PDA

View Full Version : Another major change in plans...

Lee Slikkers
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, once again my job outlook/responsibilities have shifted and it appears I will be able to return back to a semi-normal year. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it will remain this way now.

So, since I had to back out of the Gos from Barry and I saw he had a home for him I went out with a couple local guys looking for Coopers nests. We located 5, the 1st one looked like “pay dirt” but after the climb it was empty, possibly from last year. We continued to search the ground for signs since we knew that Coops were heavily using this mixed Pine & hardwood lot. About 50 yds away from the 1st tress I located a continuous loop of mutes, molted feathers, etc. but the nest looked tiny, almost blown out and in a vey spindly tree. Up the tree and down came the bag with 2 eyas Coops, roughly 9-14 days old.

One of the guys I was with took the older, larger female and I was a sucker and ended up coming home with what appears to be a male Coopers. He weighed 207g last evening so we’ll see. But from his head shape and comparing foot size I’d agree on it being a male.

So, my 1st imprint journey begins….he isn’t the Gos I had longed for but he’ll do just fine I think!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/samandI.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/home1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/home2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/home3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/home4.jpg

frootdog
06-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Sweet! Congrats and good luck.

Kenn Filkins
06-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Lee,

You'll enjoy that little guy. It should be a fun summer, chasing English sparrows and starlings.... Great flights await you and your Coops. Enjoy him and keep us posted.

wesleyc6
06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Congrats Lee. I know you are torn up about the Gos, but enjoy the bird in hand. Glad the work situation changed!

Hawkingcolorado
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Lee,
That's a pretty good turn of events!! Keep us posted daily, if you can...Tim

Bryant Tarr
06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Alright Lee! :D Congrats! Glad you are able to do an imprint this summer...I'll enjoy it vicariously!

Takasho
06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Man there's gonna be flocks of imprint coops out there this summer! Can't wait for all the stories. Definitely keep us posted! rockon

everetkhorton
06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Way to go LEE I would have thought they would be done by now.

Saluqi
06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
SUCKER!!! No really, congratulations!! You'll have a ball, eyasses are so much fun!!

wesleyc6
06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Alright Lee! :D Congrats! Glad you are able to do an imprint this summer...I'll enjoy it vicariously!

vicariously......................and through Leetoungeout

Lee Slikkers
06-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys...this really was about as "spur of the moment" as there is...they asked me twice as they started to haul the bag of chicks bag up to the nest and I couldn't take the pressure. I crumbled, selected the smallest footed and narrow headed chick in the bunch so we'll see where we end up.

I'm still pretty nervous about the whole Coops thing since they are the last bird to learn imprinting on but I guess "Trail by Fire" it is this year...

chris kimble
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Congrats Lee, Im looking forward to seeing your progress!

John
06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Have fun, Lee. Yeah, it's hard to resist when someone's up the tree and you're right there. I don't blame you. Talk about trial by fire though. My first imprint was a male coops, and boy are you in for it!!toungeout Just kidding. I'll look forward to seeing how he comes along.

Lee Slikkers
06-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Have fun, Lee. Yeah, it's hard to resist when someone's up the tree and you're right there. I don't blame you. Talk about trial by fire though. My first imprint was a male coops, and boy are you in for it!!toungeout Just kidding. I'll look forward to seeing how he comes along.

Well, I'm in it now...so you might as well spill the beans. Any last minute "heads ups" you care to toss my way?

John
06-18-2008, 12:53 PM
It was about nine years ago, but the one issue I remember was problems on the kill. I'm sure in my excitement and haste I insulted him in one way or another early on and it stuck with him. So I guess I'd say on the kill and with the lure, mind your p's and q's early on. Those little guys notice everything and are pretty unforgiving.

Lee Slikkers
06-18-2008, 12:58 PM
It was about nine years ago, but the one issue I remember was problems on the kill. I'm sure in my excitement and haste I insulted him in one way or another early on and it stuck with him. So I guess I'd say on the kill and with the lure, mind your p's and q's early on. Those little guys notice everything and are pretty unforgiving.

duely noted....one of my bad habits is rushing in on the kill so this whole thing will be a major shift in my approach to everything.

kimmerar
06-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Congrats Lee. Good to hear and I'm already learning from your thread!! I'm bad too about rushing in to fast. I'm getting better. Maybe you can learn something from flying kbirds besides weight management:D!!

