PDA

View Full Version : Slowly......

rkumetz
09-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Is it my imagination or is NAFEX operating a lot slower than it used to? When I click a link to a thread it is slow. When I
click "REPLY" it takes WAY longer than I ever remember it taking to get where it is going. The other day I went and got
a cup of coffee and when I got back it still hadn't gotten to the reply box.

Not that I am complaining. It is nice to have NAFEX back!

Breeze
09-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Wow! That is slow, Ron! No problems here.

Tyme2fly
09-18-2017, 03:17 PM
It's you. mine is fast.

dboyrollz76
09-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Mines fine

Cuz
09-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Virus check is in order.

forestfalcon
09-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Mine is definitely faster than before

rkumetz
09-18-2017, 04:05 PM
This computer is locked down tighter than a drum. It is scanned every night while I sleep.

First checked my DSL speed and that is ok.

Then I checked other generic web sites (Amazon, etc) and those are fine too.

I then tried Archery Talk which uses the same software as NAFEX (though an older version) and it too is fine.

I am a bit perplexed. At this point I am wondering if my security software is seeing something coming from the NAFEX server that it doesn't like.

rkumetz
09-18-2017, 04:11 PM
I have noticed that if I switch it into "mobile" mode it works better though viewing it on my normal browser is a bit odd.

Flight
09-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Seems that there is no abnormal delay on my end.

rkumetz
09-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Seems that there is no abnormal delay on my end.
The new version of the software does not like the version of the Firefox browser on the computer I use most which runs XP.

A newer version on a Win7 machine runs fine. Unfortunate since I hate OS's that isolate me from what is going on like Win7 and higher, Android, IOS, etc. Guess my next step is Linux.

TroyJMoody
09-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Mine is ALOT faster than before and although the whole layout was a little different at first I find the change very pleasing and easy to navigate.

FredFogg
09-19-2017, 10:04 AM
I agree with you Ron! I do believe it has something to do with installed virus protection. On my computer at work, if I click on the Reply to Thread, it never opens a window for me to reply. I have to always use the Quick Reply box to post something. Again, I am sure it is our work anti virus stuff. I can't view any photo's inside a thread as they are blocked. To be honest, I am surprised I can even view the website here. I haven't check NAFEX from my home computer since it came back up as I always use my phone so not sure what it is doing at home.

Also, one thing I sure do miss from the old NAFEX is the My Replies button. You could click on it and see all the threads you had replied to and the ones with new post since the last time you looked at them would show up highlighted. Really miss it!

dboyrollz76
09-19-2017, 02:53 PM
May be to much data not enough ram memory. Some of your stuff running in the background my be bottle necking your system. A lot of anti virus programs that are designed for newer computers that are installed on old computers, have way to much data being processed and it slows it way down while it's running tasks. You can try setting it on manual and only running updates when you want. Or there may be other open apps running in the background that are slowing it down.
Try resetting the network settings and closing out any apps that your not using or are running background tasks.

awleaphart
09-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Same thing happens here at work also Fred. I can only relpy with the Quick Reply. Maybe windows 10 has something to do with it?

Thanks
A Leaphart

rkumetz
09-19-2017, 03:57 PM
May be to much data not enough ram memory. Some of your stuff running in the background my be bottle necking your system. A lot of anti virus programs that are designed for newer computers that are installed on old computers, have way to much data being processed and it slows it way down while it's running tasks. You can try setting it on manual and only running updates when you want. Or there may be other open apps running in the background that are slowing it down. Try resetting the network settings and closing out any apps that your not using or are running background tasks.

I monitor processes and make sure nothing is running that I don't want running. As you probably already noticed I am a bit of a computer control freak and don't like
an OS or programs that are doing things I don't have control over. I rarely have any programs running minimized so my RAM usage is typically no higher than 40% and my CPU load is loafing looking for something to do.

The version of Firefox running on this machine is the last one that supports XP while the one on my Win7 laptop is more recent. I suspect that there is some cool new
"content delivery" method like super duper cosmic PHP or something which is not well supported by the older browser. This is supported by the fact that another forum running the same software as NAFEX but an older version runs fine on this machine. I opened a dozen threads on that forum and was manipulating different threads without a hitch.

rkumetz
09-19-2017, 03:59 PM
I noticed that if I use Reply or Reply with Quote that I have to right click and use open in another tab otherwise nothing happens.

FredFogg
09-19-2017, 04:05 PM
I noticed that if I use Reply or Reply with Quote that I have to right click and use open in another tab otherwise nothing happens.

The Reply and Reply With Quote automatically put you in the Quick Reply box Ron. Click on the Reply With Quote and you will see the Quote appear in the Quick Reply box.

Chris L.
09-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Mine is way faster than old server

fred I will work on that for you