PDA

View Full Version : Forum Overhaul Question

Flatwater Falconer
08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Chris - A few concerns regarding the upcoming overhaul please . . .

Will the overhaul you are planning affect (erase) our posts?

Will it affect the various features now working? Such as number of posts members have submitted? Or number of hits on threads?

Will this overhaul wipe out the entire site and we'll be starting from scratch?

There may be others who are wondering about the overhaul as well.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate your time and efforts to keep this forum up and running. It's very enjoyable.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/davenport88/DSCN0007-1.jpg

Chris L.
08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Chris - A few concerns regarding the upcoming overhaul please . . .

1)Will the overhaul you are planning affect (erase) our posts?

2)Will it affect the various features now working? Such as number of posts members have submitted? Or number of hits on threads?

3)Will this overhaul wipe out the entire site and we'll be starting from scratch?

4)There may be others who are wondering about the overhaul as well.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate your time and efforts to keep this forum up and running. It's very enjoyable.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/davenport88/DSCN0007-1.jpg
Doanna,
great questions and hank you for asking them.

I have numbered your questions.

1) No all posts will still be here. I will be baking the entire forum up just inase it does erase the data base.. but, upgrade should not do that.

2 & 3)No, all information and post ounts will be the same. What is happening is there is a more stable version of this board out , but it is a big upgrade so it wil just take time. Same software just big upraded version, so everything should be the same.. but as I said I will do a entire back up to make sure I dont lose it all in cyber space

let me know if you or any others have any concerns or questions. I appreciate your input

MikeT307
08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Doanna,

1) No all posts will still be here. I will be baking the entire forum up just inase it does erase the data base.. but, upgrade should not do that.

Chris send me some of that forum pie you are baking up. Maybe it will cure the rash that has developed since I heard the forums will be going down for a little while...at least I think that's why the rash appeared:eek:

JonnyG
08-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Chirs, Will the new version be altering the database? or is it just a cosmetic "skin"?
I assume that with any "big" upgrade that takes more than a few minutes to complete, some kind of upgrade or DBKit will be applied to the database, might wanna make sure that the schema and table data are also backed up when you do your baking ;)

tumble
08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Doanna,

I have numbered your questions.

2 & 3)No, all information and post ounts will be the same. What is happening is there is a more stable version of this board out , but it is a big upgrade so it wil just take time. Same software just big upraded version, so everything should be the same.. but as I said I will do a entire back up to make sure I dont lose it all in cyber space

let me know if you or any others have any concerns or questions. I appreciate your input

Havv ewe bin drinkkkingg?

:)

Chris L.
08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Chris send me some of that forum pie you are baking up. Maybe it will cure the rash that has developed since I heard the forums will be going down for a little while...at least I think that's why the rash appeared:eek:

LOL, thanks mike...I know my spell check wasnt working... and I was in a hurry Sorry. Thanks for busting my B_lls frus

Chirs, Will the new version be altering the database? or is it just a cosmetic "skin"?
I assume that with any "big" upgrade that takes more than a few minutes to complete, some kind of upgrade or DBKit will be applied to the database, might wanna make sure that the schema and table data are also backed up when you do your baking ;)

Jonny, thank you for the input.. yes it is a big upgrade. I will be backing everything up. Skins should be the same as well as the layout.. just the data base is being reworked

Havv ewe bin drinkkkingg?

:)

No i think Ev hacked my account toungeout

redtailflyer
08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey Chris are you doing the overhaul at the end of this week...or have you already done it because i dont see any changes?

Chris L.
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Chris are you doing the overhaul at the end of this week...or have you already done it because i dont see any changes?

you will see the changes slowly. It is an ongoing process as I have to find new programs that are going with the upgrade. It is happening... please hang in there.

redtailflyer
08-22-2008, 02:25 PM
i know what you mean lol i was just wondering! thanks for all your hard work Chris!!!!

Chris L.
08-26-2008, 05:46 PM
i know what you mean lol i was just wondering! thanks for all your hard work Chris!!!!

thurman,
no problem man!! i dont mind questions at all...

Chappy99
09-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Will or are RSS feeds available for the forums?

Thanks

Chris L.
09-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Aaron,
Check your pm's

areal
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Chris.
Dont mean to add pressure to your upgrade schedule but the v3.6.9 you are running is vulnerable to a XSS attack that's being actively exploited at the moment.
You no doubt know that you will need to update your flashchat to the latest version (let me know if its any help and I'll send you a link you can download it from)
Also remember to revert all modified templates back to their defaults before running the 3.7 beta2 update (included as part of the update to the latest version) otherwise you will get errors in a few pages (thread listing and UserCP) after the upgrade is complete.
All your plugin modules should now be available for v3.7, drop me a PM if there's any modules youre not sure of and I'll see if I can find them for you.
Might be worth going onto a recent version of VBAdvanced as well. (Let me know if you need any help building a navigation menu, they are quite easy once you get the hang of it.
Seriously though, I wouldnt delay doing that upgrade unless there's a good reason why you cant run it.
Regards.

Chris L.
09-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Evan,

Good to hear from you my friend. Yeah, that XSS is why I am updating. I am currently getting all the plugins for my mods. That is the hold up right now. It should all be complete by Wednesday. Keeping fingers crossed. I have been backing up and double checking everything so it will go smoothly. Thank you for the offer with the help. I will keep you in mind for sure. I will drop you a line if so

thank you again

areal
09-09-2008, 03:53 AM
Chris I know exactly what youre up against with those updates.
Just thinking back the one big gotcha I ran into was restoring the VB Backed up databases into the newer version of MySQL recommended for VB3.7
My solution was to backup the old database using MySQLDump, drop the old database, do the upgrade to the new version of the database engine and then restore it from the mysqldump created backup. (The VB backup seemed to loose the indexes and triggers from a number of tables)

Also if youre using the PMCrypt module you should issue a certificate revocation and then re-issue a new encryption certificate.
Only other mods that were a pain were the ones to display flashchat on the front CMPS page and that turned out to be down to the sequence the mods were installed in.
Oh and one other but you dont have it installed. There's a quick launch menu we had on WFF that severly breaks VB3.7 but as I said you dont use it so no need to worry about it.

If you'd like to do a test run (I think I did about 40 before I commited to doing the upgrade on the live WFF) give me a shout and I'll setup a test site for you to experiment on before you commit yourself to having no choice but to get it right.

Chris L.
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Evan,
Thanks you again for you help. The upgrade is a big one and Its almost there. So many just think its a click of a mouse and its done. Keep these forums running smooth and staying away from hacks and such and upgrading is time consuming, but its worth it. I enjoy it for sure !!! Speaking of hacks, my server just had a nasty hack put on it last night! Guy sapping the hell out of the band width and slowing the server WAYYY down.. not a big attack, but in the same it was a hack... crazy people out there.
I am about to try it out on one of my test servers. I really appreciate your advise and help. I will be in touch for sure.

thanks again..

how is WWF going You all get it worked out?

Chris L.
09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
see updated thread
http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?p=47553#post47553