Lee Slikkers
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
...Maybe you can learn something from flying kbirds besides weight management:D!!

Its a coopers eyas... toungeout

kimmerar
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes I definately know whatcha got there Lee!!

OK - I'll change that - maybe flying a kbird can teach ME (apprentices) something besides weight management!!

Lee Slikkers
06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
LOL, just bustin your chops Kim...

kimmerar
06-18-2008, 02:02 PM
LOL, just bustin your chops Kim...

fishslapthumbsupp

This is gonna be a great thread!!

Lee Slikkers
06-27-2008, 08:34 AM
well, its been much too long since my last update, sorry folks. He is doing well. Standing more and more, flapping and hoping all over the place. Feathers are coming down nicely now too.

I think I really mis-guessed his original age when I took him as I've compared lots of pics of others and their ages and now think he was much younger than I thought. I would guess him now to be around 19-20 days...here are a few pics from last night's trip to the buzy kids playground in town (love this place, dowgs, screaming kids, loud Harley's rumbling down the road 30' away. He rarely takes note of anything or makes a fuss. He did about unscrew his head when we had a Dove buzz us though...he stood up in a hurry, about tipped over trying to follow the flight path and then starred and starred at where it had disappeared to...:D

Enjoy. Oh, I almost forgot...I named him Genghis. A bit of a large name for such a fuzz dude but I think he'll grow into it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0031.jpg

chris kimble
06-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the update Lee. Now thats a fro!
Lookin good;)

Kenn Filkins
06-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Lee,
Awesome pictures! Do you need another job? We have a photog company. :D
I loved your description of the tiercel seeing a dove pass through.... Nice work! And that is one of my favorite names -- Genghis!
I look forward more posting of your "mighty warrior!"
With that name you should fly him off horseback.... He would be a natural!;)

wesleyc6
06-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Lee,
Beautiful bird, beautiful grass, beautiful scenery......................average looking falconerbox2boxingg

You are forgiven ONCE for waiting so long to post updates. ;)

everetkhorton
06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Lee:
Looking Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood! thumbsupp

Bodarc
06-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Great pictures Lee and a beautiful bird. I noticed he is banded. Do you have to band pulled eyasses in Michigan?

Lee Slikkers
06-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the update Lee. Now thats a fro!
Lookin good;)
He does have a fro...or did, just two days later and there are pin feathers coming in on his head :D

Lee,
Awesome pictures! Do you need another job? We have a photog company. :D
I loved your description of the tiercel seeing a dove pass through.... Nice work! And that is one of my favorite names -- Genghis!
I look forward more posting of your "mighty warrior!"
With that name you should fly him off horseback.... He would be a natural!;)
Thanks Kenn, he has been a real ball. These pics were just lucky shots. I can only hope I can help him earn his name.

Lee,
Beautiful bird, beautiful grass, beautiful scenery......................average looking falconerbox2boxingg

You are forgiven ONCE for waiting so long to post updates. ;)
Thanks Wes, yeah, the falconer is ugly but he is the dogs danglies toungeout

Lee:
Looking Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood! thumbsupp
Thanks Ev!

Great pictures Lee and a beautiful bird. I noticed he is banded. Do you have to band pulled eyasses in Michigan?
As far as I know we have 5 days to put the marker on them...no exceptions for eyasas that I know of???

bluejack
06-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Very cool Lee. It's great that you have that park stocked with little kids all over the place, oughta make it easy to come up with lots of easy bags.LOL
Keith

FredFogg
06-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Lee, just out of curiosity, since your work schedule changed back so you could do an imprint, was there a reason that you didn't go ahead and get a male gos from Barry or did just pulling the coops sort of happened due to the ribbing from the guys that were pulling one at the time? LOL

Lee Slikkers
07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Well, it's been awhile since I've posted an update on Genghis so here goes...

Genghis (imprint male Coopers) was at 296g last evening when I headed out with him, his lowest weight so far. I decided to go on an honest field hunt with him. I chose a field across from the house I grew up in as a kid since they have left this field fallow for a number of years and it just looked right.

