PDA

View Full Version : NAFEX is back online!- Questions answered- bug report

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 12:20 PM
First, I want to say thank you for all of those who have emailed me and/or called me to make sure all was ok with me. Your support means so much to me. I never knew how many friends I actually had ;). Thank you again for your kind words and support.

Second, So here is the story, NAFEX was hacked and when I mean hacked it was hacked like the Russian's were in on it. ( sorry no more political jokes). The hack was done on the database which I have zero control over. It was on the server side. At the same time the hack happened the server decided it was no longer going to be in business. So not only was I screwed I was literally so screwed. To make a long story short it has taken this long and countless hours and money to get the site back up and running. I could have just said screw it and started fresh but there was too much information contained on the old forum to throw my hands up, and believe me I wanted to so many times. I kept running into road block after road block. This has been the most frustrating process and lessons learned for me. I just don't understand why people are so evil and want to do this kind of things?

What does this all mean? NAFEX information has been saved and is all here, I couldn't be happier. It also means she has gotten a face lift. I will be adding more items and functions as time goes on. So please be patient with me and continue to work with me on getting NAFEX back to where it was. The new software will be quicker and will help so this doesn't happen again. I also have a better hosting company that will make sure all of this information is now protected with daily backups.

Please post in this thread if you see any bugs or problems. If the forum is down it means I am adding more items. Please don't get frustrated, I am a one man operation and I can't even believe the content is still here. Just be patient and it will get done.

Thanks again for everyones support.

Happy hawking,

Chris

JRedig
08-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Awesome work buddy, thank you.

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 05:07 PM
so good to see it working man.. let me know how it works for you. I will be adding more mod stuff as well

Ducksanddogs
08-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the hard work, Chris! Glad it's back up!

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 05:23 PM
my pleasure man!

let me know if your avatar isn't working

Pyro01
08-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Glad to see this awesome resource back up, it's made me look harder at my own sites I'm a web admin of. Cheers and may the molt discussions continue!

mcogar88
08-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Awesome, thank you so much. You never realize how much of a good thing you have till it's gone.

stevec
08-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Thank you Chris sooooo much! So many have learned the value of your forum and what a void the absence brings. Welcome back....

forestfalcon
08-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Not a bug report, but thanks for all of your hard work. I'm definitely happy that it's back up!

*Edit* is there a way to see recent posts like the old page's home page? Or is it necessary to click "new posts" every time?

Lowachi
08-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Yeah!!!! Glad to see all your efforts came together brutha! Congrats

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Thank you all for being patient with me. I wish it was just a flip of a switch to get it back on. She was a mess for sure.

Thank you Jenni and Ken for helping to answer some of the questions on Facebook. I don't do that Facebook thang so I was out of the loop...

I think its all here and saved. Keep me posted as you all click around

xjturnerx
08-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Awesome Chris not having nafex made being bored a lot more boring. One question though. Do we still have to go outside the forum to post pictures

skooky20
08-09-2017, 07:04 PM
With a tear of happiness running down my cheek, I am glad nafex is up and running again

forestfalcon
08-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Awesome Chris not having nafex made being bored a lot more boring. One question though. Do we still have to go outside the forum to post pictures

This button will facilitate a pic from your computer/device. My favorite thing of the update so far :D

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 07:13 PM

No that should have been fixed too. I think you can even upload from your phone now.. give it a try and let me know

With a tear of happiness running down my cheek, I am glad nafex is up and running again

Thank you!!!

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Thanks Jenni!!!

forestfalcon
08-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Thanks Jenni!!!

My pleasure. So much easier to post pics now!

Ducksanddogs
08-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Once you select the photo from the phone, what's next? The URL tab has "OK" and "Cancel." The computer tab didn't have an option to finish the process...

broken feather
08-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Chris, Thanks for all the work !!!!!!!!!!!!!

forestfalcon
08-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Once you select the photo from the phone, what's next? The URL tab has "OK" and "Cancel." The computer tab didn't have an option to finish the process...

This "upload file" is a clickable 'button'

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Chris, Thanks for all the work !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My pleasure.. thank you for the post!

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Looks like the double click for the edit is now gone too

Lowachi
08-09-2017, 07:37 PM
looks good buddy

Ducksanddogs
08-09-2017, 07:38 PM
This "upload file" is a clickable 'button'

Thanks!

GONEHAWKN
08-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the hard work Chris, and welcome back NAFEX!

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the hard work Chris, and welcome back NAFEX!

