PDA

View Full Version : Peregrine in South Georgia

jdrmd
08-17-2017, 05:30 PM
I saw an adult Peregrine in south Georgia this morning which is quite unusual for this area, at least in my experience. Didn't see any equipment but thought it might be a missing falconry bird. If you have lost or know someone who has lost a peregrine, let me know how I can help.

Thanks

Saluqi
08-17-2017, 06:40 PM
That's great John, but you know it doesn't surprise me. There are peregrines everywhere, that adult could have come down out of the mountains after breeding this summer, or come off a bridge, church, or high-rise somewhere not too far from where you saw it. It's a testimony to how successful their recovery has been.

jdrmd
08-17-2017, 06:48 PM
It's a testimony to how successful their recovery has been.

Paul,
That was my first thought and I hope we start seeing more of them down here. It was pretty cool to see...the bird was sitting on a small dirt road next to a puddle and flew off and landed in a tree about 50 yards away as I drove up.

Captain Gizmo
08-17-2017, 07:59 PM
In the west Phoenix farm country we see quite a few haggard Peregrines in the early fall just after the family groups break up. They are here for about two weeks then move on, except for one or two that winter out here in the farm flats. Where the young of the year go during these two weeks remains a bit of a mystery, as does the wintering ground for the other dozen haggards that move on.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert Alfalfa Fields