He made his 1st wild kill last night (he was 50 days old yesterday) flying down a LBJ (little brown job) off the glove. The bird got up about 30 yds ahead of him and he was off the glove in a flash and sucked that LBJ up so fast it made my head spin...LOL, I couldn't be more pleased at the moment. Hopefully there are MANY more field hunts like that to come here in the next 2 months or so before the small birds head south.

He mantled on the bird a lot and lost his kill in the tall grass as I trying to clip him in...I think he thought I stole it and so proceeded to tattoo my hands. I backed off and let him settle in again and after he had finished eating he jumped up to the glove nicely. He even tried to leave the glove after a sparrow on the walk back that flushed wild off to our right but I had him already clipped in, I guess having him hood trained would have been a nice option.

Sorry there aren't any pics but I had not recharged my camera so when I reached in to grab it all I found was a useless, dead piece of electronics, such is my luck it seems.

~ Lee
P.S. It was a blast...I'm soooo hooked!!

Takasho
07-29-2008, 10:08 AM
clapp clapp clapp Congrats!

I know I'm not the only one who would like to hear about more flights!

everetkhorton
07-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Lee:
Have you put a bell or transmitter on him yet?

Lee Slikkers
07-29-2008, 12:55 PM
clapp clapp clapp Congrats!

I know I'm not the only one who would like to hear about more flights!

Thanks Isaac...I only wish I had tried this Coop's thing long ago!!!

Lee:

Have you put a bell or transmitter on him yet?

Ev, I have a backpack setup I was going to install on him but my wife refused to be a part of it so needing to get him out a.s.a.p. I took 30 seconds out my day and installed a tail clip mount for my Marshall Micro...which is ok since I wanted a method to attach a tail-saver to him and really didn't want a bell on his decks.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a neck bell so I can here him plucking in the tall grass but I am undecided having never used one or tried one before...

chamokane
07-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Congratulations, Lee. A male Coops is the perfect first imprint. He will leave much smaller scars on your face than a full sized bird.

I really enjoyed the male that I flew. He seemed to think he was Superman, and he was pretty smart about cooperating with me on a hunt.

FredFogg
07-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I have been toying with the idea of adding a neck bell so I can here him plucking in the tall grass but I am undecided having never used one or tried one before...

Lee,

I tail mounted the transmitter on my coops and didn't use a bell. I just don't see the need for it. It is only going to attract other bigger hawks and that would not be good. You pretty much know where your bird went and if you can't find it, you just pull out the receiver. I have done it plenty of times and have never lost my bird yet!

wesleyc6
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Lee,

I tail mounted the transmitter on my coops and didn't use a bell. I just don't see the need for it. It is only going to attract other bigger hawks and that would not be good. You pretty much know where your bird went and if you can't find it, you just pull out the receiver. I have done it plenty of times and have never lost my bird yet!

For what it is worth, I just fly a xmitter too. I put a tailmount on, but I messed up the heatshrink on the tail clip, so I guess I will put it around his leg again tomorrow.

Lee Slikkers
07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys, I will continue with him & his tailmount for now...and no bell as I do agree it is a simple matter to pull out the reciever and get a good bead on him if its needed.

Had a couple good flights with him again last night but the cowardly sparrows bailed on him as he got close. He also decided he likes fur and gave a cottontail we accidently jumped a real hard go at it and only broke off after loosing it in the high cover as well...but he chased, hovered, chased and hovered a number of times before finally breaking off the flight. I hope he never grabs one because I know it will mean an ugly imping job on his little 295g frame! LOL

Lee Slikkers
07-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Flew Genghis at in a couple fields last night, he was very keyed up and slicked down at 292g. The 1st sparrow out of the grass he chased but lost in a down wind flight.

We flushed another sparrow, but it was wide to our right...he chased it about 30yds to a tree and chased it around the canopy for a minute until it busted out the back side. I swear the two of them looked like a high speed pinball game in there :D

We walked a bit more and jumped another sparrow and he sucked it up in less than 20 yds. I made into him let him settle (but probably didn't wait long enough) so I could attach his tail-saver...he got miffed and left the bird and attacked my legs. In the scuffle he lost the sparrow which promptly darted out behind him. He looked over his shoulder and saw it depart, he was off in a flash and chased it down 40yds away and to my amazement he never slowed and crashed right through some very heavy cover after it as it enter the tree line.

