PDA

View Full Version : Hello

voslerdo
08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Hello...I am new to forums so please be patient with me. I am a goshawk lover and have a new first time tame hack. I am so impressed I can't believe it is real. My last gos was a recipe and had some health problems but sure could hunt! I had a female chamber raised bird that I inherited and had poor luck with. She seemed to hate everything (including me!)! I train my own dogs (goldens) and live next to a hunting preserve. I hope to hunt ruffed grouse with this new gos and am focusing presently on conditioning. I am entering to rabbits first so I won't lose the opportunity. I feel I'm behind schedule at present and am really interested in any tame hack info I can get. Barry sold me the gos and has been very helpful. I have been a falconer for 13 years, but feel I'm still inexperienced. I have had health problems of my own, but currently have acceptable energy and ability to hunt. I am really looking forward to being a part of this forum!

Joby
08-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Scott,
First of all, welcome to the forum. I think that you and I are the only two Ohioans on this board. What part of Ohio do you hail from and are you a member of OFA? Good luck with the Gos. Haven't had much experience with them myself, although we have a new falconer her in central Ohio who has around 30 years of experience with accipiters. Once again, welcome to the board.
-Joby

John
08-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Welcome. Good luck with the gos. Always nice to have more goshawkers, and you seem to have some varied experiences. I'd love to hear how the hack has come along and how it works out.

everetkhorton
08-14-2008, 11:09 PM
(welc) Scott. There are a few new Goshawker on the forum this year. Lot of new bird, so it will be interesting. Post often and we alway like pictures. Thanks for signing your post!

sharptail
08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Welcome Scott!! It is the beginning of a new season, I always feel like I am behind in the beginning!

voslerdo
08-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Scott,
First of all, welcome to the forum. I think that you and I are the only two Ohioans on this board. What part of Ohio do you hail from and are you a member of OFA? Good luck with the Gos. Haven't had much experience with them myself, although we have a new falconer her in central Ohio who has around 30 years of experience with accipiters. Once again, welcome to the board.
-Joby
Hello....I'm from Eaton, Ohio...just a hop west of Dayton. I am a member of OFA and hope to go to the picnic this year. I plan to bring a print of my last goshawk that was painted by Chris Walden and used as a DU print in Tennessee a couple years ago. Hope to see you there!

voslerdo
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Welcome. Good luck with the gos. Always nice to have more goshawkers, and you seem to have some varied experiences. I'd love to hear how the hack has come along and how it works out.
I cannot believe how well the hack is going! Victor is now three months old. He is dog tame and actually seems to like coming to me. He plays with my two goldens when he is out and runs off anything else in his "territory". He chased a young redtail, a coopers and a great blue heron out of the area in the past two weeks. I am entering him to rabbits, but he hasn't killed one on his own yet. I hope he will this week. I'm dropping his weight just a bit to rev him up for the kill. His fat weight is 735 g. and I flew him today at 700g. I think he will probably hunt better at a lower weight. I really don't know how low to take him since he is so tame. I had to take my other goshawks low just to get field control. This tameness is new to me. Any advice would be appreciated!