PDA

View Full Version : The Juggernaut

chris kimble
06-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I wanted to take this chance to introduce my new gos. This is Juggernaut, a NA male from our very own Barry Ollette! He arrived yesterday and is doing very well. More updates to come, but pics will have to do for now!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/SS850313.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/SS850309.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/SS850314.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/SS850319.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/SS850323.jpg

kimmerar
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
clappCongrats Chris. What a beautiful downy pic.

Boy this is going to be an exciting place for accipiter in training and catching game in the near future. Can't wait.

Thanks for filling us in. I would love to meet up with you two this fall and check him out when I come to OK for the holidays.

Barry - how many people on this board are getting a bird from you? If that's ok to ask?? If not sorry. Just let's us know how many great threads were are going to have going soon.

everetkhorton
06-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Chris:
Great Looking Goshawk. May I ask where you got those feeders? They look like they will work very well. Keep us want-a-bee's posted.

Bryant Tarr
06-12-2008, 01:23 PM
SWEET! Now you are living right :D. Looking forward to your adventures!

chris kimble
06-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, I have gone over to the dark side! Im not afraid to admit that Im as giddy as a school girl about having him, but Im scared on the inside too;)

Heres the scoop so far. I started moving into a new place in town this week. But currently the water in town has something wrong with it (I've heard different stories) and the entire town has been asked not to even wash our hands with city water until we are given the OK. So Im driving out to my parents place every night where I can safely shower (and wash my hands LOL). I cant believe how much bottled water costs! And since its a ten mile drive, I've been crashing there at night, then driving back in the morning before work. Anyway my roomate is still moving in slowly as well. So theres plenty of commotion going on! Another benefit is that he has two patterdales in the house! He also recently passed his falconry exam and is planning to build his mews soon....should be a fun house come fall!

Back to the bird, he is settling in well, and is already quite a ham! He is very active and wont stay in his tub, thats why I put all those towels in the
corner of his "big tank". We brought walts big doberman in last night and the bird never even blinked an eye! If we can keep it up he should be rock solid.

Ev, that feeder came from Petsmart for $20...they tried to charge me $43 dollars for it until I told them it better have 23 bucks inside. I was up at 4:30 this morning so I could prep his food for the day and he was eating out of it as soon as he saw the food.

Im hating work right now as you can imagine, Im ready to get home!

He preens a lot!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/SS850316.jpg

wesleyc6
06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Nice looking bird Chris! Congrats. I guess we will just have to hunt together at some point finally after years of chatting on the net. We aren't TOO far apart now.

Kenn Filkins
06-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Chris,

Looks like you are in for a great deal of fun! Enjoy him!

Ted Bell
06-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Great pics - I'm jealous.

But I have to laugh at the fact that you live in a town called "Hydro" that doesn't seem to have any water...confusedd

Saluqi
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow! Congratulations! I can't believe how many folks are working with imprints this year. It'll be fun to watch the trials and tribulations are these babies grow up.

laj
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Your Gos and imprint tank looks great! Looking forward to your update.

chris kimble
06-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks everyone!
Yeah Wes we need to get together sometime...you know the OFA meet will be in Texoma again this year up in the panhandle!

Ted, the irony is even more obvious here;) But I was just told, that it was all good now.... in fact it seems there was never anything actually wrong with the water at all, and it was purely a preventative measure! Alls well that ends well right?

Jugger got introduced to the Patts today, he took to them well but they need some time to get use to him! The techs finally got out here to get our internet up and running and they spent more time admiring the bird than anything lol. They let me set him in the floor near them so he could watch all the goings on.

Gotta run, til next time.

