PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Florida

Mohawk918
02-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Hey there. Mohawk918 here. I new to this group and actually still new to falconry. Im located in St. Augustine, Florida with my family. I am originally from Oklahoma where Red Tail Hawks are about as common as mosquitoes here in florida. Red Tails have always been my favorite bird and animal and always said if i could choose to be a animal what it would be would be a red tail. I have always known people hunted and owned these awesome birds but didnt know much about it. About 3 months ago i started to research this and fell in love with the whole art and sport. I dont know if i will ever do it myself but i want to learn all i can and support this and maybe someday ill be doing it and loving it. Im here to learn all i can and just meet new people. I plan tomorrow to contact the FWC to get a packet and hopefully a list of people who could let me tag along on some hunts and maybe in the future be my sponsor. I look forward to meeting everyone here and learning from you.

Tyme2fly
02-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the journey

Mohawk918
02-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the journey
thank you. i look forward to it.

rri32701
02-04-2019, 04:11 PM
You do know first year RT's have like a 80% mortality rate I think I'd want to come back as something with a little better odds.Just sayin!!! Welcome to NAFEX!I know there's a few falconers in the Jax area good luck.

Mohawk918
02-04-2019, 08:40 PM
You do know first year RT's have like a 80% mortality rate I think I'd want to come back as something with a little better odds.Just sayin!!! Welcome to NAFEX!I know there's a few falconers in the Jax area good luck.
yea i know. still they are awesome. Ive been trying to find some here around me in the jax area with no luck.

varminthunter243
02-04-2019, 10:03 PM
I think I'd have to go with a prairie myself haha

Ezly88
02-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Do you know how I can reach the falconers in jaxa area

Mohawk918
02-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Do you know how I can reach the falconers in jaxa area
I wish. I have been searching and searching but havent found anyone. Im in st augustine and would love to meet up with anyone in the jax area. Please let me know if you find anyone.

Ezly88
02-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Seems like there's ppl around here but not actually willing to sponsor newbies guess others ruined it for us in the past lol apparently from what I've read ppl dont show up and waste their time

Heero
02-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Sign your posts with your name, guys. It’s part of the forum rules to which you agreed when you signed up.

Keep at it. Potential sponsors want someone who isn’t going to waste their time, you’re right in that. It is also the end of the hunting season for most people, probably especially so down there in your warm
climate.

Good luck,

Mike

Mohawk918
02-11-2019, 11:16 AM
ok there fixed my signature. Sorry bout that. Guess i missed that.

Hunting for rabbit is year round here and squirrel season goes until end of march so should still be good for hunting here. Im not necessarly looking for a sponsor but just want to tag along and see it all in action. i want to make sure i can do it all and meet new people in the process.

Ezly88
02-11-2019, 11:19 AM
I would still like to participate in off season training or flying or really anything to speed up the 2 year process

Heero
02-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Cool.

Weight management gets tougher as temperature increases and this time of year you’ll start killing pregnant rabbits and squirrels in warmer climates — a lot of guys cut it off this time of year to let the game replenish. I’m sure there are still a few going at it, tho.

Mike

Mohawk918
02-11-2019, 11:26 AM
ok sounds good. Ill keep grinding and seeing if i can find anyone who will even talk and share stories with me. Im willing to drive and help where i can.
Cool.

Weight management gets tougher as temperature increases and this time of year you’ll start killing pregnant rabbits and squirrels in warmer climates — a lot of guys cut it off this time of year to let the game replenish. I’m sure there are still a few going at it, tho.

Mike

JRedig
02-11-2019, 12:58 PM
I would still like to participate in off season training or flying or really anything to speed up the 2 year process

if your goal is to just hurry up the 2 year process, you're probably not understanding what this is really about.

Ezly88
02-11-2019, 02:36 PM
if your goal is to just hurry up the 2 year process, you're probably not understanding what this is really about.

Yea maybe so be nice to have some one show me how to understand it in person I feel like reading and talking about it you wont really feel the dedication and actual physical work it takes to cater to the hawk and train it which is why I'd wana speed up the 2 year process and get started on the physical work the actual handling and the feel of your hunter on your hand as you get familiar with him you know how ppl used to do it back in the days guess time changes ppl change

Nimure
02-11-2019, 02:43 PM

^Hahahahaha! This is why we're friends. I just cracked up at work. Thanks Robert!