I was actually a bit surprised when I got to him and found him mantled over his prize...seems this bird in the hand became bird #2 in the bush. confusedd

sakerjack
07-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Atta Boy!! Fur or feather!!

Lee Slikkers
07-31-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks Ken, feather for sure...although I think on the fur idea anything larger than a mouse or the odd chipmunk will give me a bit of concern. Our CT's average around 3lb's and I really don't think even the boldest of male imprint Coop's can handle one for very long without serious hard to plumage or worse. It sure is fun to watch him think he can do it though...

How's things?

sakerjack
07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Dave Moran's son catches Jackrabbits with a female coop named Sally!! never know I see them in my backyard with Ct's all the time..

Lee Slikkers
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Ken, I'd never doubt a female Coops handling a CT...seen it many times in the wild but this is a tiny 292g male, I think that'd be a real stretch for him don't you?

sakerjack
07-31-2008, 09:56 AM
As I said Sally catches Jackrabbits,, I just think you should let him try anything he'll chase,, I would never underestimate ANY Accipiter saw a male with a CT across the srteet from me last year,, just MO..BUT I am no Coop expert I am sure many on here can give you FAR better Opinions from experience.

Lee Slikkers
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, after Sept. 14th Genghis is weclome to bag every rabbit I flush when out with him, I certainly won't hold him back if he's interested.

Lee Slikkers
08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Genghis was 291g, a touch too lower than I had planned by 3 grams. We had multiple chases with most of them ending with the birds bailing out in the high grass or bushes.

I finally found a nice lower cover field and Genghis still had his head in the game after an hour of flying at two other fields. Within 20 minutes he had his 1st double, a sparrow and a LBJ. clapp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00864.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00869.jpg

I gave him his space on the kill and slowed down. It appeared to have made a world of difference on the kill and with his general attitude.

Making progress...one day at a time I guess. I fed him up to 347 so he should be 8-10g higher tomorrow if I get home from work in time to fly him.

Here he is all cropped up, fat & sassy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00888.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00886.jpg

John
08-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Nice looking guy, Lee. Looks like the fun's just starting for you.

FredFogg
08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Lordy, that ring thing is ridiculous! I feel sorry for you guys having to put rings on your birds, what a stupid requirement! Beautiful guy you have there Lee, sounds like you are having fun with him! Keep up the great pictures, I can't get enough of them!

Kenn Filkins
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Lee,

Sounds like you two are having a GREAT summer! I cannot wait to see him.

I think I will be at the MHC summer picnic in two weeks. Hope to see you (both) there....

Best Regards,

wesleyc6
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
That is one serious looking predator! You guys must be having great fun. Jeff and I were talking yesterday about just how good sparrow flights are. Wow!

everetkhorton
08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Lordy, that ring thing is ridiculous! I feel sorry for you guys having to put rings on your birds, what a stupid requirement! Beautiful guy you have there Lee, sounds like you are having fun with him! Keep up the great pictures, I can't get enough of them!

Fred:
I take it you do not have to band your birds in NC. I take it that is what you meant by ringing.

Bryant Tarr
08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Nice Lee!!!!! Looks like he's really in the game now :D

Lee Slikkers
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Nice looking guy, Lee. Looks like the fun's just starting for you. Agreed!

Lordy, that ring thing is ridiculous! I feel sorry for you guys having to put rings on your birds, what a stupid requirement! Beautiful guy you have there Lee, sounds like you are having fun with him! Keep up the great pictures, I can't get enough of them! I am surprised to hear your state doesn't have a marker requirement...I guess I assumed it was a Federal thing not just a MI thing.

Lee,

Sounds like you two are having a GREAT summer! I cannot wait to see him.

I think I will be at the MHC summer picnic in two weeks. Hope to see you (both) there....

Best Regards,

I look forward to seeing you there Kenn and my plans are to bring Genghis along...hoping to sneak away to a nice little field it I can manage the time.

That is one serious looking predator! You guys must be having great fun. Jeff and I were talking yesterday about just how good sparrow flights are. Wow!

