PDA

View Full Version : good apprentice vid

redtailflyer
07-15-2008, 05:33 PM
This is a good video for an apprentice that wants to fly a red tail or just about anyone thats interested in falconry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTN1uofJ50

anasari
07-15-2008, 11:28 PM
This is a good video for an apprentice that wants to fly a red tail or just about anyone thats interested in falconry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTN1uofJ50
Been one of MY favorites for months!

gabboon
07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
that's very well done!

Ted Bell
07-16-2008, 11:00 AM
His statement at the beginnig about the origins of the bird raises some questions. He said that he got her from a raptor rehab facility because she had a broken wing (I assume he received her to do "physical therapy" work on her prior to her release), was intending to release her back into the wild, but kept her becuase she worked so well. The migratory bird folks at the FWS have told me specifically that a bird cannot be transferred from a rehab permit to a falconry permit. This not only included releasable birds, but birds that are non-releasable that might still be suitable for falconry. (I'm not talking about a temporary waiver to allow a falconer posession to exercise and work with the bird in preparation for release, but a permanent transfer to a falconry permit.) This is based on their interpretation of the falconry regs that state a falconry bird must be wild caught or captive bred- they claim transferring from a rehab permit is not "wild caught," (and obviously not captive bred.) This was not a hypothetical discussion, but an actual position they took in regards to a rehab bird that was non-releasable due to accidently imprinted by the rehabber. I disagree with their position, or course. Unfortunately, I was not aware of this interpretation at the time the intitial re-writing of the regs was going on - would seem to me to be an easy and not terribly controversial fix to add "non-releasable raptors suitable for falconry transfered from a rehabilitation permit" to the list of acceptable sources for falconry birds.
-Ted

tony123abc
07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, maybe he released it ran the the truck set out a BC and trapped it! Works for me. tony