Thanks so much Bill... its good to see some familiar faces.. Missed all of you guys

elycreek
08-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Oh Happy Day!

hawkingchic
08-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all your hard work getting this back up and running!!!

Falconer54
08-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Thanks so much Chris, especially for saving all the info! One day I would like to write an article about these wild taken Anatums, especially my 2012 hacked bird. so many stories on here, only place I have record of their flights in writing. I really appreciate everything you have done!!!

Red-tail71
08-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Thanks Chris, I appreciate all your hard work!

FredFogg
08-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Awesome Chris!!

Where’s the Home Page? LOL

Chris L.
08-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Thank you guys so much for taking the time to post. It really has made the nightmare worth it all.

Fred its at www.nafex.net (http://www.nafex.net)

I will adjust links and such as I have time. I wanted to get her fired up and will fix the small issues later

Dieselboy
08-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Just in time for hawking season good job chris

Tasha55403
08-09-2017, 11:23 PM
Chris...you are amazing :) Facebook is great for posting something you really don't care about, and getting a quick response, but NAFEX is where you can go to find real information in all the archives, along with all the real time people. Thank you for putting so much into this!

Breeze
08-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Thank you, Chris! I'm so thrilled to see NAFEX back up again! All of your hard work is VERY appreciated!

yosemity71
08-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Thanks Chris for your hard work & dedication in getting NAFEX back up & running!

Nimure
08-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Thanks so much for all your hard work Chris! We all really missed this place.

The only issue I'm having is I am only getting the option for a URL photo upload. Not the option to upload from a computer/device.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/kechara19/aa_zpszhhxvjer.jpg

Chris L.
08-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to post. I really appreciate your feedback and support. It really does make it worth it all

this should never happen again so please post and keep NAFEX the great resource it has become. Without your contributions it is worthless.

Breeze
08-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Speaking of contributions, Chris. Where is the link to donate to help support this website? Would like to help out!

Saluqi
08-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks Chris! Your efforts are hugely appreciated!

xjturnerx
08-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Just tried to upload from the phone. While it would let me select a picture and click upload file. Nothing happened when I clicked it.

forestfalcon
08-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Just tried to upload from the phone. While it would let me select a picture and click upload file. Nothing happened when I clicked it.

It happens to me too. I've had to click it a few times to work.

Lloyd
08-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Thank you, Chris! I can't imagine the amount of work it took to salvage the site after the database was hit like that... You reached into the fire and plucked it back out!

Thanks!
-Lloyd

Paul Mascuch
08-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Chris - Thank you for all the work you put into getting NAFEX back up. I really missed this site and checked my computer each day to see if it was back. When I checked yesterday lo and behold it was back on line. Made my day.

Thanks again.

Paul

dboyrollz76
08-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Thank You Chris. This has made me realize just how much I love nafex. Glad the jones is over. Thank you again.

Oldhag
08-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Thank you, Chris! Great job!

Hawkmom
08-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Glad to see NAFEX back online. Good work Chris.

wyodjm
08-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Thanks Chris for all of your hard work and efforts. I appreciate it.

All my best,

Dan

kitana
08-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Awesome work Chris, and thank you so much!

NAFEX IS a goldmine of information. And as bad things happen, I finally got my baby goshawk to imprint at the exact same time NAFEX went down... So no way to get in touch with anyone, no way to read back on old threads, I thouht I was screwed... So you have no idea how glad I am that you managed to get NAFEX back up and running!

Eric S
08-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Chris: Thanks so much for all your hard work in getting the site back online. I really missed it

Eric Sica

latham
08-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Chris, A huge thank you. Like many others I checked daily to see if you were back up. We can only imagine the frustration and work to restore and upgrade the site! Let's start talking about the NAFA meet where we will celebrate your efforts! All the best, Bob

SageGrouse
08-10-2017, 08:07 PM
x2 on Breeze's comment, how do we contribute now

LarkoftheRiver
08-10-2017, 08:51 PM
Wonderful work! Thank you so much for keeping with it!
The new site looks amazing, by the way.

Chris L.
08-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Thank you all so much for the continued support and kind words. You have no idea how much it means to me to read these posts, it really makes all of the work I did worth it all. I about said, "the hell with it" and let NAFEX die it's slow death... I am so happy I didn't. I had no idea how many people relied on this site and how many enjoyed it. As time went on I kind of think that maybe it was tapped out but I am seeing that the community really does enjoy it. Again, thank you for letting me know its value to you all.

