PDA

View Full Version : BROADWING HAWK

YARAK191
07-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Has anyone used a broadwing for hawking??
Car hawking??
I know they are small but if a kestrel can do it 300 grams should be good ENOUGH.
Grackles and maybe some rat hunting in barns!!!crazyy

BOONE BIRD MAN

gabboon
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I think one problem with them is their truly migratory nature. Good chance you'll lose it during the season and when that happens, will it be too late for it to make the trip? If you intend to release it after the season will that have messed up its migration instinct and lessen its chance for survival?

MikeT307
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I've heard of someone in central Florida flying them but I don't know where I heard that from.

My guess is that it would be similar to a RS hawk. I'm not sure of the their temperament but I'd imagine they would probably be really good on starlings and small rodents. Broadwings are mostly a forest hawk so I'd imagine that birds and small rodents make up a good part of their diet.

They are the most common raptor in our area this time of year. The bars on their tail make them seem like a cooper's in flight. Only the length of the tail and the fact they are a little more stocky then the cooper's give them away at a glance.

YARAK191
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
All that I have read is they are the most abundant raptor but nothing in the ways of falconry.(probably a reason why):D
Im working with a rehab bird who will be getting a new coops tail this weekend and then released.
It was brought to the rehab after hitting a car.

Im not looking to use this bird but we do get juvies and thought maybe i would try someday.

boone bird man