PDA

View Full Version : Rattler

raptrlvr
06-13-2008, 08:05 AM
My wife and I were out running the dogs in one of our hawking fields yesterday. I walked right by this guy {about 2 feet} without seeing it because it was under the bush. As soon as I went by, it started rattling and my wife who was behind me heard it. Tried to get it to come out into the sun, but, it didn't want to play.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0018AB-4.jpg

MikeT307
06-13-2008, 08:31 AM
All kinds of nasty! They are beautiful from a distance though. I'm always scared of letting our dogs roam free when we walk them during this time of the year because of the rattlers.

raptrlvr
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
We have lots of them here, but, this is the first one I have seen. I like you am concerned about the dogs.

hawkstir
06-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Great photo. Snakes are really interesting creatures that I have a lot of respect for. I'm very thankful we don't have venomous varieties in our area.

Kenn Filkins
06-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Wow, great picture.... Scary looking snake. And you were TRYING to get it to come out and play! Falconers ARE crazy.... Thanks for the post, Jim.

raptrlvr
06-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks Fred.
The rattler was coiled up on the ground until I took a step towards it. Then it moved up into this "strike" position, so, I decided that was close enough.

raptrlvr
06-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks Kenn.
It would have been a better picture with a little of the sun on it. But, you take what you can get.

frootdog
06-13-2008, 10:14 AM
We have lots of them here, but, this is the first one I have seen. I like you am concerned about the dogs.

You might look into the rattlesnake vaccine.
http://www.redrockbiologics.com/FAQ.html

GyrXPeals
06-13-2008, 10:25 AM
He's a beauty Jim. I spent a lot of time around Nogal NM in the early 1980's. There were lots of Western Diamondbacks, and even a few Rock and Black-Tails around our little mining operation.
The ones that rattled quick got to stay, the ones that didn't got a ride down to the Malpais in Carrizozo to play with their buddies.
Beautiful Snakes,
ATB,
Jeff

FredFogg
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
He's a beauty Jim. I spent a lot of time around Nogal NM in the early 1980's. There were lots of Western Diamondbacks, and even a few Rock and Black-Tails around our little mining operation.
The ones that rattled quick got to stay, the ones that didn't got a ride down to the Malpais in Carrizozo to play with their buddies.
Beautiful Snakes,
ATB,
Jeff

I have never seen a live rattle snake other than in a zoo or display, so haven't a clue about what kinds are out there. What kind was this one? Interestng black and white stripes near the end of the tail.

GyrXPeals
06-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I have never seen a live rattle snake other than in a zoo or display, so haven't a clue about what kinds are out there. What kind was this one? Interestng black and white stripes near the end of the tail.

Western Diamondback Fred, with an attitude from the looks of it LOLbox2
Jeff

chamokane
06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
That's a great photo, Jim. I've had both a dog and a Redtail bitten by Northern Pacific Rattlesnakes. They both survived but it was not fun.

raptrlvr
06-13-2008, 09:17 PM
The good news is that the hospital in Demming, NM has a good supply of the antidose. Thats about 15 miles from the hawking field and about 40 miles or so from my house. Not that I want to see if the antidose works or anything.

FredFogg
06-13-2008, 09:21 PM
My wife and I were out running the dogs in one of our hawking fields yesterday. I walked right by this guy {about 2 feet} without seeing it because it was under the bush. As soon as I went by, it started rattling and my wife who was behind me heard it. Tried to get it to come out into the sun, but, it didn't want to play.

The question is Jim, why did the rattler wait until you went by to start rattling? :D Makes you want to start looking behind you while you are out there, huh? LOL Just kidding, don't want to spook you from getting out there and taking great photo's of the wildlife and your birds!

frootdog
06-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Western Diamondback Fred, with an attitude from the looks of it LOLbox2
Jeff

All diamond backs are highly aggressive rattlesnakes. Others are much more passive. I've been snake hunting in FL and the canebreaks could care less when you walk up on them. They just keep on thier merry way as if you were not even there.

kimmerar
06-14-2008, 09:42 PM
All diamond backs are highly aggressive rattlesnakes. Others are much more passive. I've been snake hunting in FL and the canebreaks could care less when you walk up on them. They just keep on thier merry way as if you were not even there.

I agree Krys with canbreaks. That's about all we have here (I had my first call on a western last spring here but they had already killed it). I about died when we saw it was a western - we searched that place out for weeks and never found another. But when fresh from the den sights they are all sycho. Even the Pygmy's get fiesty that time of year. Until they get their first shed and meal.

But in south western ok snake hunting we have watched a group walk by a few westerns that never rattled. They were lucky. They could have easily been bitten. The westerns don't always warn you from what I've seen.