PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Manitoba!

DianneB
07-06-2018, 07:15 PM
I have been a critter person since childhood and a big fan of raptors since my teens growing up in the woods of southern Ontario. Life (and apartment dwelling) intervened after college until I moved to eastern Manitoba in 1980. When I bought my first home (1997) there was a pair of Golden Eagles nesting in the trees behind my house and I felt this place was truly blessed! (The eagles moved away when red foxes moved in and cleared out the small game about 2004 :( )

I retired in 2012 and this past year something (maybe missing my eagles) prompted a renewed interest in raptors. There are many in the general area that I see or hear occasionally, from Goldens nesting somewhere east of me to Red Tailed Hawks, Snowy Owls (in the winter), and I have heard Great Horned Owls and Barred owls nearby. I am particularly fascinated by owls and that led to a whole bunch of online research, including Provincial laws governing the keeping of raptors and searching for local falconers. I am also a "handler in training" at a wildlife rehabilitation centre and was recently introduced to a Kestrel.

Despite my interest in owls, a smaller hawk would likely better suit my somewhat limited income (a pension) and my resources. Building a large mews would be expensive and, with our climate, outdoors wouldn't be suitable during hot summer days of 90F and LONG COLD winters of -22F. I don't have a large house but a Kestrel could be housed indoors without much trouble. Being close at hand would probably foster a closer relationship with my bird and make maintenance easier.

Though I have no interest (at this point) in hunting "wild game", a falconer's permit would be easier to obtain under Manitoba laws and it could be fun hunting mice, voles, and grasshoppers with a Kestrel in my "back 40"! :)

Excuse the long introduction - I do tend to get "wordy" LOL!

Anyway, I am continuing my learning while waiting to hear from the authorities about a permit to keep a raptor. Then it will be time to start collecting the things required to keep a bird of prey.

Chasj87
07-06-2018, 07:42 PM
The thought of getting a falconry license as an easier mean’s to obtain a raptor will not set well with many falconer’s myself included. Falconry is defined as the pursuit of wild quarry in it’s natural state and habitat with a trained raptor. Any goal other than this is not falconry. Hunting should never be considered a byproduct of falconry but the essential goal of every falconer. You mentioned being involved in rehabilitation and it sound’s like that may be the right path for you. I am sorry if I come off as rude but this is the simple truth. Falconry is a hunting sport and anything less is unacceptable in my opinion.

DianneB
07-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Up here the regulations for having possession of a raptor are VERY strict and pretty much limited to rehabilitation centres and associated "education programs" approved by the government. The regulations for possessing a raptor for falconry are, in some ways, more onerous (in terms of housing, maintenance, etc.) but are clearly defined and offer more latitude in the use of the bird. That's what I meant by "easier".

I think hunting mice and grasshoppers with a Kestrel would be in keeping with "wild quarry in its natural state". I am not interested in cleaning and eating rabbits or game birds but my Kestrel could eat mice and grasshoppers! :)

Chasj87
07-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Hunting mice and grasshopper’s with a kestrel is absolutely a form of falconry. I just wanted to make clear that a licensed falconer obtains a raptor to train and hunt. As long as that is what you’re intention’s are I wish you the best of luck and would love to follow you’re progress through post’s on this site.

Neil Balchan
07-07-2018, 02:41 AM
Hi Dianne. There are a couple of us in the province. Our climate and quarry situation can make for less than ideal hawking in a lot of cases. Feel free to shoot me a message.