Chris

GyrXPeals
06-13-2008, 06:14 PM
WoooHooo! I didn't know you were getting one from Barry, good choice Chris. Glad you found the feeder.
Between you and Rob and Mitch there won't be much game left west of I-35;). I'm lookin forward to your progress.
ATB,
Jeff

oscarpack@yahoo.com
06-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Very cool Chris! Looks like you found the Petsmart ok. How long of a timer is on the feeder? And are you seeing any jacks in your area?
Oscar

GyrXPeals
06-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Very cool Chris! Looks like you found the Petsmart ok. How long of a timer is on the feeder? And are you seeing any jacks in your area?
Oscar

Oscar, how the heck are ya buddy. Glad you found this place, it's starting to look like Okiehawkers around here.;)
You found any jacks for that new bird of yours? Great to see you here Oscar, BTW some photos of the new bird would be really nice if you get the chance.
Best regards as always,
Jeff Byrum

tacatanach
06-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Oscar, how the heck are ya buddy. Glad you found this place, it's starting to look like Okiehawkers around here.;)
You found any jacks for that new bird of yours? Great to see you here Oscar, BTW some photos of the new bird would be really nice if you get the chance.
Best regards as always,
Jeff Byrum

Yeah this seems to be becoming the Okiehawkers forum, NAFEX really should start being more selective about who they let in.

Welcome to the forum Oscar.

Chris, your gos is lookng nice, hopefully get to see him at the fall meet.

chris kimble
06-14-2008, 12:47 PM
OSCAR! Glad you found us. Yeah I found the Petsmart just fine, made good time too;) I actually drove right past your work but I wanted to get out of that traffic and get the little guy home. The feeder timer can be set from 2-48 hours and works like a charm. I do wish it would stop when it hits zero but it just keeps going!

I have seen several Jacks lately. But to be honest with you I pay little notice to them these days. We should make a run over to Sayer and pick David up on our way.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll try to get more pics up tomorrow. Jugger's got more friends than I do now....never had so many people come by the houseconfusedd

oscarpack@yahoo.com
06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Best regards as always,
Jeff Byrum

Thanks Jeff, good to see you at the picnic. I have been tied up close to home lately, meaning I haven't got to the good jack areas. But I have had one slip, accidently on top of that. I was setting up my lure drag by hiding it in the grass, with a long line leading away from it. I walk around for a while in a mock hunting pattern, then pull the lure out and he is all over it. Well on this one day a jack flushed, he was off in an instant, it ran into the uncut wheat, with the eagle over the top of him quickly he ran back into the open, then there was a quick wingover and I thought he had it but it ran off. But for his first one, he was very aggressive.
Thanks for the welcome,
Oscar

oscarpack@yahoo.com
06-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah this seems to be becoming the Okiehawkers forum, NAFEX really should start being more selective about who they let in.

Welcome to the forum Oscar.

Chris, your gos is lookng nice, hopefully get to see him at the fall meet.

Well I didn't tell anyone I was an Okie, just slipped in quietly.
Thanks Therese
Oscar

oscarpack@yahoo.com
06-14-2008, 11:29 PM
OSCAR! Glad you found us. Yeah I found the Petsmart just fine, made good time too;) I actually drove right past your work but I wanted to get out of that traffic and get the little guy home. The feeder timer can be set from 2-48 hours and works like a charm. I do wish it would stop when it hits zero but it just keeps going!

I have seen several Jacks lately. But to be honest with you I pay little notice to them these days. We should make a run over to Sayer and pick David up on our way.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll try to get more pics up tomorrow. Jugger's got more friends than I do now....never had so many people come by the houseconfusedd

Your gos looks great!!! I bet you will do wonders with it. I went out to Sayre once, saw a few jacks, but not when I was out hunting. But I did make my first free flight out there.
I would love to go again.
Oscar

chris kimble
06-17-2008, 04:04 AM
Well, I got some new pics of the little sprout but Im lacking a camera cable.....gonna have to go get a new one at wal-mart I guess. Anyway, he's standing a lot more and is starting to "do more" while standing, he's still really clumsy! He ate while standing today and he showed his mini tennis ball who was boss!

I was taking pics of him yesterday, for the 100th time! and he suddenly decided the camera was something to be feared....gave me a scare really the way he reacted to it, and Im not sure what he was thinking. I backed off and was able to lay it next to him later while I was playing with him, he nibbled on it and I left it for a while only to come back later and find him sleeping with his head laying on it! He has shown no concern about it since....