I think the site needed a facelift with better functions. It was a great way to kick the new NAFEX off. It seems to be working great with zero problems. I too like the new look. Its much cleaner and easier to navigate.

The best way for you all to contribute is to keep the content fresh and fun. NAFEX is nothing without you all. We have to keep adding more and more to the database. I have it all protected now and way more secure. Huge lessons learned for me.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you all at NAFA this year. Lets for sure have a cold beer or 3.

bdyelm
08-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Were the hackers specifically targeting nafex, or were there other websites that got shut down since it was on the server side?

FredFogg
08-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Hey Chris, can you add Home to the top of the page where the What's New, Forum and New Post tabs are? The only way I can get to Home is to go to www.nafex.net (http://www.nafex.net) without anything after it. Kind of frustrating. LOL

piscivoris
08-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Very good to see the board up, and running.
Thank you for your time, trouble, and no doubt aggravation to reanimate.

runnergirl
08-12-2017, 07:24 PM
I am so grateful for your hard work in getting NAFEX back up again. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

JD Parker
08-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Thanks Chris for your hard work and dedication. Wonderful to have NAFEX back!

Heero
08-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Well this is a surprise.

Thanks for getting it back up.

Mike

COMEAUX
08-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Yeah,all you people are so grateful to Chris and his HARD work to get NAFEX back up and running,but I notice that there are way more people online right now that HAVE NOT made a donation to the site, so if you are so freaking happy that it is back and up so YOU can communicate with other falconers, then show it by making a small donation to the site.Chris would NEVER ask and say that it is OK,but IT IS HARD WORK!!!!
beeer

Mike Craig
08-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Hi Chris,
We all appreciate what you have done for the falconry community-glad all is well with you
take care
Mike Craig

wyodjm
08-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Yeah,all you people are so grateful to Chris and his HARD work to get NAFEX back up and running,but I notice that there are way more people online right now that HAVE NOT made a donation to the site, so if you are so freaking happy that it is back and up so YOU can communicate with other falconers, then show it by making a small donation to the site.Chris would NEVER ask and say that it is OK,but IT IS HARD WORK!!!!
beeer

I agree! I encourage everyone who is grateful NAFEX is back up and running to make a small donation to support the forum's operation.

I find it is especially interesting that people who aren't supporting members have no problem selling stuff on NAFEX!

All my best,

wesleyc6
08-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Glad to see you are OK! Thanks for the hard work on the cyber front! I don't post nearly as often as I did in the early days, but there is SO much info on here. I believe it is truly the best SINGLE place for falconry information in any medium. Happy hawking!

runnergirl
08-14-2017, 01:45 PM
beeer

I would greatly appreciate the info on HOW to donate. I spent about 30 minutes Saturday searching around trying to find out how to become a "supporting member" but had no luck. Assistance in this endeavor much appreciated.

forestfalcon
08-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Hey runnergirl,

Please remember that all posts must be signed by the member's first name. An easy way to do so is to go into your user CP and modify your signature to contain your first name.

Thank you!

runnergirl
08-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks, I missed that! Can you tell me how to become a supporting member? I can't find how to donate.

-Sherry

skeetachya
08-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks, I missed that! Can you tell me how to become a supporting member? I can't find how to donate.

-Sherry

Ditto, looking for this as well

Chris L.
08-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Hi Adam

i need to work on the portal and the mod to make it happen. I will be tweeting nafex a little here and there as the time goes on.

I will uodate when I make it avaiable

thsnk you

Chris

GreenHawk
08-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Chris,
I'm pretty sure I still have where I donated in my PayPal, can I use that same account to donate to without using the link on here?

cvarcher
08-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Great Job Chris,thankyou.

oobie
08-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Thank you for your time and effort!

FredFogg
08-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Seeing some spam post but don't see where to click on the post to report them? Am I missing it?

Also don't see that familiar link at the top to the Forum rules. Seeing some new folks not signing their post and don't want to say anything since I can't find the rules myself. LOL

forestfalcon
08-17-2017, 01:16 PM
I've been furiously deleting them as fast as I can. I've deleted about 40 since yesterday alone.

Chris L.
08-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Seeing some spam post but don't see where to click on the post to report them? Am I missing it?

Also don't see that familiar link at the top to the Forum rules. Seeing some new folks not signing their post and don't want to say anything since I can't find the rules myself. LOL

yeah more stuff I need to add. Just trying to work out the kinks of the basic functions.

I am adding spam stuff today and will add a rules link soon. I need to check into the "report" system. I hadn't noticed it wasn't there.

