Be sure to join falconry organizations, too!

William Phillips

Ally
05-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Hi Spencer! Depending on where you're at in MT there are many falconers here that fly gyrs and gyr hybrids as well! Like Paul mentioned, that's a fantastic future goal and very reachable in this state.

The other thing you should definitely do if you haven't already is to contact MT Fish, Wildlife, and Parks and request the falconry information packet. It's outside of hunting season now, but this is a great time to get in contact with falconers close to you and talk to them in person, and start arranging outings this upcoming season to get out and hunt, beat brush, and get an idea of what it's all about.

Good luck!