The sparrow flights have been a real rush for me...this is SO unlike any rabbit or squirrel hunt w/ a large broadwing. So far I am hook in a major way. crazyy

Nice Lee!!!!! Looks like he's really in the game now :D Yup, slowly but surely I think we are making some positive progress with him Bryant...good to hear from ya.

John
08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Nope, not federal. We don't have to band our native birds either. I had to band my first redtail 16 years ago, but they did away with it I'm sure to save paper work for the state guys. Some passages do have to be, but not redtails, coops etc.

Lee Slikkers
08-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Huh, learn something new everyday I guess...

I guess some of MI origins for the band likely derive from the Audubon involvement of our Falconry regs but I don't know for sure...certianly an ol' guy whose been around for ages (like Ev) could answer that one though...lol.

chamokane
08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
The sparrow flights have been a real rush for me...this is SO unlike any rabbit or squirrel hunt w/ a large broadwing. So far I am hook in a major way. crazyy

The male that I flew caught a lot of quail, pigeons, etc., but my favorite flights were at House Sparrows. Fast, furious action, in and out of bushes, in all directions at once, pretty amazing.

Chris L.
08-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Lee, nice job on the double.. looks like your having a good time. Keep it up!

FredFogg
08-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Fred:
I take it you do not have to band your birds in NC. I take it that is what you meant by ringing.

Yes, I was talking about the ring you all have to put on birds you trap in Michigan, totally ridiculous. A wild caught bird doesn't need a ring. I can see a captive non-native to that area bird, but a captive bred native bird shouldn't have to have one, let alone a wild trapped bird. I just don't see the need. Who is it for? I know I don't need one on any of my birds. Here in NC, we have to have them on captive bred harris hawks and peregrines. I think that is really the only requirements. Of course, folks that buy hybrids get them with the rings on them, but even then, I think the only ones that have to have them are ones that have some sort of native bird in the mix. Just more requirements for the feds to try and enforce with no really good reason.
JMO.

Jimmy
08-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Fred,
ALL captive bred birds are required to be banded with a seamless metal band. That's a federal thing. I would have thought you knew that since you have a prop permit........ All wild taken Gyrs, Peregrines, and Harris Hawks also have to be banded, per the FEDS. The states can require any other bird be banded as they see fit. We don't band any of our birds here in GA., other than the ones required by the FEDs.

FredFogg
08-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Fred,
ALL captive bred birds are required to be banded with a seamless metal band. That's a federal thing. I would have thought you knew that since you have a prop permit........ All wild taken Gyrs, Peregrines, and Harris Hawks also have to be banded, per the FEDS. The states can require any other bird be banded as they see fit. We don't band any of our birds here in GA., other than the ones required by the FEDs.

Partially true Jimmy, lanners and sakers don't have to be banded! Most do band them, but technically, they don't have to. And I don't know anyone breeding native birds in the state of NC, so I did list all birds that have to be banded that are possibly being produced. And if you trap a wild gyr or Harris in NC, I will give you a $1000. LOL. And if and when we are able to trap a pere, I wonder if it will have to be banded as we don't have to band any other wild trapped bird here in NC. I just think the whole concept of bands on birds is stupid. Just something extra on them that could possibly go wrong.

Jimmy
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Fred, I listed all the birds that NC requires a band on. Lanners and sakers don't count as they're non native to the US (plus I didn't even think of them...). And yes, you'll have to band a peregrine if you ever trap one, as it is required by the FEDs. If you ever possess a wild trapped Harris or Gyr in North Carolina, it'll have to be banded, as it's required by the FEDs. Same with any captive bred bird, native to NC or not, as it's required by the FEDs. The point I was making is that all the ones I listed are Federal requirements, so it doesn't matter what the state says. They can't be more lenient in those cases. Got me now?

Lee Slikkers
08-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Well Genghis is coming along nicely...we had caught 13 head in his 1st week of hunting. Added a triple on Saturday and 4 yesterday...all field hawking so far. Here are a few pics, enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0124.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0125.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0126.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0127.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0136.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0139.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0140.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0141.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0143.jpg

BestBeagler
08-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Pretty cool Lee. Isaac

wesleyc6
08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Lee, what some great pics and obviously a great bird! How is his behavior and noise at this point? I bet he loves those sparrows. My bird pursued a small field bird ( I think it was an E. sparrow as we weren't far from town, but I am not for sure. It really looked alittle big and a little fast) today. It was one more awesome flight that went back and forth and up and down.