On a side note, I thought I'd share a rather humbling moment I had last week while preparing for the new bird. This might help others prevent a moment of stupidity like the one I had! While building Juggernauts rather expensive and large imprint tank (apparently acrylic is made of diamonds or something), I decided I might as well make it big. So I gathered the supplies and started building it at my brothers work shop (I love having a brother in the construction business!). Once it was done, I loaded it in the back of the truck and got a couple friends to help me move it into the living room....but we soon realized it would not fit through the door:eek:frus I felt a fool as I sat on my front porch disassembling my many hours of work, only to move it a few feet and rebuild it again! Sometimes simpler is better, and slightly smaller might be better too!

Oscar, I'd like to head out west this weekend to see ol' dave, if he's gonna be around, and if I have the time....If your off work and want to go, let me know? It would be a fun trip! Still waiting for you to post some pics for us to oogle over!

chris kimble
06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Just got back from Wally world, here are the pics.

I dont know why I was compelled to cover him up like this, but I thought it was a neat pic!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0630.jpg

More lounging
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0636.jpg

His favorite toy!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0637.jpg

One of his new hobbies....flapping.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0638.jpg

I came in this morning and he immediatly started playing with his ball, didnt even eat or anything.....by the time I got the camera he was taking a break to preen!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0640.jpg

goshawks00
06-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Chris got your e/m but inadverently deleted it. I will try and remembr what you ask ...
Your bird hatched 5/23...
It is out of a male called Apache who was out of my old Apache female Gi Gi (wild taken)and a male called Jack ( from Belle and Dillon-both wild taken from Wisc).
The female is called Grace who was my first female goshawk produced ( she was out of Belle and Ralph -both wild taken from Wisc.)

Wes's gos is out of Jack (see above) and a female called Hope. Hope is out of Grace( see above) and Jack (see above).

I have flown three generations of parents Belle/Grace/ Hope/Gi Gi x Ralph/Dillon/Jack/Apache through the years and can tell you they have been great game hawks.

Glad to see he, along with (dog) Wes 's charge are doing good. To the rest of you I have one male left that is a younger clutch mate to Chris's bird... he's for sale.. and if not sold I'll fly him....
barry

chris kimble
06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
More pics from today....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0644.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0649.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0651.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0652.jpg

chris kimble
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I've been lazy with my updates lately, but we've been making some system changes at work and it seems I can no longer post on forums there! I can read them and write a post, but cant send it.

Anyway, J is doing well. He killed his first baggie today (quail) and is still as quiet as a church mouse. My biggest struggle with him so far is his attitude while outdoors. When I first got him, I took him here and there but I always seemed to be going straight from the truck to another indoor environment. Until last week when we finally had a nice morning to get out and "play" in the yard. He was pretty wigged out with the outdoors that first time, but is slowly getting better. He is outside for about an hour every morning that Im physically able to take him out, and today he finally ran around a little and played with things, but if he ever got very far away he would run back and lay down beside me or the dog! Im hoping he ventures more tomorrow morning. He really likes the snake shed and gets into everything when we go out there!

I picked up one of those little Jack Russels from a local kennel over the weekend. He's super hyper outside but fairly layed back in the house. J has taken to him very well, and is always trying to lay down beside him which always makes the dog move, which in turn makes J want to chase him! I took a pic of them today on the couch while I was eating dinner and watching a little TV.

more to follow!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chriskimble/000_0675.jpg

YARAK191
06-25-2008, 01:45 PM
PLEASE BE CARFUL WITH THAT DOG(JACK RUSSEL) THEY CAN CHANGE ATTITUDES REAL FAST AND START THE KILLING SPREE.
I HAVE HAD MANY JACKS AND THEY HAVE HAIR TRIGGERS.spiderr MINE JUST DECIDED HE WANTED TO CHEW ON THE POTBELLIE THE OTHER DAY FOR FUN. IM AN ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER AND APPRECIATE YOU GETTING HIM FROM A SHELTER BUT DONT GIVE THAT DOG 1 SECOND ALONE WITH THAT GOS. GOOD LUCK BOTH ARE BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS.

wesleyc6
06-25-2008, 02:18 PM
I've been lazy with my updates lately, but we've been making some system changes at work and it seems I can no longer post on forums there! I can read them and write a post, but cant send it.