Thank you again for the kind words about getting the forum back online. I should have the kinks ironed out soon

Chris L.
08-17-2017, 01:38 PM
I enable the post reporting. You can now report posts in the lower left corner of the post using the caution sign

FredFogg
08-17-2017, 05:23 PM
You da man Chris! Again, thanks for all you do! Looking forward to sitting down and having a brewsky with you again soon.

Chris L.
08-17-2017, 05:38 PM
You da man Chris! Again, thanks for all you do! Looking forward to sitting down and having a brewsky with you again soon.

hey brother it my pleasure. I always appreciate your help on here. Thank you. If you see more let me know.

And hell yes a beer and whatever you keep in that flask peacee I am really looking forward to it

sharptail
08-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Awesome Chris, thank you so much! NAFEX is an invaluable resource and sorely missed. We didn't know what we had until it was gone.

Sader762
08-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Is there a way to become a supporting member. I'd like to throw a little money toward the site to help keep it running.

Tasha55403
08-22-2017, 12:24 PM
I was on the IFF this morning and saw a post regarding a NAFEX bug, lol. 5772

Ross
08-22-2017, 10:25 PM
I just checked and found NAFEX is back. Thanks Chris for all your work in getting it up and running

Mitch W
08-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Chris, I too would like to thank you for all your hard work getting the site back up and going. I very much enjoy reading about everyone's adventures. Hopefully all had a good moult and are ready for some action. I am still a month or so out with my bird but can't wait to get started!

hcmcelroy
08-24-2017, 10:39 AM
I was on the IFF this morning and saw a post regarding a NAFEX bug, lol. 5772
Chris,

Good to see NAFEX back. A wonderful site.

Harry.

Chris L.
08-31-2017, 05:04 PM
Hey all thank you for the continued support and kind words. After working so hard for the past months on it I took some time off. I just got back on today and saw these email/registration issues

I will have an update soon on what is going on and the fix

Chris L.
09-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Email function is now fixed. Members should be able to reset their passwords now and get notifications. Let me know if you have any issues

thanks

chris

Beaner
09-03-2017, 03:51 AM
Thanks very much for all your hard work.

Chris L.
09-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Thanks very much for all your hard work.
It's my pleasure. I'm hoping all bugs are worked out now. Let me know

have a great weekend

sevristh
09-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Hey Chris, I have been noticing that I don't seem to be getting new post notifications on threads I've subscribed to. No email is being sent. Have checked spam. Thanks!!

Chris L.
09-27-2017, 06:06 PM
Hey Chris, I have been noticing that I don't seem to be getting new post notifications on threads I've subscribed to. No email is being sent. Have checked spam. Thanks!!

this should have been fixed. Let me know if you are still having issues

thanks

chris

sevristh
09-27-2017, 06:30 PM
It has been fixed. Thanks Chris!

FredFogg
10-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Hey Chris, any chance we can get the My Replies available again. Before, you could click on it and it would show you all threads that you had posted on. It was an easy way for me to keep up on threads that I had read and responded. Now, I can't remember what thread I read yesterday, let alone responded to. LOL See you in Kearney!!!!!!

Flight
10-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Hey Fred, that function would be a good one click solution. You may already know, but In the meantime you can click "my profile" up at the top right, above the nafex banner, and then on your profile page click "find latest posts" on the left side and it will show you all your posts and the thread they're in. Basically serving the same function.

FredFogg
10-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Hey Fred, that function would be a good one click solution. You may already know, but In the meantime you can click "my profile" up at the top right, above the nafex banner, and then on your profile page click "find latest posts" on the left side and it will show you all your posts and the thread they're in. Basically serving the same function.

Not quite the same thing Mark but similar. The old My Replies would list just the threads you had posted in and the ones that had been updated since you last looked would be in bold. It didn't show each post you made in each thread, just listed all the threads. If that makes sense.

MidgardFalconry
01-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Hey everyone.

Just wondering if the "edit" button was resolved? made an error in one of my posts and I'd like it removedconfusedd

sevristh
01-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Try hitting it twice....used to work that way. Also, please sign your posts with your real name..one of the few site rules...

MidgardFalconry
01-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Try hitting it twice....used to work that way. Also, please sign your posts with your real name..one of the few site rules...

Button isn't even there on the post, but it's okay I guess, and thanks yeah I just put my sig up!

sevristh
01-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Huh....that's odd. The button is there on my post above and works first click. Let Chris or one of the Mods know I guess.