How quickly does your bird catch most of those sparrows? 20yd, 50yd.....?

Takasho
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Great pics Lee! Thanks for sharing. Isn't field hawking a blast?!

hawkstir
08-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the great pictures. All these stories about coopers is making me want to try one someday. Might take a passage if I get the chance this fall.

Lee Slikkers
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Lee, what some great pics and obviously a great bird! How is his behavior and noise at this point? I bet he loves those sparrows. My bird pursued a small field bird ( I think it was an E. sparrow as we weren't far from town, but I am not for sure. It really looked alittle big and a little fast) today. It was one more awesome flight that went back and forth and up and down.

How quickly does your bird catch most of those sparrows? 20yd, 50yd.....?

Wes, he has some minor aggression issue, due mostly to me trying to trade him off a kill before he was ready. I have changed my methods and working him through it and he appears to be coming around. For the most part he is quiet but he does get vocal from time to time, nothing I can't live with though...

I'd say the sparrows are caught in a mix of distances, the young ones he sucks up usually in the 1st 20-30yds...yesterday we had 3 flights that all went easily 80-100yds with him making the catches in the air on adult birds so he is gaining stretch and skill.

He did carry his 1st kill yesterday but he had already caught 3 and eaten 2 sparrows + my tidbitting so I was probably pushing my luck as it was...live and learn I guess.

Great pics Lee! Thanks for sharing. Isn't field hawking a blast?!
Thanks Isaac...I had no idea it could be this much fun.

Thanks for the great pictures. All these stories about coopers is making me want to try one someday. Might take a passage if I get the chance this fall.

They are a fun and challanging bird to work with...I've certainly screwed up plenty with him but I'm learning plenty and will be a better falconer for my time with him.

Bryant Tarr
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Great pics Lee!!!! How fun!

chamokane
08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
clapp

Takasho
08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0127.jpg

One more quick question: Is the sparrow smacking into the side of the truck on this pic or am I seeing something that isn't there?

P.S. Do you mind if I post some of your pics on my blog? Not having enough adventures of my own lately...:D Credit will, of course, be given.

John
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Those are some great pics, Lee. He really must be muscling up nicely making kills on those long flights.

Lee Slikkers
08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Great pics Lee!!!! How fun! Thanks Bryant, he's been a real treat to fly.

clapp Thanks

Isaac, that flight had me holding my sides with laughter...Genghis chased that sparrow high & low and the sparrow thought he had made cover in the trucks and then took a hard left turn, he ping-ponged off that thailer about 5 times in 2 seconds...Genghis broke off the chase when he heard it smack the trailer.

You are more than welcome to use them on your blog...enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC_0031.jpg

Lee Slikkers
08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Here are a bunch of pics of his indoor housing that I keep Genghis on...not as exciting as the hunting pics but I thought I'd share them anyway.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0051.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0052.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0054.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0055.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0056.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0060.jpg

Takasho
08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I may have missed it somewhere but what weight does the little guy fly at?

Lee Slikkers
08-05-2008, 12:01 PM
292 grams...give or take a gram.

laj
08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Here are a bunch of pics of his indoor housing that I keep Genghis on...not as exciting as the hunting pics but I thought I'd share them anyway.

WOW. Very nice series of flight photo and great looking indoor housing. Thanks for taking the time, I know how inconvenient it could be sometimes.

wesleyc6
08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
292 grams...give or take a gram.

Awwww.............what a cute little birdie;) Does it eat bird seed? I am sure you haven't heard that yettoungeout

Lee Slikkers
08-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Awwww.............what a cute little birdie;) Does it eat bird seed? I am sure you haven't heard that yettoungeout

Yup he does, he picks it right out of the crops of his freshly killed victims rockon

hawkstir
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Yup he does, he picks it right out of the crops of his freshly killed victims rockon :Dclapp

FredFogg
08-05-2008, 07:24 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/PICT0060.jpg

That sure is a purty bird! I have never seen a setup so clean. Come on, admit it, those pictures were taken right after you put the bird on there for the first time! LOL. I bet the back wall is now painted in a nice splashing pattern. :D What are the walls made of? The whole set up is very, very nice. I like the eye ring on the top, I think I will move mine. I have also seen this same setup with a bar with a ring on it that goes over the perch in the middle so the ring can slide over.