Anyway, J is doing well. He killed his first baggie today (quail) and is still as quiet as a church mouse. My biggest struggle with him so far is his attitude while outdoors. When I first got him, I took him here and there but I always seemed to be going straight from the truck to another indoor environment. Until last week when we finally had a nice morning to get out and "play" in the yard. He was pretty wigged out with the outdoors that first time, but is slowly getting better. He is outside for about an hour every morning that Im physically able to take him out, and today he finally ran around a little and played with things, but if he ever got very far away he would run back and lay down beside me or the dog! Im hoping he ventures more tomorrow morning. He really likes the snake shed and gets into everything when we go out there!

I picked up one of those little Jack Russels from a local kennel over the weekend. He's super hyper outside but fairly layed back in the house. J has taken to him very well, and is always trying to lay down beside him which always makes the dog move, which in turn makes J want to chase him! I took a pic of them today on the couch while I was eating dinner and watching a little TV.

more to follow!

Sounds like progress. Congrats on the pup too!!! Would you post a new thread in the Dog section with some good pics of him. He looks like a pretty pup and would like to see a little more of him.

RTJim
06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Great job!!! Hoe do you like the feeder?.........jm

PetSafe 2-Meal Auto Feeder By Radio Systems

http://pet.imageg.net/images/prodTab_hdr_ProductFeatures.gif

Feed your pet when you are not home! This unit can be set to feed your pet up to two fresh meals in a 48 hour period. Two compartments each have their own timer with a pop-up lid that opens when it's feeding time. Each tray holds 1 dishwasher safe bowl. Requires one "AA" battery (not included). Includes a manufacturer's lifetime warranty.
Features:

2 feeding trays
Portion size 1 ½ cups
Timer allows you to set each meal any time up to 48 hours away
Timers must be set in one hour increments
Dishwasher-safe food trays
Uses one (1) AA battery (not included)
Can use wet or dry food
Battery lasts up to 12 months
Lifetime Limited Warranty

chris kimble
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Yarak,
He's not from a shelter, he is from a kennel that specializes in Jacks. I payed a great deal for both him and my bird so Im more than careful with them both.

But seriously, is it worth a whole post worth of caps lock? frus (pet peeve)After all, if they arent socialized they wont be much good to each other. I realize there are some inherent dangers, but compared to things like hacking or carhawking I'd say raising a pup and a gos in the same house is fairly safe so long as some common sense is used.

Wes,
I'll try to get some pics of him too. He's not the Parson's variety, he's the shorter kind. He's very small, and he's 15 weeks old! But man he's got energy, should be great for moving some bunnies!

chris kimble
06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Great job!!! Hoe do you like the feeder?.........jm

Jim,
I like the feeder, but there are some things about it that Im not crazy about. Just little design flaws (opinion), but I try to keep in mind that its not made for imprinting hawks! Besides, I bet I havent used it more than 4 or 5 times, it just hasnt been necessary.

wesleyc6
06-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Wes,
I'll try to get some pics of him too. He's not the Parson's variety, he's the shorter kind. He's very small, and he's 15 weeks old! But man he's got energy, should be great for moving some bunnies!

Ah.................you got a "pudding" JRT.clapp

chris kimble
06-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Ah.................you got a "pudding" JRT.clapp

Yes, a little "mud pie" as they are called around here!

Saluqi
08-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Any updates? The gosses should be getting serious about now....

chris kimble
08-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Dang, another forgotten thread! I should keep better tabs on what I have going on in here:D

A friend of mine is flying Juggernaut right now, I dont have a recent update on him but will try to get one. I was being overwhelmed by a variety of personal things while entering him and decided to place him in hands that had more time than mine. He was an absolute blast, and a gentleman all the way though, and I look forward to seeing him again soon. The last report on him was all good and Im told he is to be a pheasant hawk!

Raising that bird was truely a great experience, and he is missed! Sorry I didnt keep the log going like others have, I just have a very full plate at the moment. I'll see if I can get some recent pics for yall;)

wbuffetjr1
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Any updates on how Juggernaut turned out?

chris kimble
01-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I just heard this week that he was killed after colliding with a fence while chasing a pheasant. A sad ending to a really neat bird.