PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico Micro Meets

Saluqi
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey Y'All,

We're having a couple of meets right before and after the NAFA meet, so if you are traveling through the Land of Enchantment whilst on the way to NAFA think about a slight detour.

Our annual shortwinger meet will be held on Friday November 28th on the Westside of Albuquerque, meet at the Coke Plant (Unser & I-40) at 7:30AM. Call or email Paul Domski (505 604-6736, emtn_hawker@yahoo.com) for details.

The longwing meet will take place on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday -- November 14th, 15th, and 16th -- at a location in southern NM to be determined shortly. Those interested should contact Matt Mitchell (505 838-4595, riobirds@zianet.com) who will coordinate.

These are not meets in the sense that we have a hotel and speakers and all that crap, this is just folks getting together to hunt, laugh, and drink. If you are interested in the shortwinger meet contact me.

Chris L.
09-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Count me in for the 28th!!! beeer.. looking forward to meeting the NM guys!!

raptrlvr
11-11-2008, 10:44 AM
The New Mexico Longwing meet will be at Ed Schaubs house on the 14th 15th and 16th. Ed called this morning and said his new garage has doors on it and will be available to sleep in. He is also putting in a wood stove or a heater so it should be pretty comfortable. There will be at least one Arizona falconer there and Ed says that the turnout should be even better than last year. He said there should be rabbit hawking available to anyone that wants to come.A fun time for all. If you need directions you can contact me. Ed lives in Buckhorn,NM which is right on the AZ border.

Chris L.
11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Jim,
hate I wont be there for that one.. but will be able to make the second one paul is putting on... are you going to both?

raptrlvr
11-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Chris, give me an email so I can send you the picture I took of you at the NM rabbit meet. Congrats on the jack.

Chris L.
11-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Chris, give me an email so I can send you the picture I took of you at the NM rabbit meet. Congrats on the jack.

Jim thanks.. had a blast!!! it was great to meet you. enjoyed watching your HH fly. Did she score one?

I was pretty pumped about the jack.. They are huge!! it is amazing they go after them!!

my email is admin@nafex.net

I enjoyed meeting the NM falconers. Thank you guys for showing me great time

raptrlvr
11-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Chris, yes my HH caught a cottontail in that field and then a jack in another field that Mike took me too. Mikes Tiercel HH caught 2 cottontails in another field.
We didn't get a chance to talk too much, but, it was a pleasure meeting you and watching your HH fly. I forgot what urban hawking is like.The fields I fly in are in the country and no roads,cars,house's or power lines have to be worried about. I'll send you the picture I took.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0032A-2.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0070A-1.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/DSC_0094A.jpg

Chris L.
11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Jim,
great pictures.. congrats on the bunny. I will be back soon for sure

I had a blast out there!!!

looking forward to the pictures

raptrlvr
11-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Chris, I clicked on the link you gave me to send the pictures, but, the pictures were returned saying the link was not valid. Do you have another email address I can send them to?

Chris L.
11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
HMMMM,

well i just sent you a PM

raptrlvr
11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Got it and sent the pictures.

sharptail
12-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi Jim,
I also had forgotten what urban hawking is like until spending the last month in Boise on a longer than planned work project. In my case it is with longwings, and I am finding it to be a struggled to just keep the condition I have thus far, this season and get any work done. Fortunately some local falconers have shown me the ropes as far as duck hawking, not too far away and are ballooning fairly reguarly. The mallard, Lox caught(Monday) last, ended under someone's livingroom window, it is a wonder that urban longwingers manage to keep there birds season to season for all of the added hazzards. My hawking life has been a bowl of cherries,for many a year, sure would be nice if the lord would allow it to stay that way for longer!

raptrlvr
12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Jeff, I know what you mean. I hawked for years in Southern California which is a concrete jungle. I had my eagle end up in a ladies back yard and we were always tracking falcons through the neighborhoods. The fields are right in the back yards of housing tracts. Plus all the crap we had to put up with from law enforcement. Tony123 and I were out there one day when the helicopter {cops} came over us and then squad cars came out in the field because one of the neighbors thought we were gun hunting . I had my telemetry receiver with me and that was what they saw. I am so happy to be hawking where I am now. Its so wide open.

sharptail
12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Jeff, I know what you mean. I hawked for years in Southern California which is a concrete jungle. I had my eagle end up in a ladies back yard and we were always tracking falcons through the neighborhoods. The fields are right in the back yards of housing tracts. Plus all the crap we had to put up with from law enforcement. Tony123 and I were out there one day when the helicopter {cops} came over us and then squad cars came out in the field because one of the neighbors thought we were gun hunting . I had my telemetry receiver with me and that was what they saw. I am so happy to be hawking where I am now. Its so wide open.

I grew up in Long Beach and hawked in Orange County. Places like Brea Canyon Dam and the oil fields of Huntington Beach. But that was many many years back.

raptrlvr
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I worked in Long Beach for about 20 years and my wife was born and raised in Long Beach. Her parents still live there and my sister still lives in Long Beach. We still own a house in Norco just down the road from Brea Canyon. small world. We lived in Southern California for over 50 years.