tony123abc
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, I wish I had something original and exciting to add to this but I don't. Just like all the others I think the actions shots are spectacular. The one photo that shows both the hawk and the sparrow tucked mid flight is my favorite. What timing! And I like the inside perch set up you have. Neat clean and compact. Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post em. Gosh I want the moult to end. Tony

Lee Slikkers
08-06-2008, 02:05 PM
That sure is a purty bird! I have never seen a setup so clean. Come on, admit it, those pictures were taken right after you put the bird on there for the first time! LOL. I bet the back wall is now painted in a nice splashing pattern. :D What are the walls made of? The whole set up is very, very nice. I like the eye ring on the top, I think I will move mine. I have also seen this same setup with a bar with a ring on it that goes over the perch in the middle so the ring can slide over.

Fred, that pics was 4 days after I put him on it...the material is called Kingboard, it's a marine grade type of poly we use on our boats and it sheds water, mutes, etc. They mostly slide down into the Kitty litter at the base of it. What does slide off wipes up with warm water and a paper towel. The screw eye in place of the ring/bar have worked nicely for me, he grew up on a similar arrangement and takes this one in stride.

Well, I wish I had something original and exciting to add to this but I don't. Just like all the others I think the actions shots are spectacular. The one photo that shows both the hawk and the sparrow tucked mid flight is my favorite. What timing! And I like the inside perch set up you have. Neat clean and compact. Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post em. Gosh I want the moult to end. Tony

Tony, that pic is my favorite so far this season as well. I got a female HH that I can't wait to get out of the chamber as well...a couple more weeks and I will begin to reduce her and setup up some advanced training for her for this season.

P.S. So far Genghis has brought 21 head to bag in 8 days of flying/hunting. We've only gone home empty handed on the 2nd day we went out and since then he is murderous in the field...last night he took 3 head. I love this little guy to pieces.

tony123abc
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I get out in the evenings with my falcon, but she has not figured out that she is a regal hunting bird yet. She is still at the play in the bushes and zip about for a while stage. And I must admit I don't mind so much. She is fun and we both are learning. If I were you, I would blow that photo up. I know I would gladly pay some of my wife's hard earned money for a print. Now I am getting the coopie itch reading and looking at all the pics. I am just afraid it would kill all the shrikes and magpies in N. Nevada. It is a real paradox. Guys like you having so much fun, but I know my shrikes would suffer; even if I tried not to stuff em. Keep em coming, I'll fly my coopie through you guys. Tony

Takasho
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
So far Genghis has brought 21 head to bag in 8 days of flying/hunting. We've only gone home empty handed on the 2nd day we went out and since then he is murderous in the field...last night he took 3 head. I love this little guy to pieces.

Living my dream man, living my dream! rockon

Lee Slikkers
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
again, its been a few days since I've updated this thread but here are a couple pics from yesterdays hunt, nothing fancy, one of Genghis mantling on and eating his kill, a pic of him after on the glove and a few more shots of the habitat I hunt him in. This particular spot is one of my favorites…wide open where the flights are visible for hundreds of yards and with industrial parks ringing the piece it is loaded with Eng. Sparrows in the evening while they dust, eat bugs and roost in the thickets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00894.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00901.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00902.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00904.jpg

Here's the habitat...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00896.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00897.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00898.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00899.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LeeSlikkers/DSC00900.jpg

Takasho
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Great pics! Looks like a fantastic place to field hawk. I can't wait to get back out in the field.

His tail still looks great too! Any problems in that area?

John
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
That really does look like a nice spot. Looks like he's doing well. How's the demeanor etc?

Lee Slikkers
08-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Great pics! Looks like a fantastic place to field hawk. I can't wait to get back out in the field.

His tail still looks great too! Any problems in that area?

No problems so far, he does mantle quite a bit and crashes cover like a mini-RT so we'll see how long it lasts us this Fall.

That really does look like a nice spot. Looks like he's doing well. How's the demeanor etc?

Thanks John, he is doing well...his demeanor is tolorable, he has his moments but I've learned to live with them and work around certain issues.