100%

~~~~~

I think I've seen both of you on the fb group. That's a great start. Please read the webpage I've been working on and familiarize yourself with the expectations we have of people looking for sponsors: http://flgamehawkers.com/

I am trying to add to this weekly, so read everything and then keep checking up on it. Based on some comments I've seen it clear that at least a few folks have not read any of the available information. I can say that by not having read it, and still posting asking for a sponsor in our group, is only going to hurt you because most folks are well aware I made the website.

Otherwise, welcome to NAFEX. This is a great place to read and learn. Falconry takes time, as I've stressed. It's not going to happen overnight, it may not even happen in the next two years. Be patient, and take this opportunity to learn.

Lloyd
02-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Yea maybe so be nice to have some one show me how to understand it in person I feel like reading and talking about it you wont really feel the dedication and actual physical work it takes to cater to the hawk and train it which is why I'd wana speed up the 2 year process and get started on the physical work the actual handling and the feel of your hunter on your hand as you get familiar with him you know how ppl used to do it back in the days guess time changes ppl change

I'm kind of having trouble following your post, but I get the impression you think that you won't be handling a bird during your 2 year apprenticeship. You are required to hunt with a bird each year of your apprenticeship.

I don't have a full list of books in front of me, but I suggest starting with any legal documents regarding falconry in Florida and the United States. From there, move on to more falconry books (North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks by Beebe and Webster is a great one) to gain an understanding of what the sport is about.

Reading and talking about it is a great way to understand the dedication and work involved in falconry. Getting out in the field with another falconer helps, too... but you would be surprised how much you can learn from the publications available.

Information is more readily available now than it ever has been.

Good luck and have fun on your journey!

Nimure
02-11-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm kind of having trouble following your post, but I get the impression you think that you won't be handling a bird during your 2 year apprenticeship. You are required to hunt with a bird each year of your apprenticeship.

I don't have a full list of books in front of me, but I suggest starting with any legal documents regarding falconry in Florida and the United States. From there, move on to more falconry books (North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks by Beebe and Webster is a great one) to gain an understanding of what the sport is about.

Reading and talking about it is a great way to understand the dedication and work involved in falconry. Getting out in the field with another falconer helps, too... but you would be surprised how much you can learn from the publications available.

Information is more readily available now than it ever has been.

Good luck and have fun on your journey!

What I think he may be thinking of is the fact that I told him it takes an average of two years to find a sponsor in our state. Many falconers are not sponsoring right now, and those that are require a fair amount of work, like hunting with them for a full season before being sponsored, etc. I explained that this was not going to be a quick process, and that patience is very important in the sport of falconry.

Again, you NEED to do the reading before hand. I linked you a website with all the information a beginner could possibly want, including book recommendations and test study guides, etc. As much as you feel you'd do better learning with a bird on the fist, I disagree. A fair amount of learning should happen during an apprenticeship, sure, but knowing as much as possibly before getting started will set you up for a more successful first season as an apprentice. If you were completely new to everything you'd likely make more mistakes than necessary with a first bird.

Also to even get a sponsor you need to have passed the state falconry exam.

Tyme2fly
02-11-2019, 07:16 PM
If you are goin in this with the mindset of hurrying it up! Ya might want to check what ya say before you leap. All licensed falconers have gone thru the process and we all are a little touchy taking on an apprentice. I feel for you as to thinking it seems hopeless to find someone near you but. Maybe you just need to slow your roll. Do you have the funds saved to build your mews, make or purchase your gear? Are you able to even dedicate the time? This isn’t a hobby to most of us it’s a lifestyle..... I don’t want to sound like a jerk but just trying to open your eyes to the reality of what it takes to be a falconer.

varminthunter243
02-11-2019, 07:49 PM
I've been around falconry for a long time. And I spent many an hour talking with my sponsor and really getting a feel for what it was going to take both financially and in respect to time. I think I was more prepared than most before my apprenticeship, and it was still a shock. Not financially, if you're halfway handy with a saw and screw gun you can drastically cut down initial financial investments, but time wise. 1300 miles and countless hours, just trying to find a passage bird to trap. Spending 3-4 hours a day holding a piece of meat in front of him waiting for a bite. Dragging yourself outside after a 13 hour work day to get in some creance flights or jump ups to keep progressing to free flight. But then you fly free. And then suddenly he takes a perch at the top of a tree, you kick a bush and a bunny explodes out the other side. You holler, hear his bells go over you, a quick wingover, a crash, a quick scream, and suddenly all of it was worth it. The late nights, the pain of your first time not watching his feet close enough, the heartbreak of a couple good sessions followed by a bad one......then it's too late. You're hooked. You're a falconer. Some may dispute just how much of a falconer you are at that point, but it marks a passage. It's not like anything else where you join a club and buy some equipment and call yourself a member. Without the time and the sweat and the blood, what is it really worth? If you want instant gratification for your efforts or a fast track to success, this ain't the activity you want to be pursuing. But if you want to be a part of something extremely special, where the title carries with it a distinguished mark of pride in that anyone who knows what goes into taking wild game with a bird, will instantly recognize you as a legit member of their ranks, then this is it.

Ezly88
02-12-2019, 02:31 PM
I've been around falconry for a long time. And I spent many an hour talking with my sponsor and really getting a feel for what it was going to take both financially and in respect to time. I think I was more prepared than most before my apprenticeship, and it was still a shock. Not financially, if you're halfway handy with a saw and screw gun you can drastically cut down initial financial investments, but time wise. 1300 miles and countless hours, just trying to find a passage bird to trap. Spending 3-4 hours a day holding a piece of meat in front of him waiting for a bite. Dragging yourself outside after a 13 hour work day to get in some creance flights or jump ups to keep progressing to free flight. But then you fly free. And then suddenly he takes a perch at the top of a tree, you kick a bush and a bunny explodes out the other side. You holler, hear his bells go over you, a quick wingover, a crash, a quick scream, and suddenly all of it was worth it. The late nights, the pain of your first time not watching his feet close enough, the heartbreak of a couple good sessions followed by a bad one......then it's too late. You're hooked. You're a falconer. Some may dispute just how much of a falconer you are at that point, but it marks a passage. It's not like anything else where you join a club and buy some equipment and call yourself a member. Without the time and the sweat and the blood, what is it really worth? If you want instant gratification for your efforts or a fast track to success, this ain't the activity you want to be pursuing. But if you want to be a part of something extremely special, where the title carries with it a distinguished mark of pride in that anyone who knows what goes into taking wild game with a bird, will instantly recognize you as a legit member of their ranks, then this is it.

Chris that's what I want to experience the whole actual blood and sweat the hours in the woods or back road trapping your bird actual field work I love all that to me in my opinion in any type of hunting it's the field work you put in what makes you a hunter not the the many books you have in your library at home which I understand you can learn new methods and tips to make your life easier and the birds but I mean if your sponsor has any knowledge I'm sure you would learn what you need to learn from your sponsor if I had the ability to sponsor someone I'd be eager to teach that way I'd have buddy's to hunt with and enjoy nature in the field, and continue this ancient sport instead of lettingit be forgotten I'm a carpenter I always have access to building materials and a electrician so the expense on that part is no issue for me I already made my own hoods and anklets I love building my own things it's part of the fun for me I'm still looking for the right glove think I found one I'm probly going to order it next week idk I've breed pigeons and chickens I know the work involved in caring

Nimure
02-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Chris that's what I want to experience the whole actual blood and sweat the hours in the woods or back road trapping your bird actual field work I love all that to me in my opinion in any type of hunting it's the field work you put in what makes you a hunter not the the many books you have in your library at home which I understand you can learn new methods and tips to make your life easier and the birds but I mean if your sponsor has any knowledge I'm sure you would learn what you need to learn from your sponsor if I had the ability to sponsor someone I'd be eager to teach that way I'd have buddy's to hunt with and enjoy nature in the field, and continue this ancient sport instead of lettingit be forgotten I'm a carpenter I always have access to building materials and a electrician so the expense on that part is no issue for me I already made my own hoods and anklets I love building my own things it's part of the fun for me I'm still looking for the right glove think I found one I'm probly going to order it next week idk I've breed pigeons and chickens I know the work involved in caring

That is one heck of a run on sentence.

You do learn what you need to learn from your sponsor, however you're not going to just magically get a sponsor that's worth anything without putting in the work first. You need to show you're dedicated, and hunt with other people for a season or two before you'll get an offer of sponsorship. We are not just sitting around looking for "buddies" to teach. Most of us already have friends to hunt with, and most of the folks wanting to get into falconry just think it's cool and want a pet hawk, not to actually hunt. Learning and being a brush beater for a season or more before starting shows that you are truly dedicated and that you have the time for falconry. It also gives you a step up so that you don't make stupid mistakes with your first bird, because you've had the opportunity to learn FIRST by watching someone else train and handle their birds.

This sport is not in danger of being forgotten, but reality is, not everyone interested in it is cut out for it. Falconry is a lot of work, time, and patience. If you're not willing to put that in now, how will anyone be able to believe you'll be willing to put that in when you have your own bird?

Heero
02-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Out of curiosity...

There seems to be 3 or 4 potential apprentice introductions from Florida for every 1 introduction for all other states combined. Maybe an antecdotal observation, but it sure feels that way. What is it about Florida that’s attracting so may would be apprentices?

Mike

Nimure
02-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Out of curiosity...

There seems to be 3 or 4 potential apprentice introductions from Florida for every 1 introduction for all other states combined. Maybe an antecdotal observation, but it sure feels that way. What is it about Florida that’s attracting so may would be apprentices?

Mike

Who knows? lol. Most falconers I know say they'd quit falconry if they had to live in FL. It's certainly not a particularly falconry friendly state. The regs aren't bad, but the climate is pretty awful.